Wednesday 14th November

Better stop dreaming of the quiet life ‘cos it's the one we'll never know
And quit running for that runaway bus ‘cos those rosy days are few
And stop apologising for the things you've never done, ‘cos time is short and life is cruel
But it's up to us to change this title of the song.

OK, For a change it's not a 60's song, but it is an ear worm. I'll swim with this one and I'll get a PB. Are you going to be the gazelle or the lion today?

Comments

• Morning, lion always lion

AH: further additions for your shelves

Once a runner, John Parker
    Again to Carthage. Parker
    Running for my life Lopez Loomony
    14 mins from death, salazar
    Pre, Tom Jordan
    Running for their lives, Whitaker

And whilst its a book about Tri

A life without limits, Chrissie Wellington

LMH: Nope have never done the coast to coast which is why I'm doing it now before I leave.

What: Splash at lunch, intervals tonight
    Why: Tomorrow is Islamic new year and a holiday which has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Last hard: Monday
    Last Rest: 11/11 

• Morning,

Lyrics - yep, massive fan of the singer image

Today I'm supposed to be doing a 5 mile night trail with my girlfriend and her running club... I'll definitely be treating it as a slow, easy run, as pushed pretty hard at last nights club session. Legs feel very tight this morning.
  • Morning

Busy so far today, image

What:4.5M through smiry rain

Why: Habit, but I like it.

Lyrics: Not sure.

The Perfect Distance. Story of Coe v Ovett.

Agree with DD re Chrissie Wellington book,.

Coffee calling now.

• Ale: No probs, yeah I'm a bit of a athletics reading nut !

Michael Johnston 'Slaying the dragon' and 'Gold Rush '

Current reading The Secret Olympian !

• Morning!

LMH will have a very long Christmas list! Think I will put it into a separate thread later!

Lyrics: no...mind you was half asleep so had to google and would have kicked myself if my legs were up to it.

What: flu jab!

Why: need a bit of excitement!

The real excitement might come later if I decide to walk the 550 metres to the pub...and back, which will be a post op PB!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning.

If you could carry on organising that would be great Alehouse - I actually have, or have read, many of the books on the list, including all of the tri related ones and more. At the moment many of those on my xmas wish list are cycling related. The daft thing is I don't get much time to read - it's mainly whilst I'm on holiday - but I do like a good book.

Keep the suggestions coming guys.

What:            short, easy run
    Why:             taper
    Last hard:     21/10
    Last rest:      4/11

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    Ghost runner is a great book, just finished that as is feet in the clouds. I have to admit to finding Hamuki Murakami's book extremely dull....
    I'd add barefoot runner (abebe bikele) by Paul Rambali & perfect distance (coe & ovett) by Pat Butcher - as mentioned by birks 
    Guy at work just gave me running with the kenyans (adharanand finn) I'll let you know if thats any good.
    meanwhile, club night yesterday, 5x800m hard with 250m recovery (on grass), threw in an extra 400m (half lap) hard to finish. Not my brightest move with continuing hamstring soreness but in truth it held up ok. I did opt out of the 50m shuttles that followed.
    today - possibly 4 or 5 easy, I'll see how tired the legs are, otherwise rest
    why - yesterday
    last rest - thursday
    last hard - yesterday

lyric - yes indeedy, at least moving into my era!
    RFJ - you have mail

have a great day

• Dustin: I found Murakami's book hard work too!

Forgot to say that yesterday's lyrics were "My Generation", The Who, but you all knew that anyway!

Updated Christmas Book List:

Pfitzinger and Douglas, Advanced Marathoning
    Keith Livingstone, Healthy Intelligent Training (The proven principles of Arthur Lydiard)
    Charlie Spedding, From First to Last
    Tea with Mr. Newton: the Biography of Arthur Newton
    Hal Higdon, The Ultimate Marathon Training Guide
    Scott Jurek, Eat and Run
    Jack Daniels, Running Formula
    Steven Downes and Duncan Mackay, Running Scared: How Athletics Lost its Innocence
    Richard Moore, The Dirtiest Race in History
    Plimsoles on, Eyeballs out, The Story of Jum Peters
    Jessica Ennis, UnbelievableFeet in the Clouds, Richard Askwith
    Born to Run, Christopher McDougall
    What I talk about when I talk about running, Hamuki Murakami
    The Long Hard Road, Parts 1 and 2, Ron Hill
    Running with the Legends, Michael Sandrock
    The Ghost Runner, Bill Jones
    Plus 3 books from AW: Great British Runners
    Great Marathon Runners
    The Greatest Games Ever
    Adharanand Finn, Running with the Kenyans
    Wilson, Watts and Horwill, The Complete Middle Distance Runner
    Bill Adcocks, The Road to Athens
    The Cutting Edge Runner, Matt Fitzgerald
    Once a runner, John Parker
    Again to Carthage, John Parker
    Running for my life Lopez Loomony
    14 mins from death, Salazar
    Pre, Tom Jordan
    Running for their lives, Whitaker
    The Perfect Distance: Story of Coe v Ovett, Pat Butcher
    Barefoot Runner (Abebe Bikele), Paul Rambali
    The Secret Olympian, Anon
    Better Training For Distance Runners, Martin and Coe
    Slaying the Dragon, Michael Johnson
    Gold Rush, Michael Johnson
    A life without limits, Chrissie Wellington

