Lunch time runs and no shower?!

I need to pack some mini runs at lunchtime just 3-4 miles to make up some runs I've lost in the evenings because its dark. We don't have a shower and I get just one hour! I've tried this once before but I wasn't sure how much of a no no it is. I mean sink hot water and flannel? Is it so bad? It's not summer so for me sweat is not so bad? Anyone got any tips or advice?

Comments

• wet sipes and towel...........i suppose it depends on how hot and sweaty you get..for me its my hair that gets wet.............if you are a light sweater you would probably get away with it

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Depends how close to your colleagues you sit (or how close to you THEY have to sit!)

As long as you have a thorough wash it should be OK, but a thorough wash takes time.

• I cycle to work and sweat buckets. No one complains about me smelling. I do ask and the people that I know would tell me say I don't pong.

Change your clothes obviously and wear deodourant / body lotion etc if you are worried.

My clothes do whiff and I usually stick them on the line in the fresh air.

My best piece of kit is Lush 'Dirty'.

• Sink, hot water and flannel will sort you out fine. As long as you are basically a clean person and have a proper shower and wash your sweaty kit every day, you may look a bit dishevelled after a lunchtime run and a quick rub down, but you shouldn't pong. Be careful of going overboard on too much deodorant/body spray to mask a stink that isn't there. Really strong perfume is almost as bad as B.O.

• There are two types of glands for sweating and it is the bunch that aren't primarily for temperature regulation that are more smelly. These are concentrated in hirsute regions. I'm more smelly after a stressful meeting than a run, sometimes. I hardly smell after a run, just am damp. I admit I'm on a bit of an extreme, but this is confirmed by my gfimage Hence I can get away without a shower at work. You might be as lucky.  Of course, if you stay damp and in damp clothes, then bacteria will thrive in that environment and some of them create that classic baked bean smell. I agree witrh r-w-d that a flannel wash could sort you out, paying attention to the hairy bits where those one type of glands are concentrated, and get out of the damp kit straight away.

I prefer not to use an anti-perspirant or do much that stops the non-smelly colonies of bacteria from having the upper hand. but if there is already a "problem" then you might have to adopt another strategy.

• Showers are fine after runs as well, but part of my preparation when I go for a run includes taking a shower. Unless I've had a shower in the past 24 hours, in which case I probably won't shower beforehand, but I feel much better starting a run if I have showered before getting into my kit and heading out. Then when I get back I just wait until I'm dry (with the help of a towel if I'm in a hurry) then use deodrant mostly as a pre-caution. 

• Apologies if this is a daft question, but instead of faffing about washing from a sink every other lunchtime, couldn't you get a headtorch and just carry on running after work? If the only route available to you where you live is mega-busy with traffic then fair enough, but otherwise running in the dark isn't that bad (I quite like it tbh - esp. off-road stuff).

• You may also want to consider stretching hairwashing to weekly, more in tune with habits 50 years ago, plus more eco-friendly.

Re the headtorch suggestion, I find the new Petzl Nao really good for evening runs. It's a good compromise of weight, brightness, convenience and battery life.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Trimm - I've tried that but it's more of a death wish that you can imagine. The minute it gets dark, the cars just cannot see you. I'm thinking of running at lunch but am in the same situation as the OP. No shower and although I think I could get away with sitting in the office for the afternoon: am not sure my colleagues would appreciate it!