The Druid Challenge Ridgeway Ultra 2012

123457»

Comments

• Cheers pyj - that's really useful.  Think I'll take a couple of malt loafs too for breakfast (did you know you can now buy not only 'banana maltloaf' but ALSO 'cinnamon and raison maltloaf'.  Bloody brilliant stuff.

Richard and Julian - I too have been suffering with plantar fasciitis for about 6 weeks now and it's still niggling.  I'm sure it's going to hate this weekend and flare up, but who cares - come Sunday we'll all have run / walked / hobbled / crawled through it and will have earnt a good rest.  I'd much rather be a wreck on Sunday afternoon and in need of 3 weeks off than pull out of this weekend and feel sorry for myself.

Lou - I bought 2xu leggings.  I wa svery dubious when the size chart told me I'd need "small tall" ones (I've never bought a small anything before) but although they are MIGHTY snug, they are seriously comfortable and I feel naked in them!  That's the dream eh.  Looking forward to giving them a good outing on Friday.

Resting and eating for the next 48 hours.  Brilliant.

• Can I join the 'hobble' brigade, my right ankle is playing up, though something always starts to hurt just before an event and then  will miraculously disappear when I start running!

Love banana malt loafimage

Cake and chocolates bought for my binge on Sunday evening, if I can stay awake long enough!

• the banana malt loaf is nommy!!!!!!!! and they do little snack sizes that you can stuff in the pockets of a handheld or backpack-fabby. mince pies??? cool-im sorted!!!! just need mulled wine too and im set-although i think my balance would be radically affected by thatimage

• Definitely another hobbler here!  At the thought of this weekend my ankle started hurting, my knee went wonky and my back went into spasm - so nothing to worry about there thenimage.

• So we have me, Richard, James, Charlotte and now Bear. Lets hope we make the walk up to the start LOL.

Well thats it! GPS charged, lucky pants packed and Vaseline at the ready. Weather looks ok. I'm signing off a day early as I will be busy tomorrow night. Good luck to all and look forward to meeting you over the weekend.

Jules
  • Sorry to disappoint you alI, I've been packing this evening and just cant find the mankini. Maybe just as well, as it's rather cold out thereimage

/members/images/563540/Gallery/imageBank.php.jpg

• I've got tonsilitus and am now on antibiotics!! image But I am still planning on being there tomorrow!!

• sian wins.

I have bitten one of my finger nails too short though and it's sore.  that's pretty bad too

• ouch - I hate short nails - I will bring you some codeine!!

• thanks sian, I think I'll need it to get through.

I'm starting at midday so I'm going to rock up at about 10:30.  Should be plenty of time to register, get cold and allow the codeine to kick in.

• stefkirl - shame about the mankini and nice photo!

Sian - I hope you feel a  bit better tomorrow, take it easyimage

• sian !! hope you are ok, i had sore throat yesterday, worse today but i still think you win-not sure about James with his 'sore finger ' man dramaimage.....

• I will have my antibiotics and masses of pain relief and caffeine!!
  • im not ill or injured- but i still may have the pain relief and caffeine!!!imageimageimage

• Just dropping from the other side (there's no specific thread for some reason!) to say hello and see you all tomorrow! Third time doing this and really looking forwards to it! but looks like it might rain quite a lot on Saturday! which means that Goring might be very boggy! just packing now and changing my mind lots!

• WOW! What a three days. Great company, great weather and certainly a challenge. Great to meet Stefkirl, Richard and Charlotte. Charlotte I missed you at the end but wanted to say a huge thank you. Your company and ability to put up with my never ending moaning deserves a medal in itself.

For the record, I was in the minor injuries unit ths evening having another two holes drilled in my nail. It looked like it had exploded in my shoe and the fluid underneath was forcing the nail up. I will call my new nail and badge of honor Ivinghoe. Richard,thanks for the pain killers.

Thanks guys!!!

Jules
  • More than welcome Jules, great to have met you.  Hope your feet mend soon.  I think I will lose two of my nails, but nothing as bad as yours!

Cheers everyone.

• Another perversely enjoyable 3 days.  Hi to all the familiar faces and see some of you at Pilgrims'. Great to meet up with you Sian at the end of day1, hope the antibiotics have done their stuff.

Sore ankles from all that trying to hold my balance on the mud and ruts.  Toe nails fine for once.  Got home to find I had forgotten to switch fridge back on after defrosting on Thursday morning and 'im indoors only realised Friday night, so spent this morning clearing out rotting food, followed by cleaning up rotting clothing+shoesimage.

Hope the guys I travelled to Swindon with on the bus got home O.K.  The 2 cans of Strongbow I bought at the station buffet made the journey bearable for me, even though I did have another 3/4 mile walk at the end of it.

• Loved the whole weekend. Great to have met most people on here at some point or another over the weekend and I hope you enjoyed it.

Nothing hurts today that didn't hurt before the weekend apart from a couple of sore toes so alls good!

Jules, I enjoyed your company. Did you have bad feet? I wish you had mentioned themimageimage, I hope they heal soon. I don't require an extra medal for putting up with you, but perhaps some company on some of the long training runs we have coming up for our Spring racesimage i know I have some 30+ milers to do! P.m'd you.

• I too had a great weekend.  Sadly didn't meet many of you, just Loula and Ultrarocker - great to finally meet you both!  Congratulatiosn to everyone who battled through it. Certainly day 2 was pretty minging and the conditions underfoot pretty tough going.

I struggled quite a bit on Sunday while trying to get a mix of runnign fast enough to get it over and done with, whilst trying not to put myself through too much pain! 

Feel pretty grand this morning and have some blisters and black toe nails, but nothnig out of the ordinary and I don't think anything is going to fall off.  Looking forward to a couple of weeks doing as little as possible while easting as much as possible.

Hope to keep the runnign love alive and to see some of you soon!  I know Lou and UR are heading to the Thames Trot in Feb - anyone else game?

• James - I to will be doing the Thames Trot, I have just ordered the map so I can start the training runs (in a week or two)image!

• I can't believe that I am considering the Thames Trot just 1 day after the Druid, only to find out that they have sold out of places! Charity places are available but not keen on  asking people for sponsorship in these difficult times. Does anyone work for Go Beyond Ultra on this thread so that I can blag an entryimage

• The results are out! Well done everyone. Nice to meet you bear.b.hind image I have a score to settle from Friday - I've got the welsh ultra on 1st December so some lessons have been learnt!!
  • Absolutely over the moon with my results although there's a few things that don't tally.  Can't help thinking if I hadn't stopped to keep taking all those photos I might have knocked off 20 minutes of my time - but then I might not have looked up at the views!  I am up late uploading my photos on Flickr witht he intention of posting the link on the XNRG FB page so everyone can have a look.  Hope it works.  Finances have put the brakes on my ultra races, but I have booked for The Wall next June. 

Julian - all that pain and you're looking for more already?! 

• Right.  2.20 am and finally I've done it.  Photos now on Flickr.  I posted the link on Extreme Energy FB page.  Give you something to remember it by.  Enjoy!

• julian will see you at TT50- 2 weeks after winter tanners !!image

• Richard - excellent resultimage and thanks for the photos I will go and have a look.

Sian - nice to have met you on Friday, I hope you are feeling better and good luck on the 1st.

Loula - I looked at the Tanners as a training run for Thames Trot but it looked quite a complicated course to follow I don't like the idea of getting lost.

Going for a walk this morning to get the legs moving again and will attempt an easy run on Thursday.

• Some great photos on Facebook from XNRG. Julian- your going to love the ones of the loved up French coupleimage