Monday 12th November 2012

Morning!

Lyrics:

He's five foot two and he's six feet four,

He fights with missiles and with spears

These lyrics may have been more appropriate yesterday!

Yesterday's lyrics were "The Boxer", Simon and Garfunkel, for no other reason than the same singers were used by Birks the day before. But not today.

What: a walk, perhaps 660 metres again.

Why: I'm allowed!

Surprised Tom's not up yet from what he wrote on the MG thread!
Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning ale

What:

Why: Monday habit. Cold with some smiry (light) rain.

Lyrics: Not sure.

Back soon.

• Tom/Alehouse - nice looking back isn't it!

I did the 5km Cornwall Parkrun again - 24.13 on Saturday morning. Looks a very slow time, but it is not a fast course - 2 little hills and one long one. I still have the highest age-grading at 80.11%

Probably because the field is very small as they have not long introduced parkruns to NZ, and also because good runners want to run fast courses to get a good time.

I also ran 15km easy on Sunday.

What: 3 miles with Mae.

• Morning or should I say evening over there NZCimage

• Morning.

Well done on breaking the 30 minutes HH.

Tom - and if you apply WAVA now?

Alehouse - it's all been pushed and pulled about, it will take a while to settle - and hadn't you declared yesterday as a rest day?

NZC - good racing. Will you be doing the O'Hagans series this year?

What:             30 minutes easy
    Why:               tapering
    Last hard:       21/10
    Last rest:        4/11

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    well raced HH, NZC and 7D, thats a splendid improvement over 10k
    Tom - many of our 'senior' athletes use the age grading to measure results. Indeed as a club we have awards for the best, age graded, performances.
    what - 4 easy
    why - recovery
    last rest - thursday
    last hard - saturday

was wrong with yesterdays lyric, don't think I'll have more luck today either

• welcome straycelt image

excellent muddy racing at the weekend, RFJ and Dustin and swimming in arctic waters, OH!

no taekwondo, kayaking or lacrosse (ouchy ouch emzap!!) for me either. But I do love cycling and I used to be a gymnast in my youth image

7d: that's a fab 10k time. Sub 40 next time, definitely. You are making stellar progress. Be proud.

Tom: running 10 miles in under 50mins. Blimey. That's impossibly fast...  you and ale (and if I remember correctly birks too) were doing some seriously fast racing in your youth. Still mega-impressed. My regret is that I spent to many years smoking and boozing and only got into running at the age of 39 ...

HH: nice confidence booster. It's great when things finally come together.

NZC: another top class 5k! My WAVAs hover in the low seventies... guess I need to work harder image.

what: probably 5 miles tonight
    why: felt rubbish this morning
    last rest: Saturday
    lyrics: no

• macemace ✭✭✭

chick' - is your HR still "shit" or are you getting back to normal ? image

• Morning!

Wet, miserable, cold.   And that was just me getting out of the shower on a Monday morning. Not like me at all.  I guess I'm just not getting enough.  Running that is.

Woken momentarily two nights on the trot, almost unable to turn over because I couldn't lift my leg  without real strong knee pain. But during the day, I can run up and down stairs without a twinge.  Am I dreaming?!

Dustin...  Age-Grading is how all social clubs should award many of their awards. Mine doesn't.

What: Probably nothing again.

Why...  don't really know.  I'll blame the imaginary knee.

Last hard 28 Oct.

Last rest  yesterday

Lyrics...  No.

• Lyrics...in the depths of the memory banksimage
    What: Dreadmill sesh, no idea how long
    Why: Got to start again somewhen and half on Sturday.
    Last Hard 14/10
    Last Resest: Last Thursday
    Dreicher than a dreich place in Wales today, almost homesick for Jockland.Nice to see the variety of race times and opinions. Tom, I could only dream of those times even when fully fit and much younger. Still chuck in GFA's and the joy of older there's always new pb's in ypur new age group. Good to see it's an international thread.

• mace: my HR is okay, it's the pace that's still quite shit image

• Afternoon everyone,

Had an unexpected early day from work, so have got time to fit a weights session in this afternoon.

Haven't a clue with todays lyrics, and I was wrong with yesterdays as well... back to normal! image

Had to google WAVA to learn what it meant...

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon

Lyrics - again instant recognition. That's three in a row all from the 1960s!

Christine - I'm always delighted to hear about your successes.

7.7M steady for me this morning untimed though it felt quite strongly run.

On the WAVA front, my lifetime best for 10M scores 88.6%, whilst last time round my 2005 time of 59:58 scored 88.5% which is pretty consistant over a period of 30 years. To achieve that grade next year at age 65 I would need to run 65:08. On the face of it, that seems quite a big ask, but it is consistant with a 40min 10k, which doesn't seem so undoable. I'd guess that my best ever WAVA score is 89.3% which relates to my 2005 HM time of 79:05.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

alehouse hope all is going well

nzc, wow thats a cracking grading!

chick, hope you are feeling ok

tom, also amazing wava grades!

rw thats very odd about your knee!

what: nothing but tai chi

why: heavy weekend, running and partying!

last hard: running yesterday morning with a hangover

last easy: friday

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Hi all.

