Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• My mother loathes Abide With Me and has sworn to come back and haunt me if it's played at her funeral. Too many memories, I think.

Weedy - class cover image . If it really looked like that I'd reinstate my lapsed RW subscription.

LR - Calves! Calves! That's almost always where the problems start with feet. Massage the life out of those knots.

Currently in hairdresser's waiting for emergency pre-holiday barnet attention.

In other news, I almost saw Jess Ennis today. She might be able to run a record-breaking 110 metres hurdles but she can't get to a book signing on time image .
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Glencoe Marathon  for you, next year, yer_maj?

Depending on your start time, DLR, can I come too? Or bike along with water/general abuse in reserve towards the end...image 20 miles would take you to Balloch and a nice lunch at Loch Lomond...

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    My mother loathes Abide With Me and has sworn to come back and haunt me if it's played at her funeral. Too many memories, I think.

My Dad had a close call a few years ago and has already planned out his entire funeral and everything required (songs/poems etc). It makes it a lot easier for 'us' but it's morbid to know that that's already planned and paid for.

Have a great holiday, RR! image

• yer_maj wrote (see)

You smooth talker, you...

Yer only jealousimage

Eggyh73 wrote (see)

DLR - Sounds good to me, as long as you are in Eggy speed mode and not DLR speed mode!

I'm scheduled 20 mile LSR for that weekend.  Injury allowing.  Might even do 22.  If we end up doing some together and some apart that's ok, but I'm not scheduled any MP miles.

Running Rodent wrote (see)

LR - Calves! Calves! That's almost always where the problems start with feet. Massage the life out of those knots. 

Yep....with you on that.  I've got some quite hefty knots at the top of the FHR as well as a couple of other areas.  Going to spend a good 20 minutes going at them tonight, and every other day.

ATM wrote (see)

Depending on your start time, DLR, can I come too? Or bike along with water/general abuse in reserve towards the end...image 20 miles would take you to Balloch and a nice lunch at Loch Lomond...

Hell aye - the more the merrier!

• DLR: I booked the Motel One, Berlin-Alexanderplatz. To be honest I have no idea where it is, I'm lucky to have a German running friend ("ze German") as TD and I (and apparently DV) like to refer to him). I did check trip advisor though and the reviews were good.

Wasn't sure what to put on the times. On the first page, before putting the code in, it asked for "best time". So with poor translation, we could feasibly understand our Target time was required. But then further on (after the code) it asked you for the place and date that you did it... but you could also leave it blank. I put 2.59 in both image
  • Evening chaps. 

Hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your thread!

New to this thread and runners world forums. Entered for Paris this year and really excited for it, will be my 3rd one. 

JP

• Hi there HG. Third marathon or third time in Paris? Or both? Tell us about yourself - and if you're prepared to add your number and starting pen the list fairy will wave his/her (depending on who's on fairy duty) wand and add you to the list.

Hair done. Had the unusual experience of two ladies doing me at once (steady DLR, mind the footimage ). I think they wanted rid of me so they could go home.
  • Now then HG / JP welcome to the thread.  Pop up your number and pen colour and we'll add you to the list.

Neil - that's fairly near Emmy & Kaz and not too far from the Sex Dungeon Radar Sal has had me book.  Convenient for night before's carb fest and quiet celebrations after.

• Neil - That's a good location. Short S-bahn ride to the start.

Hockey Goalkeeper - Welcome to the thread.

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
     Had the unusual experience of two ladies doing me at once (steady DLR, mind the footimage ).

Well, that's taken my mind off it.

• Thanks folks. 

That took me longer than anticipated to find. Had to complete my ASO profile.

Bib number- 5000 (should be easy to spot!) 

Pen: Rouge. 

About myself. Well I'm a hockey goalkeeper. Play a reasonable level, which takes up a lot of time but don't really get my aerobic fix from it. Always loved running.

Did the London Marathon couple of weeks after my 18th Birthday in 2008 (took my dads place as he pulled out) -  absolutely loved it. Ran about 3hrs 18mins. 

Then did the inaugral Brighton Marathon back in 2010. I managed that in 3hr 6mins. 

Couldn't really commit to any marathons in last couple of years, but did Leeds and Sheff Half last summer, did 1hr 29, and 1 hr 27.

So really now my main aim is to break Sub 3, I think I've got the pace, but it's being able to implement it over double the distance! 

Thinking of joining a club in Leeds now i've graduated. Any recommendations?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

James - I used the Asics plan last year for my first marathon. I finished, so it must have done the job but I think that it is best used as a very good guide rather than a bible.

The plan that it gave me only had one 20 mile as my longest run. I asked about this, on this very forum, and was advised that it would be better to do more than one.

I'm not sure of your target time, fitness, commitments etc but use the Asics as a guide add a couple more longer runs and take it from there.

What sort of time is the Asics plan projecting for you?

My Dad always wanted "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" at his funeral. We used to say to him that if he popped his cloggs in the Summer then he was going in the freezer. My Dad was very organised and went on December 5th, so we had his hymn. Trouble was, Mum was a church organist. Every Xmas afterwards she had to ask that one of the most popular Carols wasn't included when she played. She still got caught out a few times. It's a bit of a downer at a carol service when the organist is in floods of tears.

