Are you odd?

Comments

• Im so glad Im not the only one who's runs have to finish on a whole mile or half. I also match pegs and organise cups in the cupboard.

Maybe its the rest of the world that is odd and we are the sane ones!
  • Joolska wrote (see)

CDs are stored alphabetically.

See, now this is just practical, and would seem to be an umambiguous way of sorting things for easy access.  But I still get myself in little OCD quandries with some of the finer details, e.g.

- Within artist - chronological order of release or albums then singles?  What about EPs?
    - PJ Harvey: person or band?  Officially the name of Polly Jean Harvey's band, but seems to make sense to file under "H".  Still doesn't sit right though.
    - Compilations - stick them all at the end like at HMV, file under V for Various Artists, or alphabetical according to the name of the compilation?
    - Classical: now there's a whole new world of problems!  Obviously not for me, because my paltry collection runs to a handful of Vivaldi, Holst and Bach, but how does that work? Release date?  Orchestra?  Conductor?
    - Box-sets: If you're very lucky, the packaging means they can still be filed along with the normal CDs, but more often than not they need to be stored on a separate shelf, staring at you, all incongruous and awkward.

The only cereal I weigh is porridge, but that's only ensure I don't fcuk up the ratio of oats to milk.

• BTW, can I just apologise to about half the people who have contributed to this thread, about my inconsistent usage of hyphens and colons in my last post.  I can imagine you all sitting there, rocking gently back and forth...

• Hahahahaha. I actually DO rock quite a lot, particularly when I'm doing a jigsaw. I love jigsaws but they have to be of bridges, buildings or interesting landscapes. And always photos, never paintings or drawings.

I also do the 'even number' thing with the car stereo.

The alphabetising inconsistencies Phil mentioned are the main reason I couldn't ever try to arrange my CDs in any sort of order. Any that didn't conform would totally freak me out so I just keep them in a big disorganised jumble. But I still know where each one is and put it back in the same place.

I love reading everyone else's foibles. Makes me feel like less of a weirdo.
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Seriously, you lot are so freaking weird!

Everybody knows that volume has to be on an odd number. Am I really the only person not to choose an even number?

Socks need to be pegged out by the ankles. Clothes pegs need to be matching.

I love the smell of coffee and coffee sweets but not the taste of actual coffee.

I eat small things (such as Maltesers) in 3s, but fries in pairs. That's the only exception.

Steps. Each foot needs to touch an even number of steps. Even if that means stepping on one step with each foot.

And I do most things left-handed but write with my right hand.

• I eat smarties, M&Ms, Reece's pieces etc in colour matched pairs. When I get to the bottom of the packet I always have an awkward moment with the odd ones that are left. And when I'm eating fruit pastilles, jelly babies etc, I always have to look and see what colour each one is before I put it in my mouth. So I can't really eat them in the cinema or while driving at night. I did come up the motorway one night with a bag of wine gums and each one I ate, I had to put on the interior light to check what colour it was...

Steps. I count them when I'm walking or running up them. I do this in the stairs up to my flat even though I've lived there for 10+ years and know that the flights are 11,11,12 and 10. I often count out loud and have been caught more than once by my neighbours singing '1,3,5,7' as I run up the stairs two at a time.

I wash and dry empty food cans before I put them in the bin. A habit hangover from when I was a kid and my dad recycled everything. I don't recycle but I still wash them.

• I make sure the volume is on an odd number, but thats mainly to annoy people. 

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I tend to eat M&Ms in 'sets' of colours - one of each. If there are duplicates, I'll eat those first until I have a set image *rocks back and forth gently* 

• When I am hospitalised, I cannot BEAR having a middle bed in a bay. It's even in my notes. I like a corner bed image
  • sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

When I whisk with my right hand, the whisking is clockwise. When I whisk with my left hand, I whisk anti-clockwise. 

That is normal;typically a left hander will stir anti-clockwise.

In the same way,when I have to 'tick out' at work and I am carrying stuff in my right hand, I tick out using my left thand. My tick is always 'back to front'.

• I started a conversation last week with the words 'When I was being chased by zombies...'.  It seemed perfectly normal to me, but caused a few raised eyebrows in the office

• All people and personalities are associated with a certain colour to me. I have a green brother and a red sister. My mum is pale pink and my dad is dark blue.

