ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Just read all the posts to catch up and feeling a tad deflated as no calls or e-mails for me! Very well done though to all who have had a call and good luck with the rest of it. It would be great to know after what they were looking for, for next year. Haven't given up hope yet though!!

• I think it is social/forum ettiquette to keep quiet if you have or have not had any calls/emails form RW about getting to the next stage Jenf.

From what I remember they aren't looking for you to PB in the 5k time trial, merely to show you are able to produce a consistent pace and be in control. It is also important for them to be able to see that you can run the pace that you say you can (and not lying on your application!).

• KR - Sorry they may not of expected you to Pb. But I remember finishing, and the first thing Steve said was, how many of you Pb'd. I was in Rosie's group, and I'm sure it helped her get short listed, the fact that she Pb'd, and went on to be one of the lucky 5.
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

For those unsure of the process .... this is what the terms and conditions actually said about getting selected to attend bootcamp.... longlist not shortlist ... 

From all entries received before the closing date, we will select 30 to 50 longlisted candidates. We may call you for a quick phone interview prior to selecting the longlist. If you are longlisted, you will be contacted by telephone shortly after the closing date. Longlisted candidates will be invited to attend a Boot Camp selection day in Birmingham on November 30 2012, from which a shortlist of 18-24 runners will be chosen. Details of all shortlisted candidates will then be published on runnersworld.co.uk and the RW community invited to vote for their favourite five.

• Woke up and couldn't get back to sleep - wonder why. Probably freeting about my entry as I don't own a smartphone (at least I don't think I do) and I did my last 5K pb way back in 2008. Been concentrating on longer distances. Am expecting to be on a very longlist of no hopers by Saturdayimage 

• No phone call, no email, not entered a 5K road race since 2002 so no recent PB (done 10ks and the GNR this year though).  Mmmmm image

• KR.....i didn't think it was etiquette..2 years ago they were definitely told they were not allowed to tell anyone as it was top secretimage..........maybe as the bootcamp was new then........

for those who haven't been selected.don't worry........I'm sure you will find that one of the chosen 5 will have similar aims as yourself and you can join their thread....the mentors do an excellent job of helping everyone on the thread not just the ones who won the prize..........they advise and give suggestions whenever asked.........

also there is a chance for those who have been rejected to apply for the forum 6....which is an alternative set of threads...............no big prizes or race entries or bootcamps............these match a runner with a mentor on these forums.........and they get their own thread which others join.............its a bit more fluid as they do not need to follow the RW training plans....they can follow anyplan or make one up........it is a great way to chat as well....so if you don't find an official thread that seems to suit your needs you can apply for the unofficial ones or join in with one of those winners........

• It's a strange feeling waiting, like the very first day the national lottery started. Anyone fancy a 5k practise at the weekend if they get through?
  • LOL on the 5k PB - I PBd too at bootcamp and got through to the voting stage.  My memory though is of Steve saying that they were looking for people who could follow instructions and show a definite difference in pace between the 400m effort and 100m recovery.

I remember being asked to keep bootcamp hush hush too - but I didn't get a pre-email call about being shortlisted to go. Just the email - then the day itself.

There's nothing you can do folks to influence it - I submitted ideas last year for different categories as I thought the ones they used were a bit 'old hat' so they may be choosing based on the human interest value. 

I know it's not a lot of comfort but I'd say a big well done for having the guts to enter in the first place - it can take a lot of bravery to put yourself out there - go buy yourself a treat whether you got in or not - a reward is deserved either way image

• Unless they introduce a category called "Those who didn't enter", then I'm not expecting a call. image

• Ten that made me laugh

On the 5km thingy I ran OK showed a difference in pacing but was 20s down on a PB and didn't seem to matter.

Also I don't recall any secrecy around the bootcamp but told to keep quite about getting through to voting and being selected, which seemed prudent as there are verification processes that have to be gone through.

• Choisty wrote (see)

....there are verification processes that have to be gone through.

For instance, whether the "first timer" has run a marathon before image

• C'mon RW! I'm checking my emails every 2 minutes!

I remember Jen ssaying about the marathon last year - she was pretty open that she'd done the London one walking with a family member. I think she hadn't realised that it would count against her as she'd walked it not run it. Must have been gutting. Good for BoDuke though!

• RRR - Was she the one who got thru the longlist, to be shortlisted for the final even shorter list, but got disqualified as she wasn't a first timer.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

also there is a chance for those who have been rejected to apply for the forum 6....which is an alternative set of threads...............no big prizes or race entries or bootcamps............these match a runner with a mentor on these forums.........and they get their own thread which others join.............its a bit more fluid as they do not need to follow the RW training plans....they can follow anyplan or make one up........it is a great way to chat as well....so if you don't find an official thread that seems to suit your needs you can apply for the unofficial ones or join in with one of those winners........