• The Hockey Goalkeeper wrote (see)

Thinking of joining a club in Leeds now i've graduated. Any recommendations?

What part of Leeds are you in?

• Headingley, so there's a fair few around. Thinking of Hyde Park Harriers as I've seen them training Tuesday nights. Looks a good turn out. 

• Hyde Park are definitely a growing club.  Tom Williams from Marathon Talk is their head honcho.  Others that sort of border Headingley would be Chapel Allerton and Kirkstall.  Don't know much about CA but do know a few members at Kirkstall and they're definitely a really friendly bunch.  Slightly further out from Headingley there'd be Abbey Runners, Horsforth, Valley Striders, Fell & Dale or even Leeds City.

Depends what your after though - whether it's company or coaching.

I'm a little further out in Cookridge, though do most of my long runs along the canal between the city centre and Bingley.

• Excellent. Tom used to be my tutor at Uni, so might head that way!

Do a lot of my training along that canal too, use the gaps between bridges for farlek training if ever forget my watch. coaching would be useful, but to be honest I've only ever trained by myself, so some like minded people who run a similar pace might be more beneficial. 

Thanks for your help Rob! 

• Lovely 10 miler this morning, Nice chill in the air (3 degrees C).  Would have also been a perfect flying day

/members/images/698298/Gallery/photo-32.JPG

/members/images/698298/Gallery/photo-33.JPG

• Wow, that looks amazing Dannirr.

• Nice photos Danirr

@engineer - thought for a minute you were at my works junket @bfi on Thursday but then realised you were there weds night... I was on holiday so missed said junket in fancy London.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dannirr - wow stunning photos. 3 degrees? Are you back in Atlanta? Didn't think it got below 50 (smiley face - fruit based machine)
  • Good Morning KOC-ers...    

Dannirr...  that's a lovely photo...  lovely autumn tree colours...  sounds like good conditions for a run..

I took my daughter to see Evanescence tonight, at Wembley Arena...  superb gig...  they played all the best songs and we had a great time...   time for bed now...

Welcome new people...  I'll update the list tomorrow...

• Yup, this is Atlanta!  Mixed trail and road run followed by pumpkin pancakes image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Just a quick one from me...

@Neil - I stayed at the motel1 at alexanderplatz a few years ago. Very clean and close to alexanderplatz without being noisy
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning...grrrr..I hate dark mornings. At least I'll be in the fields when the sun finally struggles up..

Welcome to the thread, HG. *mmm A fast-running hockey player..Where is the other one..?image * We think we know someone who can help you towrds that sub-3...

Dan, one day we'll all turn up on your doorstep. Your photos are lovely.

Back, in daylight!

• Looks very nice does that Dannirr.

I like the autumn colours when running.  There's some stretches of the canal where there are trees overhanging and you get a thick layer of fallen leaves accumulate on/below the water.  All sorts of shades so it looks like a glazed mosaic.

• Dannirr - That looks amazing! Atlanta is on my visit list!image

ATM - I agreee, I also hate the dark mornings!

Today I ran on a trail next to the shore, so saw the sun coming up over the Hoy Hills with spectacular colours of red and orange.Now I realise why I don't want to stop running.The mornings may be very cold, but watching the sun come up is amazing! Very happy this morning after my 7 miles!image

• I know not of whom you speak ATM. I could only call myself an ex-fast hockey player and ex-fast marathon runner. I'm really not sure what to call myself these days. Maybe I'm a "becoming something"; just don't know what yet.

Big work study project at business school finished yesterday and delighted to say my team won a prize. Shame I was driving as I could quite happily have stayed for a few more glasses of wine. For those of you wanting some help with running plans, I should now have a bit of headspace to get round to it.

Haven't run since Tuesday night so the pain and swelling in my knee has gone back down, so hopefully I can give it a go in an 11km race lined up for tmrw afternoon. It's weird racing on the back of minimal training. Takes longer for sureimage
  • Great photos Dannirr. Love the colours.

A new race in Elgin today, sponsored by Glen Moray Distillery. A choice of 10k or 10 miles. Beautiful crisp, clear day here so I am going for the 10 miles. Hopefully get a wee dram at the finish...

Weedy - brilliant mag cover photo.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hang in there , TD. Let's see what the doc says or what your current metamorphosis produces...

kaz, I was out in the dark, too..I run a loop; Westwards, first half.I like the black once I'm out there and I love the twilight bit...every shade of grey/blue..As I turned home, East, the sun came up and blinded me image No heat in it, of course but the winter sun is brilliant. Err, literally... 'Down side? A super- icy shower. Compensation? A beautiful rainbow in a perfect arc. I want to keep running, too.

Go, Simon! Those conditions are perfect for racing.

• Going to try an exploratory run this morning to see if my lungs still work. Good luck Emmy, Simon, and anyone else racing. Surely you'll get a liquid reward from the sponsors?

My reward for early morning runs round here is seeing the sun rise over Billingsgate Fish Market image . Love the pics Dannirr - not at all the way I had imagined Atlanta.