Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• You're selling it to me even more as I'm a veggie weirdo too image Do you know when entries open?

This year was my first Beachy and I absolutely LOVED it, the most enjoyable race I've ever done - even the sleet battering my face from mile 21 couldn't wipe the smile off my face!

• Barbie, I think it's usually early December.  Glad you enjoyed Beachy - it's my favourite marathon with the 3 Forts a close second (but technically that's  an ultar as it's 27 miles).  I also think Brighton was fab and I did the very first 2 years but missed this one so looking forward to 2013.

• Swervin Mervin -  do you use a foam roller - it helped me a great deal with IT band issues. great that you've had no pain image

Did a track session last night - then 4 miles this morning, rest tomorrow, 4 miles Friday easy pace and then the HM on Sunday!

Good running everyone!

• 4 miles for me tonight.  Should have been 3, but this way I only have to do 2 tomorrow.

swervin mervin - glad you are able to run again without pain.

• Good going Poohbear.

Hope the pain continues to stay away Swervin

Lots of good running and planning from everyone else.

I have had a Few days off as had a few niggles in my left leg. Starts up about a mile into my run and is in the Achilles..ankle area! It doesn't hurt but it aches and have only managed up to 6 miles. Don't want to push things to make it worse so have a few gentle runs planned and if still problematic... See someone....just when things were going so well.
  • Morning all,

5.5 miles of pootling for me earlier.  Just ticking over.

Gemgemx, hope your niggles clear up quickly.  You are sensible to take it easy and see if it works itself out.

• Three miles for me last night.  Should have been zero image

• I wimped out of a 5k run yesterday morning, mainly because I felt exhausted and really not in the mood for running. Made up for it today though with a 17k run to work. (Car in the garage for an MOT, so no other way of getting to work!) Glad I had a lift home though.

• Morning all

i joined weight watchers 3 weeks ago now as i have said for the last 3 years that i would love to be back to 11st to run Brighton instead of the 12st 8 i was the first and 2 year i did get down to 12st 4lbs this year for it but i have to say for the last 3 years have failed miserably in my attempt to lose the weight on my own

So bit the bullet and join W/W got a nasty shock when i went to my first weigh in was 13st 7lbs could have knocked me down with a feather

Well I'm coming to the end of week 3 and so far have lost 10.5 lbs it takes some getting used to and staying inside the point allowance was difficult the first week did slightly better the second week and this week

pro points wise did OK managed stay within my points allowance 3 days out of 5 and the other 2 i used them all up but did not go over so i have all my active points still in tacked ready for the weekend

running wise just a couple more 3 mile runs had a rest day yesterday and am due to do 5 today but will have to see how i feel after the visit to the dentist lost a filling eating salad would you believe

• Lost a filling due to eating salad!!! See i knew that veg stuff was dangerous stuff image..well done toby though for the weight loss youll be there in no time and you can hang your trainers up in april after doing your sub 4 hour mega marathon and end on a high.....i know you wont hang your trainers up ..

Wordslinger id love to run to work its 8 miles but alas i have to take the children to school on the way and pick them back up again when im done ..

Looks like all the excitment is building for your training plans everyone hope it all goes well..ill be thinking of you all image mind you ill be out to as i want to keep the base mileage up for next year..

• Hey Toby well done. I joined weightwatchers 5 years ago and lost 2 stone over the course of a year. My mrs. is a helper at the local group and I'd been badgered to go for several years before but never got round to it. Should really go back again to get rid of the weight gained during my treatment at the beginning of the year. It does work if you are sensible about things!

• Afternoon all,

No running for me today as it's a rest day.  Will run Sat and Sun though.

Toby, well done on your weight loss. That's really good going for 3 weeks.  Keep up the good work.

Have a lovely weekend everyone image

• Toby - every 1lb weight loss is worth 2 Sec per mile for the average runner !!  image

• Toby - well done with the weight loss, at this rate we wont be able to recognise you in Aprilimage

• Well done Toby! I'm trying to shed a few pounds but it's bloody hard- am currently trying to come up with ways to make my favourite meals, like mac and cheese, healthier image

A tempo run for me last night and then an easy 2 miler today, before I rest up for the Leeds Abbey Dash on Sunday- really really want to try and go sub-50 mins!