I just want to second Seren's comment. There is another opportunity within the forum itself. They'll be a thread posted around christmas offering people the chance to get mentored by someone on the forum. I 'followed' the thread last year and it was a fountain of knowledge and ideas and really helped my marathon prep for the VLM.

So.... it's not all over image

• Its not all over Emmy. Good to see you on here. I've entered this with an open mind. It would be great if I got selected even for bootcamp, but if not, there's always next year.. and the year after that. Having said that, it would be great to get a phone call or email with some good news. I've spent all year running by myself, except for the GSR, and the Portsmouth Ghost Race (and the Gosport Half this Sunday), so it would be great just to find out how well I'm doing and what I am capable of!

• Simon - yes that was Jen. She got through to the vote and was announced as the winner of the First Timer category ... I think RW then realised that she'd completed London. I think she went on to do an ultra instead! (WOW!)

Loved watching all the videos and keeping up with the forum threads from the Asics 26.2 last year. Hopefully will be a part of it this year ...! image (Checks inbox for thousandth time)

• For those of you who can't wait re bootcamp, RW have left last years bootcamp video on this site. From the home page, go to RW tv, on here you'll also see the winning 5 Paris mara video, but down the bottom on the right, you'll see one that says Asics 26.2 bootcamp. It was bliddy freezing!
  • I'm seriously going to up my 5K runs from this weekend. Only got 5 runs to do at parkrun to get 100 and a new black t-shirt for the 100 club. Maybe I'll get another pb to count for next year's entry to Asics Target 26.2. Mind you I have been wondering if there's an upper age limit. Does anyone know?

• This competition seems to be aimed at younger runners & certainly not for anyone at veteran age,how many over the age of 40 can run a pb for 5k?Unless they're a novice i don't think there's much chance.I've been running for over 25 years & there is no way could i run as fast for short distance as say 20 years ago, speed goes with age no matter how hard we try,. Pity really as there is a generation of very good veterans out there.

• they had an older first timer a few years ago....

• Bluebird - I'm a v50, and there was another guy last year Oscar, who must of been a v50 also, and we were in the 2nd group, which I think was based on a 10k time of 40-45mins. Group 1 was for the speed merchants with a sub 40min 10k, I think that's where KR and Choisty were. I'm not sure how they split the last 2 groups.
  • How old? Bet there is no one over 45. There was someone about 40 years old last year who got to Paris. There were some nearly 60s at boot camp but they didn't get selected for the vote. Think I was the oldest one through to the last four.........image But didnt have enough votes........or so I was led to believe......might go for the unofficial one this year. Though I have run several PBs this year!!!!

• Well in that case they need an older Pb hunter this time! All I want to do is improve my marathon time from this April. First experience and all that. Will do another one in any event but would have loved to be part of the Asics experience.

• there'll be bluebirds over....,, wrote (see)

This competition seems to be aimed at younger runners & certainly not for anyone at veteran age,how many over the age of 40 can run a pb for 5k?Unless they're a novice i don't think there's much chance.I've been running for over 25 years & there is no way could i run as fast for short distance as say 20 years ago, speed goes with age no matter how hard we try,. Pity really as there is a generation of very good veterans out there.

I know what you mean about setting PB's but as I have only been running for 10 years I'm still pleased to be getting them. I was 43 when I did Paris this year and have also gone on to beat my 5k PB this summer too - so never say never!

Maybe there should be a WAVA category so it's irrelevant that you don't beat a PB from when you were 25 but can still maintain a high WAVA score?

• All the running I did at 25 was chasing around after my 2 kids. Serious running didn't start until I was 50. A bit of a late starter. Mind you my daughter has only just managed to beat my 5K pb at parkrun so not bad for a Vet!

• BeckyS wrote (see)

All the running I did at 25 was chasing around after my 2 kids. Serious running didn't start until I was 50. A bit of a late starter. Mind you my daughter has only just managed to beat my 5K pb at parkrun so not bad for a Vet!

Becky. That is how I manage my interval training, short sprints etc  - chasing my kids around! Its only this year, aged 38 that I have started to run seriously. I've been inspired by a certain Zoe Windsor (following the Great South Run) to get into more races, hence going in for this.

• At the end of the day I recon its only the RW experts that know what they are looking for!  I think all anyone can do is be themselves, be who we are and run how we run! the reason they are experts and we are the ones entering the competition is because they know far more about running, and seeing potential in runners than we do, and if anyone thinks otherwise then they shouldn't have entered! Just seeing everyone's comments on here shows how passionate we all are about running, If we get to boot camp or not we will still all enter more races, and no doubt try again next year! It is an amazing competition and Hope like hell I get to boot camp!! Good luck to everyone xx

• Just had E mail from Runners world, no it was:- The guide to charity runnining, panic button when i saw the sender before the subject