Options

ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Options

I can’t help checking my phone/email every 5 minutes since this morning but haven’t heard anything from either RW or ASICS. Good luck to everyone who has applied!

• Options

Me too Tina Le 6 image Checking email and cell. I know with Asics Target I can make new PB.

• Options

The waiting is over for me, as it is nearly the end of Friday. May be better luck next time then!

• Options

remenber to stay around and join in one of the groups.....image

• Options

Just had a tweet saying that 1,700 applicants have been narrowed down to 50 who have been sent emails re bootcamp...

Searches inbox in vain image

• Options

Congratulations to all those who got through and for those that didn't, look out for the forum 6 or follow one (or more of the threads) I know I will

• Options
    I guess if I did not get email by now I did not get a spot? Well, good luck to lucky ones!
  • Options

Congratulations to everyone who's been selected for the bootcamp. Have a great day. Thanks Choisty for the reminder to look out for the forum 6. To console myself I have signed up for 5 BMF boot camp sessions. That'll toughen me up a bit for my next 5K pb I hope. It's been a few years so may take a bit of work. image

• Options
    Good luck to all the lucky ones, you'll have a great experience.

Becky- I'm no marathon expert, but on virtually every thread on RW, they will tell you, you have to do some speed work, whether it's 5k, intervals etc to reduce your Pb time. Speed work hurts, but as they say, no pain no gain, good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm a pretty inexperienced & very unsophisticated runner (emphasised by your comment about a 2" stride difference Choisty!) and have never timed a 5k. Appreciate there's no set rule, all this talk about 5k pb's got me thinking about if a current 5k time can map to a realistic marathon target. Hmmm, google maps here I come...5k time trial may be on the agenda for tomorrow...may just have to keep tabs on his one!
  • Options

Simon - I agree 100% and although I was disappointed to not get in the whole week has been an inspiration so have started some serious training with speedwork. Up this morning for the local parkrun to check out my 5K time.

Sills - you can get an idea of your 5K time by going to your local parkrun on a Saturday morning. Great for inexperienced runners as all levels participate from speedy club runners to beginners. Very sociable wekly event.

• Options

becky.......i never do specific speed work or intervals as I  do not think my body would cope...they are more likely to cause injuries for me than my normal running..

last year when i smashed all my PB.s i did go to the park runs 2 or 3 times a month.....racing these 5k's was my speed work........and I think it definitely helped me get faster

• Options

Becky - Glad you found a bit of inspiration from this thread, that's the great thing about them. Even thou probably most of us end up having to train on our own due to various reasons, there's always someone to talk to on here. Enjoy your parkrun, and  the pain will be over in about 25-30mins, so go for itimage.

• Options
    Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭
    Your suggestion, green and white tiger, is certainly not daft. Must do some research as it looks like most of my running going forward will need to be after dark.

Having given up on RW or Asics contacting me, so I have entered the Paris marathon myself. I intend to achieve or beat the target I declared to them on my entry form which was sub 4 hr.

Will keep you all updated on my progress. Completed a 9.5 miler tonight. Need to work on my pace as I struggle to run at what feels like a slow pace.

Best of luck to all those who got the call to attend bootcamp. See you in Paris.
  • Options

Carl D - well done! I'll certainly follow your updates with interest. I'm concentrating on improving my 10k time until next March for a race on my birthday, Then I intend to look for another marathon providing I'm injury free.

Simon - the pain was over in 28:26 but 41 secs less than 3 weeks ago so progress although a long way still to sub 25 but not impossible.

• Options

Well done Becky imageimageimage

• Options
    Becky - So you say 41secs faster than previous. Wasn't it a Pb? Still a great effort.
  • Options
    I have also signed up for the Paris marathon anyway....must be mad!
  • Options

I'm doing the Manchester marathon. I'm sure we can hit our goals here!!!

• Options

When I checked the parkrun results table I finished in 28:10 which means I was 57 secs faster than three weeks ago. Not a pb since I ran the same parkrun a year ago in 25:21. My best parkrun 5k was in 2008 at 24:20 so chasing sub 25 again. Will be looking marathon races end of next year now whilst I concentrate on 5k and 10k times. Signed up for Bushy Park 10k next March and would love to be sub 55 for that one (sub 50 might be a bit of a fantasy at this stage!) In the meantime I'm doing a few crazy trail races, Mudman on 8 December for starters. Has anyone done this race before? Must check on the trail running thread!

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    if you looking for autumn marathon I'd recommend Dublin. it's on a bank hol Monday n the locals come out in crowds to support. great atmosphere!

well done on 5k time!
  • Options

May not be a marathon but the Ashby 20 is a really good race! its great timing for marathon training its on March 17th, atmosphere is great, lots of support, hands out sponges, gels, sweets and chocolate! in the goodybag at the end you get a cheese and something cob, and a packet of crisps which totally hit the spot!  and you get a hoody!!  everyone loves a hoody!!

• Options

Talking of great races, I discovered the Ultimate Running Races ipad app today...superb Sunday afternoon reading full of 500 races to do before you die! Would highly recommend, looks like it also comes in a print version....

iOS app link

Amazon Link

• Options

Agree with you Green & White, Ashby 20 is a good race and one to prqactice marathon pace. I did this this year and ran the first 10 slowish & relaxed, then uppe dth pace to marathon pace fo rhe last 10, so it was a good training run.

Rachel, I've entered Manchester too and it looks a good flat course.

Becky -  a 57 second improvement on 3 weeks ago in encourageing at this time of year (not many races/goals etc). I would agrre that the speed work on the shorter distance/reps is a key factor for the marathon training.

• Options
    Ooh thanks for the link sills ... Am downloading it as I type ...!
  • Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    I'd better get started...if I'm to fit 500 races in!
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Only one a week for 10 years with Xmas and birthdays off Jen!!! image

• Options

Knight Rider I did Ashby this year as well!!  waiting for the site to open to register for next year!!

• Options

I am too am thinking of doing Manchester as well!