Sunday 11th November 2012

Morning!

Lyrics: I am just a poor boy
Though my story's seldom told

What: rest day!
Why: being careful not to do too much too soon

Good racing yesterday, particularly RFJ.  Not my kind of race, Dustin! Good to see you got to parkrun GGG.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning.

Heavy frost here this morning.

Glad you enjoyed it Dustin - can't see the attraction myself. Hope today's race goes well.

More good racing from RFJ.

Very sensible Alehouse.

Hope the hip is ok today emzap.

What:              an hour or so on the bike once it warms up a little
    Why:               I feel the cold more than Blisters.
    Last hard:       21/10
    Last rest:         4/11

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning ale and LMH

Yesterdays lyrics: 'Homeward Bound' by Simonm and Garfunkel.

Todays lyrics: Thats a yup

A  Cold and frosty one up here , quite slippy underfoot when walking Geordie

'Lest we forget'  on 11th November.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

"WE WILL REMEMBER THEM"

Off to church complete with medals in a bit

8.25m done with Jnr on a lovely cold and frosty morning...

Take care

• Weather turned out a bit better than expected here - may see if I can drum up some interest in kayaking. That's the what and why.

• "Lest we forget"
    Lyrics: Definitely
    What: Tae Kwon Do again
    Why: Tonight because I'm the instructor
    Last Hard: 14/10
    Last Rest: Thursday
    Little M. iss M yes, that' s the one, 4 x round the airfield (Slowly)
    Well done all racers..join you soon
    Hope tp start running again tomorrow, cough permitting.
    Have a great day all

• Morning everyone, off out for a steady 7 miles in a while.

Thought I knew the lyrics, but not so sure now...

Great running yesterday RFJ and Dustin.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

What: lacrosse training
    Why: it happens
    Last hard: that match!
    Lyrics: 3 days in a row!!!

LMH Hips seems ok.  A bit of aching generally, but a definite imrpovement to a few months ago! How are you feeling about the half?
    Ale how is the achillies feelin after the walk?

Have a good one all

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Lyrics: yes - this is by far and away their best song, with possible one exception.

Sensible hat on today - 9.4M comfortable and relaxed

Dustin: glad you enjoyed your mud bath....definitely not my sort of thing.

There was a time when I thought that the DTT was being over run by cyclists...but it seems that Lacrosse, Tae Kwon Do and Kayaking are now making a play for the thread image The only sports I've ever played are running (road, XC and track) and football. I did a fell race once in which the experience of running up paled into insignificance compared with the decent!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

afternoon all,
    I'm with Tom...running and football in the main, but did play hockey, rugby & handball for the school - seems a long time ago now....
    what - 6 or 7 miles very easy, with the first couple on the track while eldest had hockey fixture.
    why - tired legs, sore hamstring, didnt want to risk running the sunday league cross country
    last rest - thursday
    last hard - yesterday

lyric - possibly

• Straycelt - I'm doing that one too.

emzap - races for the rest of this year are training really, next target race is Brass Half at the end of January.

Shame you had to miss the x-country Dustin but a sensible decision.

Hang on Tom - is that what you class as a recovery run after yesterday's hard effort?

My sensible head was on and despite appropriate clothing and a beautiful day I was mindful of next weekends race and just did an hour on the bike.

• Good racing RFJ.

Yeah Tom, what LMH said, you seem to be stepping it up a bit, not long since you were down on running (comparitively).

Dustin: oooof. Not for me.

Quick race report from me. Windmill 10k in Lytham. On the same course I ran the Windmill Half earlier this year, with the same headwind/tailwind scenario. Mild quibble: don't like 10k races measured in mile markers. Confusing, trying to do maths and run at the same time.

I'd trained pretty well in advance of this (mainly because I'm in a 15k next weekend) and was feeling genuinely quite good ahead of the Remembrance Day delayed start. 

Don't have time checks other than crashing through the tailwind-affected first mile in 6.15. For the whole race I felt solid, steady, relaxed, upright, and comfortable. For much of the race a chap from a club I didn't recognise (possibly Eryri) and I pulled each other through the headwind, before he found a new gear inside the last kilometre.

Admittedly conditions were favourable in terms of temperature and having a flat, familiar course - nonetheless, I am pleased to report a new PB of 40.18, shaving 2.14 off my previous benchmark. At first I was disappointed not to break 40, but perspective has since kicked in.

Lyrics: yes.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    7Ds congrats on the PB, 2:14 is some improvement. The 9.4M was a very leisurely untimed affair which is what I usually do on a Sunday. It was yesterday's effort that was bonkers - hopefully I've got it out of my system for a few weeks. My average mileage over the last three months has been 50mpw with very little variation. The only likely increase on this over the next few months will be about 5-6mpw as I consolidate my LSR at 16M. If I get to next spring in decent shape and injury free I'll set myself some summer targets to celebrate my 65th with image
  • Nice work 7d

My planned seven miler didn't happen, we've been dog sitting for a friend and her long legged jack Russell thought it would be more fun if she took us all for a game of hide and seek :-/

No idea of the milage (dogs should warn you that a garmin will be required) and can also report that my Nike trainers and jeans are no good for running in...

On the plus side, we finally caught her safely image
  • Little M. iss Happy...will be plodding round with a running buddy and a young man from work who wants to break 2 hours so will be 9mm. What time are you going for?
    I'll probably be in my Macmillan top.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Sweep great impromtu run.  Glad you found the little one safe and sound though.
    7D great 10km, and well done on the huge pb!

• Congratulations 7d - excellent PBing - no need to make excuses for good courses and conditions!

sweep - glad you found her ok, it's a real worry - especially when they're not yours.

Tom - still harbouring thoughts of a marathon?

