Advice needed on Compression Tights

Hi,

I'm new to compression tights. I've a pair of medium and a pair of large Under Armour ColdGear tights.  But my question is.... how do I know how tight to go?

I got the ColdGear stuff as I'm competing in www.toughmudder.co.uk on Saturday and I need something to keep me warm (rather than needing the compression all that much).

Now these say they keep you warm, but never hot. I've been for a short run (tapering now) in the mediums. They are very tight on my calves, but not uncomfortable. However, I was hot and sweating after just a mile. And it's about 4 deg C outside. I had a tshirt on top.  Does tghis suggest they may be too tight?

When I have them on, the feeling in my legs can only be described as instant warmth in my muscles. A little like putting deep heat on. Is that normal with compression tights?

The larger pair feel fairly tight, but I don't get the instant warmth from them and they have a bit of slack in the back of the knees.

I'm worried if I wear the tighter pair that I may end up cutting off the circulation. But then, I wore them for over half an hour and I didnt get any numbness or anything. Essentially, I just don't want to get half way around tough mudder and wish I'd gone with the slacker ones.  But then, it's going to be absolutely freezing. Maybe it's a good thing they seem to make me hot/sweaty?

I know its very hard to describe how tight they should be, but any advice would be greately appreciated. As you can tell, I'm very unsure what to do!

If it helps (don't ask why) the medium pair are the "Action" ColdGear, and the larger are the "Evo" ColdGear.

Comments

• Thanks for your reply, although not very helpful.

With Under Armour being the official Tough Mudder attire I'm not imaging I'll be the only person wearing them. And if I am, I'm not fussed. They'll stop me chafing when I'm wet, which is a other reason I wanted them.

Hopefully someone will be able to give me some constructive sizing help!
  • I often wear compression clothing.  I am currently wearing Adidas compression wear but considering getting skins.  Mine are tight skin tight but not excessively.  As you say it is very hard to describe.

From what I understand you have to be very careful because if they are over tight they can cause more damage than not wearing any at all.

I also mainly wear mine for warmth and to pull sweat from my body and they do a brilliant job.  I do tend to have a base layer and jacket on top though.

Mine are regular climacool ones which I think are normally designed for summer.  I did consider buying warmth ones but opted for an extra layers instead, mainly due to price.

My brother wears the underarmor and cannot say a bad word about them, especiall the warmth range.

I'd say just go with their size guide for chest etc and stick to that.  I have a hest of 38" and 5ft 10 tall and wear medium and feels a good fit.

• Benefits of compression hasnt been proven. 

Your skin is waterproof. 

You'll be warmer without them as soon as they get wet.

They'll also be wrecked after the crawling through the mud. 

They may sponsor the event, but that doesnt mean you need to wear them. 

Its not going to be that cold anyway this weekend ? No need for tights - just keep running.  

• Thanks for the advice!

I hear what you're saying about the temp. I normally run just in shorts even when the temp drops well below freezing. But another concern is chafing whilst wet. I've had it before and don't fancy it again. These should stop that.

Put it this way, if they were so tight they were cutting off my circulation, I'd know about it right? I'd maybe get some numbness. So if this isn't the case, maybe I can take it they'll be fine?
  • compression gear should be tight... and is more likely better during recovery rather than racing.  The benefits of either haven't entirely been proved or disproved, but I know that lots of people favour the use of compression gear to recover. 

• PSC wrote (see)

compression gear should be tight... and is more likely better during recovery rather than racing.  The benefits of either haven't entirely been proved or disproved, but I know that lots of people favour the use of compression gear to recover. 

I'm going to be wearing them during the event, as do many mudders. Still better to be extra tight?

• If chafing is your worry - just wear Lycra shorts. If the mudder is anything like the original tough guy then you'll trash any kit you're wearing.
  • Thanks for the advice!

I hear what you're saying about the temp. I normally run just in shorts even when the temp drops well below freezing. But another concern is chafing whilst wet. I've had it before and don't fancy it again. These should stop that.

Put it this way, if they were so tight they were cutting off my circulation, I'd know about it right? I'd maybe get some numbness. So if this isn't the case, maybe I can take it they'll be fine?
  • PSC wrote (see)

compression gear should be tight... and is more likely better during recovery rather than racing.  The benefits of either haven't entirely been proved or disproved, but I know that lots of people favour the use of compression gear to recover. 

I'm going to be wearing them during the event, as do many mudders. Still better to be extra tight?

• Daniel,

Have you thought about Ron Hill running tights? They will not be as tight as compression tights, but will provide protection against the elements i.e. mud and cold weather!

• If you're running a Tough Mudder or hellrunner type of event, in my opinion tights, under-armour or compression gear would only hinder you. They won't provide warmth, and although you will be running, it will be stop/start, and really anything other than a pair of shorts and throw-away trainers and top will be pointless.

• I'm not sure how they could hinder me?  They are tight and so won't get caught up on obstacles and I'm able to run in them. Surely thats all that matters?  Additionally, most people I've spoken to who have completed a TM event have said they found these the best things to wear.

I didn't consider Ron Hills as the UA looked great for temperature control. That's what UA do.

I was really hoping for some sound advice about how compression tights should fit and to those of you that have helped me with this, I thank you.  But unfortunately this has turned into a "don't wear them" from everyone else, when I did not ask for advice as to whether to wear them or not.

• Definition of forum noun (plural forums)

• 1a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:
  • Daniel - I've done the Tough Guy. Great event. Not many tights around. 

if you want to spend £40 on a pair of tights that you dont need and will be in need of repair by the end of the race - go for it. Its very hard to work out fit over the internet. 

TBH by the time you're halfway round - you'll long have forgotten about the tights. 

• Thanks for the advice!

• Thanks Cougie. Probably right, I won't be top fussed half way around!

Distance 12 miles.