What: Nothing.
    Why: No time, out for Mum's birthday this evening. Rested yesterday as well. It won't be a very good week this week, culminating in moving house at the weekend, but I'll be back on it soon!
    Last hard: Wednesday.
    Last rest: Yesterday.

Lyrics no.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

What: a steady 4km round the city
    Why: a recovery day
    Last hard: that stick in my face :S

Chick wow gymnastics, I can't even touch my toes!
    HH well done, a great milestone reached image

Have a good one all

• Nice WAVAs, Tom! Mine are prety consistent in the early to mid 80s from 400 through to 10 miles in my first running life...as a vet I don't think I have been above 78. Off course my best races were cross country or relays! Well I've got to say that because they are WAVA-free!

My WAVAs don't actually reflect what I would say were my best races, though: for instance my 4:20 mile scores more than a 9:23 chase, a 8:44 3k and a 14:48 5K, all of which I felt were better than the mile...and my worst PB (in my view) is my 800 which at 2:00.2 scores 84+.

Just wish I could get out and run! In fact, have decided not to walk today as something isn't quite right and it isn't worth aggravating things.

Wabo:  how was the handicap?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • really really impressive WAVAs there!

emzap wrote (see)

Chick wow gymnastics, I can't even touch my toes!

that was 40 years ago, emzap and nothing much of the agility that was there as a kid seems to have survived past teenage years, nevermind in adulthood image. I can touch the floor but that's about it really image

• Afternoon from me too.

sorry awol again few nights work and Yestewrday afternoon Lots goingn on i appear to miss will try and catch up "famous last words"

3 miles today got to get  bak in the  habit  funny i found daily running easier  a missed day though  can become 2,,3, 4, ...10 and before you know it

What 3 miles
    Why: Target 1000. avg 5km daily run everyday to get there while not as much as i once did certainly more than last year or even the ne before
    Last Hard: Today 1st mile first half mile all uphill
    Lyrics No

• I feel the same about missed days Pammie - I worry that missing one will make it easier not to go out on the second etc etc.

Are you going to have a tilt at that 10 mile then Tom?

Glad the hip was ok to run on emzap.

Alehouse - sounds sensible.

Run Wales - I've had similar knee issues in the past, I think it's something to do with the lateral movement - does it ease if you put the affected knee on the mattress rather than it being the top knee? Assuming the pain is when you're sleeping on your side.

I took Grace (the dog) out for a progressive 30 minute run after work, nothing spectacular but enough to make me feel that I'd worked. I'm not good at this tapering lark and as it's not a target race wonder if I should be easing back at all really?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Little Miss Happy - what race are you tapering for?

Tom - we only have one 10 mile race in Auckland and that is one with a very long uphill, maybe about a mile, it does come down at the finish as well, so you have to go out hard, somehow get up the hill, then let it all go down the hill.

Half marathons are all the go here and very popular. For a while I thought the marathon numbers were going to really drop off, and now most marathons incude half marathons as well. Bit sad really as Rotorua, was always just a marathon, but now all sorts of distances are included. It's all about the dollar! But I guess if they are going to put an event on, they should be able to make some money out of it.

Now you are making me think what my bett age-grade would have been. I'll have to look into it, whether it was in the '80s or now. I ran in the '60s and '70s, but like Alehouse, I mainly ran x-country.

Alehouse - sounds like a good idea having the day off. I remember my friend who had her foot operated onl stayed off her foot for some time.

Pammie - good luck with the 1000 target!

• Hi NZC! Would be interesting to see what your WAVA scores were! Be warned, the women's marathon does not come out particularly well because it seems to be weighed against Paula's 2:15!

Pammie: have you entered MK marathon? Had an email today about it.
  • Aaaargh...why has 5k just seemed like a mara....think I know what tomorrow's 1st post is going to look like...so unfit
    LMH revised time having discussd with fellow entrants, despite my lack of fitness and because of theirs...2.10. I'm going to be so cold and so bored!!!!

• thanks for all the encouragment guys, definitely feeling more confident about things now.

What: body pump at the gym

Why: been meaning to try it for ages. It was bloody hard work but an excellent work out, fear my arms will be in a lot of pain tomorrow!

Last hard: yesterday's 5K

Last rest: Saturday

• What: zilch

Why: anchored to iv drip image

Last hard: last night when I developed acute abdominal pain and got admitted to hospital. Comfortable now and endoscopy normal.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nowt here, partly in Taper for Gosport on Sun, and partly was in Coventry all day then a Hampshire Road race league committee meeting tonight...

Now officially shattered

• OH! That sounds a bit careless/drastic/ uncomfortable/worrying (delete as appropriate). Hope you are back on your feet quickly!