Outlaw 2013

Comments

• Cheers M...eldy, glad I'm not the only one who will be looking at the swim sessions and thinking they are "man from Atlantis" territory.

Citizen146, I did the Sandman in September (and even got my mug on the box), it was brilliant, the Always Aim High events come highly recommended.

• looking for some winter/ spring sportives near south wales/ west/ gloucester way and failing at the moment...............

thinking of doing the l;ittle woody in august as a recovery race before IMW

• FWIW I loosley followed Fink last year doing relay for Outlaw. I shortened the Fink swim sessions down to fit an hour by reducing all parts of it. From April I did one OW swim a week and one or two pool sessions, gradually building distance to 3000m by end of May. I surprised myself by coming out of the water in 1:43 on race day as had been thinking more 1:50/1:55.

I am doing Outlaw Half this year and will be basing my training on Fink again.

• Well, persevering with HR training ahead of starting Fink in earnest and early signs are encouraging that I'm not loosing any pace. Before I started, I could hold 4:30min per km for 10k and 4:45 for 20k. This would be with an average BPm of about 165.

After throwing in 2 runs per week at for the past 3 weeks where I stick to zone 1 and 2 (sub 156 bpm), I'm not only matching my previous pace, but have bought my 20k pace down to under 4:40m per km. Will see how it holds up for my first half marathon next week.

Is anyone else seeing results from heart rate training?

Oh, and bitten the bullet and bought me a Rible Ultra TT bike.

All systems go for starting the 30 week count down on Dec 10th (well, almost...just need to get back in the pool now)

• everyone should see results in low level heart rate training - its meant to make more capilleries in the muscles so that in turn makes more oxygen get to the muscle and therefore more efficient, i think if you arent getting anything from heart rate training you must have your zones wrong or not training proprerly, either that or you are an extremely fit person already, even the kenyans train at low heart rates and if its good enough for them...     i have got to a stage now where i can run so far at 70% max i really dont know how far i can run, this is mainly because i only ever run for 2 or so hours at  70% and anything longer is normally a race where im at around 85% to 100%. what i do know is that when i started i was alot slower for the same heart rate, and i mean a LOT slower

• Great to hear DK. Despite starting as a sceptic, I am definately going to keep it up
  • It does sound like it needs trying properly.

I take it he best way to work out zones is to do a prioper maxHR test first (run up hills until vomitting) rather than the 220-age?

• And 4 weeks today will be the last day of unplanned anything until we cross the line at Outlaw! (if doing the 30 week plan)

• Yea you need to test properly, just coincidence mine works out right or within 1 now I had a birthday. And remember cycling and running may have differing maxes due to the different muscle groups used
  • Here's a question - I may have the opportunity to go to the Falklands for two weeks in April. I'll certainly be able to run there, but probably not swim and definitely not bike - would my training survive??? Is it Falklands or Outlaw, do you think?
  • You'll be fine, even if you just do enough to maintain your aerobic fitness it'll be ok, if running loads is going to risk injury just run hard or do a tempo run once a week, a long run and a couple of easy ones and you'll be good to get back where you left off
  • 2 weeks will be absolutely fine... and I bet they have some form of exercise bike on the islands.  I would grab the chance to see the Falklands first hand.

• Just to be a bit provocative... 30 weeks is too long!  Keep the base training going and work on your weaker areas, but focussed hard training over 16 or 20 weeks is ample IMHO.  I've tried the 30 week programmed approach and got bored with 10 weeks to go and basically stopped training.  I would be interested to hear what others who have completed 2+ IM events might have to say on this too....

• You may actually find that 2 weeks of not being able to bike & swim means you are re-motivated when you get back...and it puts some real fire-in-your-belly to nail your next few rides etc. 

Just use the time to thrash yourself on your running.  Simple!

• You would have no argument from me there PSC, but as a iron distance virgin and natural worrier, personally I don't want to be in a position where on the start line I have not done everything I can. The Fink structure gives me that (in theory).

Would be good to hear what others think though
  • I hear what you're saying Stanners. I knew that if I followed Fink and gave it my all, I was going to be at the start line prepared. However Fink is too long by about 10 weeks IF you have a good base already. OC always recommends finding a training schedule you can do 7/52.

The weeks between 20 and 27 were the hardest. I was tired physically and mentally and had had enough really. Then taper kicks in and it gets worse - you have the energy but no where to put it. Cue arguments about nothing at home.

Brit - from what I hear abou the Falklands you might do more walking. It can be a tad windy. I guess it depends who is hosting you? If it's private you might find a gym. If it is HMG then you might find the facilities are pretty good.

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Brit - from what I hear abou the Falklands you might do more walking. It can be a tad windy. If it is HMG then you might find the facilities are pretty good.

Good practice for Outlaw, then - if its like last year? Yes - HMG (T.A. annual camp), but have to see if work will give me the time off first ... image

• Brit surely the army will have training stuff there for you to use for a fixed bike? They did last time one of the Cake clan had to go there and that was in the 90's. I think I'm right in saying they have a pool out there for all you know they have a big base and all that. 2 weeks will be fine through.

I bet if you made some enquires you might find some of the marines out there or some of the local's might even have a nutter's open water club. image

• Marines? Are you kidding? They'll make mincemeat out of me!!! I'm only T.A., you know!!! image I'll ask around ...

• image Like I said nutters club. image 

• marines? oh, brit, yes, you must train with the marinesimage don't pass up that kind of opportunity

• Brit - dont bank on being able to train there. April is heading into winter in the Falklands, and it is incredibly exposed, ridiculously cold and windy like you wouldnt believe. What running you manage to do may be a flat out battle against the wind. There is a gym, but stationary bikes are the wrong geometry. The pool was undergoing refurbishment this year, but that might be open for you with any luck.
    Dont discount the length of flight and the jetlag either - ease yourself into it gently.

I think you should go if you can, as it may be a once in a lifetime experience, but personally, i would count on doing nothing in the way of specific training while you're there. Anything you get is then a bonus. Couple of big training weeks before you go, and plan for not being able to train while you're there, and its in no way a disaster - after all, people get ill, and lose a week or two, and still make it to the finish line.

• I think Flyers has hit on something there.  Make sure that you train in such a way that you need a recovery week anyway, that's week one and then you can either have double recovery week or a light week for the second week.

• I've been to The Falklands and agree with Flyers, you are entering their winter period and the weather will be verging on the appalling .... there is (surprisingly) some stunning scenery so running will be good, Mousers is also correct in as much as you train so that the first week is a recovery week

I would also say that unless times have changed, which is very possible since I did National Service then for very good reasons you will get very little down time so dont bank on getting too much training done

All things considered, its an opportunity not to miss and not one that will interrupt Outlaw training if you are smart

• Do keep in mind that when Meldy did National Service it was bows and arrows and the fleet used sails and oars.

• I can still deliver a killer blow you know !!

• Bearing in mind National Service ended in 1960.  

Only saying!  Nothing to see here, move along now!  image

• *comes out of lurking to snigger*

• Meldy admits to National Service? Crikey. I think even Plum is too young for that...