Last run before gallbladder surgery

so, this afternoon I shall indulge myself with a gentle 5 mile run down my favourite paths, trying to savour every minute as on Tuesday I am due to have keyhole surgery to have my gallbladder out. I'm 53 years old, just over 10stone, 5'5', size 10/12 and run at least 4 times a week. I also swim once a week, have a eliptical cross trainer at home for the days I don't get out and also so a sort of home grown pilates/weights workout twice a week. As you can tell exercise is a big part of my life. My husband has MS and I find running a huge mental relief from day to day life. I also enjoy racing from time to time (last race the great south run). I am dreading the op, and dreading the recovery even more. I am intending to start walking (outside walks I mean) as soon as I can - hopefully within a few days and then walk/running as soon as I feel up to it. What experience have other people had of this? I'd love to hear from you or just general chit chat whilst I am recovering to keep me sane!!

Comments

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Hi Shelagh,

I don't have any experience of your type of op but just wanted to wish you all the best for the surgery and a speedy recovery.

I had some surgeries last year and like you was dreading the absence of exercise in my life, I did find though that going for long walks during my recovery was a reasonable substitute, I used to wear semi-running gear with iPod, waist belt, cap etc. to make it feel more like an exercise session than a walk in the park where jeans would have done perfectly well!

Your surgeon should be able to advise when you can start running again. I found that I suddenly had a real urge to resume running and believe that this was because my body was ready - being active generally helps recovery so i think most doctors are more than happy for their patients to get going asap. It was a bit scary but also great to be a runner again and not a patient.
  • Thanks for your positive and kind comments. The clothing idea sounds really good.

Did 5 miles today and really appreciated every footfall. Just cant wait to get back out there
  • I'm same age and similar profile to you. Although I'm a bloke.

I had keyhole surgery a few years ago, on my bladder. The surgeon told me to wait for three months before resuming exercise - they're not unzipping you from neck to navel but even with keyhole there is internal damage and it needs time to heal. So tip number one is - take it from your surgeon.

The general rule of thumb after a lengthy layoff is to start over from scratch and gradually build up. I expected it to take twice as long as the layoff to get back to where I was. That's what happened, although I got to 90 per cent in about the same time but it took a while more to squeeze out that last bit. So tip number two is - be patient when you resume.

Also, when I was out of action I got miserable, it was winter so cold and dark, and for part of the time before the op I was housebound. So I comfort ate. I put on nearly three stones in three months (my normal weight is 11 and a half to 12 stones). So tip number three is - don't do what I did and pig out while you're on the bench!

• I shall ask the surgeon and see what they say. Hopefully it won't be three months as I think I would go mad and just like you eat!! The good thing is that I am very fit at the moment so hopefully....

Oh well, no doubt I will find out tomorrow

• so.... quick op. Home on the same day. first walk on Thursday, and a walk every day since, leading to several 6k walks. Today as part of the walk I ran between lampposts 9 times and seem to be fine. Shall walk again tomorrow and then try a gentle walk/run in equal measures on Sunday. Back to work on Monday. I seem to have survived pretty well
  • StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you're making such a speedy recovery and back running already!
  • Sounds good but just be sensible ...

• Shall do. Had another long walk this morning with some lampost to lamppost runs. Tomorrow I shall run/walk the whole way and see how it feels
  • Hope all is going well shelagh, keep the posts on your progress coming, I have a vested interest.

I'm 37, 6ft in good shape 11st9llbs and running 10km in training in about 42 mins and sub 20min (just) for 5km

However I am waiting for double hernia op and removal of gallbladder in one go, told should be key hole surgery. I'm worried how long I will be laid up for and unable to run.

Don't have date for op but told that should be between end of nov and mid December. It can't come soon enough although I have decided to do a 10km race on December 2nd if not had op, hoping to beat my previous time in last 10km which was 4years ago and 41m30, I'd love to do a sub 40min but will have to be a post op target and challenge I think

Continue your fast progress but don't over do it. Keep me updated

Thanks
  • Shelagh lee - how is the recovery going?

I have date for my op, 20/12 and wondering how long I'll be out of action for, hoping 6 weeks and no more before start jogging.

Ran 10km last week in 41m 04 secs but struggled with stomach cramps in km 7 and 8 , pleased with time but a missed opportunity as should have been my first ever sub 40 min, it would have meant a lot just before the op
  • I would be interested to hear how soon you were able to run Shelagh, I am due to have the same surgery on 17th May and hope to start marathon training 3 weeks later, I run 5 x a week / 40-50 miles at the moment, very fit and when marathon training I run 6x weekly up to 70 miles.
  • Hi, I walked on day 2 , 1/4 mile slip by day 4 I was walking 1mile a day , day seven 2 miles , by day 10 I could walk 6miles at 15 min mile pace, therefore maintaining fitness, it was my double hernia recovery test stopped me running otherwise would have started jogging in week 3 or 4 and slowly built back up. My hernia still pulls 8 weeks on but can run with no problem gallbladder wise and ran 19 min 5km yesterday , be sensible but doubt be afraid to try light jog if walking feels good after 2 weeks