ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Did the last minute on the clock seem to take longer than usual or is it me?

• Yes you need to be tight lipped if you do get picked - which is a tough one to handle! Can't believe this was happening this time last year, that's gone quick.

Hi Lee! Loads of great memories from this which I know is a cliche but true. Feel nervous for you all, just a shame I can't do it all again!!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

I thought I read that that there was some sort of public vote after bootcamp. Is this not the case ? And if it is how does that work ?

• Carl - Sorry, yes there's a public vote. If you get selected for boot camp you have to keep tight lipped until they announce who has been shortlisted, about 20 for the public vote. Then you're free to talk about boot camp, or if you're lucky, plead your case for votes.
  • I had a chance to go to the boot camp in Birmingham last year, its an amazing experience and lots of new info even for an experienced runner like me. Did apply this year again, we will seeimage Good luck to everyone!

• Sounds an amazing event.  I spent ages completing the application then got to the bottom and it asked me to register.  I did this and it lost all my info I had inputted.  Never sounds as good writing it the second time. image  Will be keeping my fingers crossed for this one.

• Pawel, I remember running with you at boot camp last year, how are you going?  If I remember correctly you were after a super fast time?

I agree with KR the memories are vast, including standing in the cold for photo-shoots having perfect strangers looking on as they xmas shop, wearing nothing but running kit!  This leads to loads of humour and camaraderie with the other winners!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Cannot think of much else this week. It sounds like an amazing experience and even though I have run the VLM (or should I say completed the VLM) being a novice compared to many in this discussion at this distance, just getting to boot camp would be a great learning experience and might actually help me train to achieve my goal time (sub 4hr)  rather than train to take part. image Good luck to everyone who really wants this.

• Well said Carl and good luck. Its a slow week still....

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

Not been about for a while (new job and stress and all that).

But good luck to you all. I had an amazing time last year. The best bit was meeting all the other people at bootcamp and on training.

As Lee said, standing around in the middle of London in the frezzing cold was also quite bizzare.

• You got it Choisty, it was me. We had good couple of runs together done there. Good job on your run in Paris and PR. We will see, maybe I will get my chance to brake that 2hours30minimage

• Carl D wrote (see)

I thought I read that that there was some sort of public vote after bootcamp. Is this not the case ? And if it is how does that work ?

Just remember that my votes can be bought

http://justgivingtotenjiso.com

Price Guide: I need a new pair of running shoes

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

To pass the time went for a fast (by my standards) 5m run. Have been following a training plan on My Asics and was meant to do a steady 8:35min/mile. Decided to go for it and did it at 8:14 min/mile pace. Am definitely going to do a Spring marathon. Wondering what you good people think is the best training plan to follow to do a sub 4hr marathon. I have previously followed (rather loosely I must add) a Hal Higdon one and also a Marius Bakken one. Both seemed ok but I did not get close to my target of 4 hours. Just getting my fitness levels back up at the moment before kicking into full marathon training mid December. Am working my way through a pre-conditioning phase on My Asics training plan. Obviously if successful (dreaming again) then I will be using this as the basis for my training but was wondering what those like Knight Rider, Bo Derek, Choisty have to say on the subject. image

• I can't wait for bootcamp...........should be good fun............I have an automatic place after 5 rejections in a row......makes up for being unlucky in the ballotimageimage

• Carl, I know this time last year I started uppping my training just in case, in fact I'm doing the same now as the prize hasn't finished for me, as it enable me to achieve the champs qualifying time I have a London place for 2013

Seren, I think they have canceled that system now! image

• I have have got as far as planning what running gear I'd wear if I made it to bootcamp. Is that dreafully sad? 

• Rachel - I hope you've picked warm clothes. Last year was cold and frosty, and 2years ago it was covered in snow at bootcamp.
  • Carl - you made me laugh twice.

Once because of the repeated mentions of "My Asics" image ,  and the other for "Bo Derek" 

• Choisty wrote (see)

Carl, I know this time last year I started uppping my training just in case, in fact I'm doing the same now as the prize hasn't finished for me, as it enable me to achieve the champs qualifying time I have a London place for 2013

Seren, I think they have canceled that system now! image

No choisty.I'm sure i read it in the small print somewhere in my original entry......I will be there.they have realised what they have missed by not picking me all the porevious yearsimage

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Had to look BoDerek up. Pleased I did nowimage

Carl, I might just follow what this years crew are doing. Worked for me last year.
  • Like everyone else I am waiting (im)patiently to hear back about boot camp, like everyone else I am super excited about the opportunity and somewhat surprisingly been following this forum a lot more than ever I thought I would.

I do have a question for everybody, while waiting I have realised I never received a confirmation email that my application went in, I seem to remember (fingers crossed) that a screen came up after I submitted my application saying "...application successful..." is this all everyone else received or was there a technology glitch when I applied and I was supposed to get an email and therefore I am not entered? (please noooooooo!)  

• Good luck everyone!

I got my application in about 20 minutes before it closed (lastminute Kate). I did it from my Smartphone, but it wouldn't let me upload a photo. Probably preferable anyway! No doubt I'll be disqualified, but thought it was worth a go. I've applied for the last couple of years, but not heard anythingimage

Kent, I didn't get any email confirmation either. Hopefully the reception on my phone was working from within the hospital where I was on Friday.

Fingers crossed for all!

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

Carl - you made me laugh twice.

Once because of the repeated mentions of "My Asics" image ,  and the other for "Bo Derek" 

Tenjiso, glad that I made you laugh. Might explain why up to now I tended to read these forums and not participate but in for a penny in for a pound and all that.

BoD, apols for getting your name wrong. image  Technical glitch at my end where brain and fingers were not communicating. Thanks for the advice. image

• Seren - I think you have earned your place just by the amount of posts you have done. Maybe that should be a new category?

A perfect 10 for you Craig for looking that one up - did you google image search by any chance?image

Good luck with your training Lee - have you started already for VLM2013?

Pawel - I remember you too from last year at bootcamp, superfast! - good luck again if you have reapplied - and to all those that have gone for it again. Never say never is one of my mottos! (Not to be confused with the Moto motorway service station, where Fish & chips are overpriced - never eat there again!).

CarlD - as far as trainig goes you can't beat the advice & support of the forums on this website, whether it is for this ASICS competition or not.

• Does anyone know what would happen if they called you and you weren't in? Would you just lose the opportunity? Must. Stop. Obsessing.....

• Runningrachal, I think they email for bootcamp.

FH

• Seren - is that your real name? Only asking because my granddaughter is called Seren and she loves a cartoon show with Seren the Bat. I hadn't heard of the name before she was born.

FH - very glad to hear they email for bootcamp. Friday couldn't arrive quicker, just to know.

• According to terms and conditions:

"If you are longlisted, you will be contacted by telephone shortly after the closing date."

image but what if you can't answer the phone? (get me thinking I might get a call!!)

• I found out its by email from someone who got through last year.

If they did phone, could they leave you a message ? It's email so don't worry, what will be will be.

FH