• Good luck for the Leeds Abbey Dash, Sarah - I'm originally from West Yorks (Saltaire ish) so know the route. Enjoy!

Did my LSR today - 18km in 1.45, so reasonably pleased with that. Going to have a couple of days off now and get back to running on Tuesday! Have a good weekend, folks.

• Good luck Sarah image

I'm running Brighton 10k tomorrow, it's my first 10k race - when I started running my first race was a half marathon and then full marathons so I've never raced 10k. I have to say I HATE trying to run 'fast' (and I am by no means 'fast'image) - I find it so much easier to run 20+ miles at 9 min mile pace, rather than try and run 6 miles at 7.30 min mile pace image

Target is sub 48 mins and if I can do that, then I'm hanging up my 10k shoes for good!

• Thanks guys! Did an easy 2 miles yesterday and am resting and eating plenty today image

• A 10 min PB today at a cross country 1/2M. 1:37:59. Updates a year old pb. Nice to see fitness coming back after a layoff in Sept and pleased with time considering mud/hills etc!!

Happy days !
  • Well done AGF, that's a stonking time for a 1/2!

5.2 miles of hills for me today.  Probably 10ish tomorrow.

Barbie, Brighton 10k is defo a pb course 'cos it's pancake flat!  It still holds my 10k pb.  Watch out for the tourists walking across your path.  Good luck image

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow.

• Well it sound like your all buzzing and getting into the winter training mode.

My knee is still full of grief and infuriating me. I do get some odd looks when I'm punching myself in the leg! image

I've been doing stretches as prescribed..no roller or anything, just some painful stretches.

TBH, nothing has changed. I've done 6 miles on Monday and Wednesday with a twinge developing towards the end of the run. Tonight I went out and ran 7 miles and the pain came on big time in the last mile. It is such an odd pain. I can't quite identify exactly where it is emanating from.....and I simply can't run through it. However as soon as I walk, it disappears...until I run again.

Aaaaargh!  I am soo frustrated, I really miss my long runs.

• Swervin could you ask your doc to book you in for a scan,i know that it may not show anything... but it may do...saying that i had pain in my knee once and they thought it was a torn miniscus although nothing showed up on the scan it was still nice to rule it out...mind you then they told me that unless it was huge they couldnt of picked it up on the scan anyway..image

Also not sure if self punching will improve it image frustration is a funny thing...

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon though...

• I agree Swervin, maybe an MRI would help get to the bottom of what's going on with your knee image got to be worth a shot!

Good news guys, I smashed my 50min target at the Abbey Dash this morning to run a 49.33- a PB by over 7 minutes! image

• Disaster for me. Four weeks after resting my shin splints after amsterdam marathon, went out for a very easy 8mile run. Breathing good, fitness good, shin splints agony!!!! Back to the treatment table for me.

Compression socks on, tablets taken, ice applied and its just racing bike for me for the rest of this calendar yr. I'm not going to go for a single run until January and try to give leg proper rest. So so frustrating however going to try and keep fitness levels up by going out on bike which doesn't seem to hurt shin splints.

Keep up all ur good running ill b checking posts!!! And I will be back!!!!!
  • Stephen hope the resting works and all is well by january

Swervin sorry to hear about the knees hope you get them sorted

• Sarah marsbar and AGF - well done on your times - fantastic.

Swervin Mervin - perhaps a scan would help as the others have said? It must be really frustrating for you.image

Stephen - good luck with the resting, hope things improve soon.

HM done today - quite a hilly course, but managed a PB of 1.48.35 so really pleased with that, about 4 mins quicker than last year's effort. No other HM's over here till after Brighton - so debating about Paris........

Lovely weather today though - enjoy it everyone it's not going to last image

• jellybaby well done to you on the P/B