Novels:
    Marathon Man, William Goldman
    Flanagan’s Run, Tom McNabb
    The Games, Hugh Atkinson

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Lyrics: Absolutely yet funnily enough only concert I ever walked out of was a duo with the singer in Southampton
    What: Strollette on treadmill and tkd
    Why: need some slow miles and I practice on Wed
    Last hard: Tho I didn't know at the time but do now: Yesterday's power plate
    Last rest: Last Thursday
    Born to run is a great adventure story and good analysis in between slagging off Bowerman and Nikeimage
    Got to dash up to Telford. AH: I feel a post op PB is good for morale
    Later all, have a great day

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

Lyrics - no, but on reflection should have done better after google reveal.

Bit like Dustin this morning with legs a bit battered after vigorous club session last night. Easy 7M beckons.

Off to see the Levellers at Cambridge tonight........."There's only one way of life, and that's your own, your own, your own"...he warbles.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

enjoy tonight Tom, first saw them at Glasters many moons ago...and caught up with them at  Brixton a year, maybe 2 years ago, supported by the wonder stuff...you have to unleash the inner grebo from time to time!!

• Lovely running book list image. There's few on there that I'd like to read.

Agree with Dustin & ale: the Murakami book is boooring as hell image

what: 10 miles
    why: because I can
    last hard: a long time ago
    last rest: Saturday
    lyrics: yeah! My kinda music. Great choice

• Good afternoon!
    What: 8.5km Home Run.
    Why: I'm lead running again this week, which is great as I'd be doing it anyway, so am putting my personal proceeds (a tenner) towards VLM fundraising. I was out for drinks with a friend last night and she pledged £60 so I'll be holding her to that! 
    Last hard: Yesterday's 3k interval treadmill didn't feel as tough, I think I'm getting faster!
    Last rest: Monday.
    Lyrics nope.
    I enjoyed Murakami as a gentle reflection on running, but I haven't read any proper running books.

• Afternoon.

How on earth do people find time to read?  Especially runners.

What:  Probably nothing

Why: Club speed session took it out of my joints a bit. They are still be a bit fragile 17 days post-marathon.

Books: No

Lyrics: No

• What: nothing
    Why: under orders!
    Last rest: yesterday (enforced)
    Last Hard: Monday (admitted to hospital)

Work all sorted and told not to come back in until Monday
    Maybe get out for run tomorrow evening

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

OH don't overdo it!  How are you feeling today?
    Ale let us know how the pb attempt goes :P  Will be good news if you manage the walk though I imagine the end being in the pub helps?!
    Blisters is an "ear worm" when you get a song stuck in your head?  Is it an English expression?  I only ask as I was asked what the English expression was and I said there wasn't one.  Both the German and Afrikaans translate to "ear worm" though.

What: 5.12km of HILLS
    Why: there are hills about so I thought I'd give it a bash.

It hurt, but I did it image

Have a good one all.

• emzap - it is indeed an 'ear worm' when you can't get a song out of your head.

OH - glad to hear that you're being sensible.

RW - usually when on holiday or injured!

The two middle miles of my 30 minute run ended up being 'Minks easy' but I was very god for the last half mile image

• ale and Dustin : I too couldn't get into the Murakami book.

• If anyone wants my Muarakami book...

• Its a slightly unusual read! Kept me out of trouble for a couple of hours though!

• It's not that bad - but neither is it one I would keep to read again.

Has anyone actually read the Jess Ennis book yet?

Did you make it to the Alehouse and back unaided?

• Not been yet: I have an appointment there shortly after the football finishes...it would be too busy earlier!

• Enjoy the pub ah... I'm watching the end of the footie with a few cheeky cans image
  • Big fan of jess for possibly the wrong reasonsimage
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Dustin - I have duely replied

What 33 mins on the treadie, nice and easy

Take care all

• Run Wales wrote (see)

Afternoon.

How on earth do people find time to read?  Especially runners.

What:  Probably nothing
    Why: Club speed session took it out of my joints a bit. They are still be a bit fragile 17 days post-marathon.
    Books: No
    Lyrics: No

I am in total agreement with you RW. Books don't turn me on. If I do pick up a book I'll get hooked in and finish it cover to cover in one session. This infuriates my wife as she won't get a peep out of me for a day or two until I reach the back page. Then I feel guilty. I've got one of the classic training books on the side at the moment, but it hasn't hooked me.

This evening was swimming. 102 lengths, so that's 2550m. The extra two were so I could claim a new PB for distance. However, despite 6 months of training I appear to have actually got slower. Significantly slower. I did the 2.5k in 1h07m last time, this time was 1h17m. Bizarre.