What type of runner am I?

I've been running for more than 6 months now and I have realized that I have a problem with my feet - the main arch of my foot is high and the front arch has collapsed. I'm also 90% sure I'm an underpronator so I'm struggling to find the perfect shoes. I ran in adidas Incision tr (trail running shoes) and after they died (the left shoe tore in the left front upper and the soles got worn out on the outside side of the feet) I'm struggling to find shoes. I tried Mizuno Wave Nexus, but had to return them as they made my feet hurt. Then I bought Puma Complete Nightfox GTX due to the winter season coming. I chose them as they were to be "neutral", but they don't offer much arch support and also make my feet hurt (the ball under the big toe). I intend to keep them for runing on softer surfaces and in bad weather, but I seriously need some daily trainers. So far the best fit and support were the Nike Lunarfly +2, which I found in a local outlet. I won't be hasty with the purchase this time though, as I don't want another pair of uncomfortable shoes.

So in a nutshell - my left foot hurts under the big toe and my right leg, well - my calf hurts after running, the foot is o.k. for now. I'm also having some pain in my knees.

Here's a video of how I run - please comment, I need that!

Comments

• It would be good to see the video... but it doesn't appear on my screen.

• Is the video on youtube? you could just link to that.

• Alexander have you been to a running shop for a gait analysis ??

• Hi Alexander,

A running shop with higher quality video would help you.  As an amateur, from that particular video....  I'd say that you're a little bit underpronating. 

You're running on your mid/forefoot, rather than heel striking... which is probably a good thing, but it is stressful on forefoot, and on the calves... which is in line with your comments on your soreness. Your calves will need to strengthen over time (don't over do things)... but you need good forefoot cushioning

You're running with your feet not parallel to one another (not uncommon... but not the most efficient method). That's something you might want to work on...  you don't need them bang parallel, but something a little closer might be best.

I'll continue my amateur view, and suggest a show with good forefoot cushioning...  and decent flexibility, to accommodate your inflexible arches.  Maybe Asics Gel-Cumulus 14 - or some of its competitors. Brooks Ghost 5 perhaps..

I just put this out there, in the hope that others will add constructive criticism to what I've said.  It's like  personal challenge to see if I"m right!

Go to a running shop though (and let me know if they agree image)  Good luck.

• The best option is to get a gait analysis that you pay for from a sports physio / chiropractor. They will usually do video / pressure pad analysis, but also check you out fully. From that they can advise on the shoe type for you. Mine advised on a couple of models to go for.

If you don't want to pay for it (fair enough - but it costs less than a pair or ill fitting shoes), go to a good sports shop that will provide a basic gait analysis, and then will point out a selection of shoes they well.

A third option is to continue taking pot luck which it sounds like you are doing now. You recognised issues with your arch but are going for neutral shoes.

• Hi Alexander, while i am no expert, i can tell you what i see. (not very good at analysis but i will try!)
    as mentioned above you are running with your toes turned out. You are also running very much on your forefoot while apparantly trying not to touch your heels to the floor which really is difficult to do in shoes with padding under the heel!
    (I wear barefoot shoes and still touch my heel to the floor when running)
    You also look as if you are landing with all your weight on your toes and leaning forward quite a bit.
    Of course a lot of these may be just the effect of the treadmill, and we cant see how you run outside.

But, all these elements would combine to put all your weight landing on the inside of your forefoot just behind your toes, which matches where you say you hurt. If possible i would try to shift your weight back a tiny bit to get your feet under you, land more on the ball of your foot not the toes (and see if you can straighten your feet a little), and make sure your heel does at least touch to the floor.
    (please bear in mind that all this is based on what i think i am seeing!)

• I'm not sure what you mean by your main arch is high but your front arch has collapsed. Probably just my ignorance though.

Looking at the video, your toes point outwards rather than forwards when you run. This usually means when you roll forward on your foot, you're putting pressure on the inner edge of the underside of the foot. But you say you wear down your shoes on the outside edge of the sole, which is totally different from what looks like is happening in the video.

If I were you, I'd do what Also-ran suggests and pay a bit of money for decent gait analysis and a proper biomechanical assessment. You might need custom made orthotics if you're intending to increase your mileage and do a lot of road running.

Either that or you could go back to your original trail shoes and just stay off-road. Trail running is more forgiving of wonky biomechanics and unusual gaits as it's on a softer surface plus the uneven terrain means you're using different muscles with each step rather than the constant samey samey pounding you give your feet when you're running on flat tarmac.

I always get get certain aches and pains from running road marathons but can yomp round a trail marathon no bother and hardly even suffer the day after either...