Straycelt - dream target PB (currently 1.39.08); pleased with sub 1.40 will settle in the circumstances (it's not been a great year) for sub 1.45. Will be running in a Shelton Striders vest, probably with a pirate buff and fingerless gloves.

• Tom if it's any consolation running won the day. All other local kayakers were busy so no one else to kayak with. 9 miles on the road instead.image
    (and add canine orienteering to the list!)

7D great PBimage

Sweep LOL

• Lyrics Yes.
    7D, as has been said, 2:14 is a significant improvement in a marathon, let alone a 10k. Whatever the conditions, you've still got to run it.
    LMH, for someone who says that they feel the cold, I have to remind you who was out in the frost and who was taking to the waters at 8 degrees. It wasn't me.

Today, Somewhat achy. I dunno why, other than the big run and hard bike ride. It feels as though I've raced this weekend.
    Swim later..

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMH - Marathon....not any more. I do admit however that it's one of my greater running regrets that I never ran one in a time deserving of my fitness. Only one run was a 2:41 when realistically I had a sub 2:28 in me. Still I've had a lot of satisfaction from running over the years so one disappointing performance here or there won't make too much difference. Back in 2005, having run 79.xx for the HM I did think that sub 2:50 might be doable which would have been a good stab at making amends, but given where I am now I'm at a loss to see the redemptive attraction of 3:30 (even if I could manage that!)

Ironically my lifetime pb in a 5k race is 19:18 as I have only ever raced the distance twice in my entire life - perhaps I could devote my twilight years to bettering that
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

LMH I take the hip comment back!  Just back from lacrosse practice with a fat lip and a bruised hip (got hit in the face and then fell over when running backwards, we were playing inside so the ground was hard).  Bruise pride as well! 

Tom I think I should stick to running (forwards)!

• Ooops emzap - hope it's nothing serious.

Blisters - it was lovely out today but I was glad of my winter boots bought very cheaply (as about two seasons out of date) and a size too big so I could also wear thermal socks. Can't recommend a pair highly enough.

Tom - what do you enjoy most? I like the distance as I'm never going to be fast over shorter distances but I can outlast some people. I guess WAVA doesn't do it for you?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Great running 7D and well earnt PBimage

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMH, my favourite distance over the years has always been 10M. Back in the day (1970s) the HM was never run...standard distances were 5M, 6M and 10M. 5k and 10k were normally only run on track. In those days a good time at 10M (ie sub 50mins!) is what defined a runner, hence its attraction, and I've never lost my fondness for the distance. Nowadays of course it's sub 70min that I'm chasingimage

I confess I have applied WAVA to my performances from 2002 and 2008, and what it demonstrates is that my performances during this period are effectively comparable with those in the 1970s when I was in my 20s.
  • Evening!

7D: well done on the 10k PB! The sub 40 will come! Remember it is only 6 or 7 weeks ago that you broke 20 for 5k, if I remember correctly! I was going to say that I have always suggested to others that they need to be running around 19:15 for 5k to break 40 for 10k: rather pleased with myself this evening when I looked up the McMillan Pace Calculator: for 39:59 it suggests 19:15 is the equivalent!

Tom:  I have two regrets re running (and I note that you will have run MUCH faster than 19 something during a 10k or 10 miler...we just didn't have 5k races!).
    1. Never broke 2 minutes for 800 (or even 880 yards!): McMilland suggests from my other times that I should have;
    2. Never ran a marathon: wasn't going to do one unless I was going to run sub 2:30.  There was a very different view of marathons in the 70s/early 80s!

Emzap:  never fancied lacrosse. Good game to watch though! (One of my neighbours is the England Team Manager and I used to work with his wife: a good source of tickets!!)

Achilles update: don't speak too soon, but am now less worried about the Achilles than the very tender ankle bones and shin. And calf. Seem to have spent too long on my feet today, but that hopefully is a good sign in that I am now able to, whereas a week ago I wouldn't even have thought about it.

Wabo:  hope yesterday's race went well. Thought Spurs deserved a point today!

Off to play with McMillan and WAVA!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Cross post with Tom:  took a long time to post as I am listening to a great tennis match at the same time!

• Alehouse: yeah, I agree, felt like some pace was lacking rather than stamina. After next week and the remaining club races, I'm done racing until March. Got some work to take care of and I'd really like to focus on training in the spare time I do have.

• 7D: yes, I think you should cut back on racing, the occasional club race and parkrun apart. Now is the time to put miles in the bank! I don't think it is the time of year to be worrying too much about times in any case (either in races or training): conditions are rarely good...too cold, wet, muddy, windy etc. The speed will largely come from the strength from lots of miles and lots of hills, and your new club will help with this.

• What: 5K MoRun

Why: Movember

Lyrics: Thought I knew them until I read the second line....

Did the 5K MoRun in Battersea Park this morning which was fab, finally got a sub 30mins 5K after all this time so I'm super thrilled, feels like I'm finally getting somewhere with my running as I've been stuck in a rut for what feel like a year! Definitely the hardest run I've done for a while, felt pretty sick as I crossed the finish line and the disgusting coconut water didn't help, had a sip and started to heave, not nice!! Next goal is a sub 60mins 10K by the end of the year hopefully!

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, as I think you probably know my original background was in MD - 800m/1500m, but even before that at the age of 16 I was running 440yds. I think it was the way in those days that you moved up through the distances gradually. In fact I ran MD almost exclusively until I was aged 24 (er that was 1972), though I did run a 10M for a tryout in 1968 (or 1969?) - Shaftesbury 10M in 57:35, which by the standards of the time was pretty unremarkable. Didn't run another one until 1975.
  • Tom: ditto, basically in that it was track and cross country, with very few road races...area and national road relays were the key races on the roads. I, too, was about 24 before I really raced anything on the roads.

Well done HH! Onwards and upwards!