My best friend is yellow and a man who-things-are-complicated-with is burgundy

•  *ponders what colour she might be*

• Elli of the North wrote (see)

All people and personalities are associated with a certain colour to me. I have a green brother and a red sister. My mum is pale pink and my dad is dark blue.

Sounds like a form of synesthesia.

Any neuroscientists in the house?  They must be loving this shit. 

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I studied neuroscience as part of my first degree image

Today Cake informed me that I always walk on his left hand side. I hadn't realised that I did. 

Pretty much everywhere I go, I assess the location to work out whether it would be a good spot to survive a zombie apocalypse. The local reservoir would be good for natural defences but not so great for shelter, although a network of tree houses would be a good solution. I consider this to be perfectly normal behaviour...

• PhilPub wrote (see)
    Elli of the North wrote (see)

All people and personalities are associated with a certain colour to me. I have a green brother and a red sister. My mum is pale pink and my dad is dark blue.

Sounds like a form of synesthesia.

Any neuroscientists in the house?  They must be loving this shit. 

Yeah have heard of that. All my weekdays, months and numbers are equal to certain colours as well. And words get a slight tint as I read them on paper/screen. 

• What makes me odd?

1. I have never taken drugs.

2. I have never been to France (but I've flown over it.)

3. I have very bad eye sight, so have to wear very strong glasses.

4. I'd rather read than watch TV.

5. I hate reality tv (see above).

6. I don't own a television.

7. I'm hardly ever cold.

8. I vote Conservative.

9. I think that alcohol prices should be increased.

10. I like madiera cake soaked in milk. image

• I think madiera cake and milk should be increased in price by 10000000% you can do the same to alcohol if you like image

• Most of my CD collection is classical not pop/rock (which probably makes me pretty weird in itself); within composer I tend to do symphonies (in order of composition), then other orchestral music (tone poems, etc.), then concerti (again, in order of composition; violin concerti go first because I'm a violinist); then chamber music (sonatas first; then string quartets, then anything else); then anything else (cantatas, etc.).

• My wife binned my CDs as we now have then on the IPod. image

Volume on the car can be any number in town, but should be 7 on the motorway. It does get louder as speed increases. It is acceptable to turn it up for a good song.

I can't hear very well when I wear my glasses.

• cat.i thought you said it was acceptable to turn it up for a good snog..................snogging whilst driving on the motorway would be odd..........image

• I guess you need a third person to tell you when to steer! image

• sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

I studied neuroscience as part of my first degree image

Today Cake informed me that I always walk on his left hand side. I hadn't realised that I did. 

Are you sure it's not cake always walking on your right hand side?image

• When OW swimming with just one other person, they have to be on my right.  If I'm with a group then at least one of them has to be on my right.

This generally works well as the person I swim with the most likes to have her companion on the left.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Oh dear!

I think I have a very unhealthy relationship with my CD collection....1500 of the little b*ggers all shelved up in alphabetical artist number, with separate shelves (shelves!) for the compilations which are in alphabetical order by title. Spaces at the end of each shelf to enable new additions to be added without having to reorganise.

In addition they are all ripped to hard disk - lossless, none of this MP3 inferior bit rate, so that they can be streamed to various rooms in the house. This was a huge task but essential (honest!)

I use itunes to catalogue and play them, but I have my own genres and use the itunes grouping feature to further categorise the albums into essential, memorable, current listening, etc

So far not obsessive....just a natural attention to detail.

I've got the cover art for every album, downloaded from the applestore, copied from amazon or as a last resort scanned from the original cover art work.

I'm currently about halfway through rating (1 to 5 stars) every song on every album (16200 in total...gulp!) and have also made a tentative attempt to download the lyrics for each song, to be displayed every time the song is played.

Fortunately I can only be obsessive about one thing at a time so the lyrics project is currently on hold as I am at present running injury free.

Oh Dear!
  • Congratulations Tom - that is indeed weird! My record collection of vinyl (dance music) is in no particular order, however sort of nearly grouped so that the good ones are nearer to my decks than others. The thing is, I can spot a record I want to play next in a mix from just the 5mm edge of the cover - is that weird?

• I was with you Tom until the star ratings for every song. I have 18000 or so similarly shelved although the compliations are not alphabetical but genre sorted.

Very fond of sherry and madeira

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I walk on my OH's left. What does that mean? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? image

I also tend to group colours in sweets such as Skittles and M&Ms. In groups of 3, obviously.