Shane Sutton, Bradley Wiggins & Me

It seems to be the week for bicyclists to fall off or be knocked off their steeds.

On my second loop over Combe Jibbet this afternoon (Top 100 UK climbs) on a medium descent at 27mph according to the Garmin, off I came, oops a daisy.  No brakes just went away from me, took some photos of road surface which is pretty shabby.

Got away with it big time if I'm honest, ruined my tights & overshoes, left knee looks like a cricket ball nice and shiny & oozing blood, mmmmmm, elbows & forearms bashed up.  Managed to ride home after a bit of a lie down.

Steed is fine luckily it went down on the non drive side, pedal took the biggest blow, thank god I stuck the nasty winter wheels on this week.  

Think I might feel it in the morning.

Comments

• Well you're able to type so that's a godsend!

Sounds like a lucky escape!

Glad ok!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Seems to be a timely reminder to wear a cycle helmet.

Doesn't stop some though despite the potential dangers. Saw a women cycling along with a small child strapped into a seat behind hers. Neither had helmets on. 

Beyond words.

🙂

• D0MD0M ✭✭✭

On my way back from swim session last night at about 9.15pm, on a dual carrageway  where cars go at 50mph ish, saw i guy on a bike with duff lights and no helmet, riding along texting.  Muppet.

• That is just asking for it.  I'm well protected, always, always without fail wear a decent helmet, I race cars so have always had the mantra $10 helmet $10 head.  It was broad daylight, although I wasnt wearing a hi-vis yellow jacket of authority my clothing is bright.  The roads I'm on are very quiet I can go for over an hour on these routes without meeting another soul.

The glass of single malt seems to be helping the knee, got a Park Run in the morning, a chance to show off the battered guns!

• Hope you're alright, and you wounds look spectacular enough to show off tomorrow, but not too sore.

I've been rethinking my winter running kit as Bradley Wiggins got knocked off on one of my usual running routes- I already wear high-vis, but think I'm going to get some lights and stuff. I also noticed yesterday how spectacularly unobservant a lot of the local drivers are! 

• Dreaming Of Magic wrote (see)

On my way back from swim session last night at about 9.15pm, on a dual carrageway  where cars go at 50mph ish, saw i guy on a bike with duff lights and no helmet, riding along texting.  Muppet.

I bet you couldn't do it

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Dreaming Of Magic wrote (see)

I once saw a guy riding along, no helmet of course, shopping hanging off his handlebars, headphones on and texting while doing no hands. On a main road with traffic attempting to get by.

I didn't make this up.

🙂

• One of the reasons I tend to run in the winter rather than cycle is that I feel much more vulnerable when the visibility is poor. There are plenty of muppets, both behind the wheel and on two wheels, but even for the best driver a bike is just not as visible as another car.

• I switch to off-roading on my MTB throughout the winter, don't feel very safe out on the roads in poor visibility.

• did you make the park run or had your poorly body seized up.

glad to here the bike was ok

• No Park Run in the end, knee was stiff as a board this morning.

Did an hour of intervals at the gym on a spinner which was fine at about 5:30 this afternoon, tried to run on the treadmill afterwards, no chance gave it up after 30 seconds.