ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• The challenge of the marathon is getting to the start line.  For this competition, as fanatastic as it may be it's about catching the application window when it's not buggered!  It also closes when it suits itself despite the deadline?  Well done guys!!!

• I'm not sure Knight Rider. Endurance I have plenty of, but even 20odd mile fell races are very different to roads. With the constant change of pace and stopping to climb stiles/visit checkpoints etc. the intensity isn't the same. Fingers crossed though and we'll see what happens image
  • I entered today in the hope of achieving a London GFA (sub 3:10), so here's waiting....but doesn't seem so bad - I read the T&C afterwards which says they'll notify people by next Friday 16th Nov.

I also found in the small print they say we must own a Smartphone (iPhone or Android 2.2 and above). Surely that's not a factor in choosing people for the longlist? I answered 'Other' (Nokia Symbian phone) but could easily get hold of a handset to run the My ASCIS tool. Any info on this Knight Rider?

• I put my entry in last week. Fingers crossed!

• Yorkshire Rob, definitely a difference between fell running & marathons, but you should have good strength in your legs. Yes fingers crossed for everyone, applications closed today i think at midday?

michdrdm - I wouldn't be put off by the smartphone situation. I guess there are ways around it and like you say getting a handset to run it shpould be quick easy. I was tempted the other week to get a smartphone as Carphone warehouse have a good deal on a montlhy smartphone for £7.50 a month!

• My application is made, my fingers are crossed and my trainers primed (If the definition of primed is 'sitting ready and waiting by the front door' - whether they were placed there or walked there themselves is debatable - Reminder - MUST BUY NEW SHOES.)...I definitely won't be the only one to say that they don't just want this opportunity they NEED it.  Good Luck to all that entered and whoever makes it i'm sure the whole forum world will be behind them all the way (In a non stalkery way....unless you like that sort of thing).

• Oh dear I didn't read the bit about a smartphone either. Surely a smartphone doesn't make you run better maybe smarter though!

• less than a month before we find out who is lucky enough to get to bootcamp, fingers and toes crossed.

• Surely that wouldn't make a difference at this stage? I didn't even think about that being a problem!
  • I reckon I'll lose a few unnecesary pounds this week waiting on the inital results for the bootcamp at the end of November. Hope I get there but if not I hope I've lost a few lbs! How's that for positive thinking? Good luck all you entrants!

• Cheers Minni and Knightrider. Suspect two boot camps in a row is not possible......all the best to all who have entered. Did nearly 40 miles last week so ready and primed to give a spring marathon another go. Over 1200 miles injury free run this last year and enjoying the running at the moment, love to run on that track at Birmingham, its very fast. Ran my quickest mile ever on there!!!

• Morning All, just read all the posts. Its soooo exciting isn't it. I can't do any work. I'm sitting here starring at my phone and its not ringing!!! I put myself down for a sub 2.50 time and it would be amazing to get all that expert coaching advice to get there. Watched the vids and now just waiting. Its going to be a long week. Good luck to all

• Morning all. I've entered into this after being inspired by the stories from this year. This is new territory for me, but I reckon this is the best chance for me to prove how much I can do.

• Thanks for the encouragement knight rider. As a Vet runner I always pay more attention to my age grading and position in my age group - sometimes at parkrun I'm the only female 55-59 so I come first!  As regards bootcamp I am a Strictly fan so won't be disappointed if I don't get to see Gary and Louis. The only Louis I'm interested in seeing is Louis Smith with Flavia - he's a great mover!

• Hi Taff Boy

I can't concentrate at all as I just want the week to rush by. It would be so exciting to get a place or even a day at the bootcamp with the experts. Just hope I haven't messed it all up on the basis of not having a smartphone. Would be quite happy to get one if it meant training with Asics.

• I entered the competition this year, after a nightmare training for and running VLM this year I really want to have a good go at a good for age time.  Ran (hobbled) the VLM last year with ITBS in 4.16 and have recently completed a half in 1.31 with no training but would love to know how to train properly and try to injury proof yourself!  Looking forward to the results coming out now!

• Becky. I must have missed the bit about the smartphone. I know there was a question asking what kind of phone I had, but hopefully this wont be a bar to entry. Like a lot of people on here, if I get a place on the bootcamp, I'll be more than happy!

• BeckyS wrote (see)

Hi Taff Boy

I can't concentrate at all as I just want the week to rush by. It would be so exciting to get a place or even a day at the bootcamp with the experts. Just hope I haven't messed it all up on the basis of not having a smartphone. Would be quite happy to get one if it meant training with Asics.

I assume you need a smartphone so you can use the My Asics App to record all your training for remote review by the training team.

It just depends if one of the ways they will whittle down the number of applicants is by ignoring anyone who didn't meet all the criteria on the application form...

It's going to be a long & nervous wait! 

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

The waiting is killing me. It would be great to get to bootcamp for a shot at going to Paris. I have run London twice (both over 4 hours) but struggle with training at the longer distances. So it would be great to get some expert advice and support so that I can get my pace right to get me in under 4 hours. This would really be a once in a lifetime opportunity and one cannot help but be inspired by those that have achieved success before. Good luck to everyone who has applied.

• OMG, just found this thread! I thought I was unusually nervous and excited about waiting until I realise how many people here are feeling the same! I am willing to sacrifice an important work meeting to attend the bootcamp image, and to sacrifice a weeks long holiday away celebrating a family birthday so I can run in Paris image!

Anyone know when we'll find out, will we get a phone call? An email? Good luck everyone!

• MCS, remember KR made it to boot camp two years on the trot and was successful the second time!

I would like to echo KR, this prize is the running equivilent of the lottery, it doesn't get better...the boot camp is fun and it just gets better.  I was lucky enough to be selected last year (Lee, qualifying time) and I still smile just thinking about it.

Good luck everyone...just remember to smile as it is loads of fun

• Well if everyone else is trying to influence the judges' vote... I'll share my story too.I've had a difficult upbringing, with tragedy at every turn, and I need to win this prize to take my mind off the turmoil.

The latest in this catalogue of disasters has been the recent Ash Die-Back disease, which has struck our garden. In recent weeks most of the leaves have started falling off our only ash. And despite what they say on the news, it's spreading way beyond ash trees - because leaves are falling off almost all the trees in my street. Only a couple of pines seem to be resistant.

I so hope I win this prize. It would mean everything to me, and would bring small comfort to my distraught little girls. I promise that I'd work to improve week on week and I'd sing my heart out for my fans, and to win the public vote.

• Run Wales,

So that's what has happened to my trees, I knew something was wrong with them!

Since that is the case then there could only be one thing that could possibly take my mind off this disaster as well......
  • Here's to.one of us being selected to boot camp! Good.luck all ! nothing we can do now, just wait and keep on running !

FH
  • at least we'll know when someone hears something!! I'm soooo desperate to know! Please...if anyone gets "the call" put us out of our misery!! I'm worrying that I put my landline number when I'm out at work during the day...but I couldn't have put my moblie number anyway, cos I'm a teacher, so couldn't have my phone on....

• Evening All

Got home from work and had to read all the latest posts! Sounds like we're all suffering with the wait. Let's hope one of us on this thread gets to bootcamp so we know who to vote for at the next stage. God luck everyone and roll on Friday.

• Runningrachel - As knightrider and Choisty will testify, if anyone is picked for 'boot camp', they tell you not to disclose anything to anybody, until after they have chosen the lucky 5. So it will be even worse not knowingimage.

• Oh no!!! This is SO MUCH WORSE!!!! It's unbearable!!!!