Weight Training ?

As I'm recovering from a recent sprained ankle I'm still not able to run but have been going down to the local gym a couple of times a week.

I'm getting on well with the aerobic stuff, typically doing 30 mins each on a stepper, bike and cross trainer, but am wondering about doing some upper body training on the weights machines, but I have absolutely no idea how to use most of them.

Does anybody know any good online training resources ?

Comments

• Why can't u ask the instructors? When you join a gym they should have made u have an induction before working out. To make sure your safe on the machines image
  • Jason Wintin wrote (see)
    Why can't u ask the instructors? When you join a gym they should have made u have an induction before working out. To make sure your safe on the machines image

Not a bad idea, but this is a council run 'pay-as-you-go' gym and there's very rarely any instructors around. I could ask in reception, but I guess I wanted to walk up to the machines as though I knew what I was doing and not look like the new kid in the class infront of all the bigger kids.

• At one point in time the bigger kids were in the same position. Instructors shouldn't be hard to find. It's a legal requirement that they are present.

• Can't really go wrong looking at scoobysworkshop.com

Go to exercises, leg exercies, etc, some useful stuff there.  There is a ton of other good information on the site.

The guy who runs it is mostly a body builder but has done the Ironman Triathlon too.  He has some great videos on youtube too.

• Basic weight training should be split into 3 sessions, chest and biceps/ back and triceps / shoulders and core for 3 rd session, allow a day rest in between and I recommend you take a protein supplement or make sure you eat enough protein in your diet, also check various on line site different excersises and always make sure your for is good.

Hope this helps
  • Thanks everyone. That should be enough to stop me feeling like the new boy.