Anyone else gradually building up to 20miles a week?

Hooray! first steps of a more structured running schedule successfully taken this morning with a thoroughly enjoyable pre-brekkie run of 5 miles! image  Initially it's hard getting up extra early before work but well worth it! 

After reading tons of interesting threads and taking advice from other runners I have taken the plunge and am gradually building up weekly mileage in an attempt to improve my overall running, instead of doing parkrun and randomly racing 3-5K around the block once in a while!

My aim = 20 miles a week combining a mix of 2 easy long runs, 1 faster but shorter run and a parkrun.  I can manage approx 10-15 miles/week at the moment so it's a realistic target. 

I thought I'd start a thread to help keep me motivated and also disciplined in terms of the amount of miles I do... Is anyone else starting out and building up weekly miles in the morning?

Comments

• Another 5 miles achieved, wasn't sure i'd make it all the way this morning when I set out, but eased myself in and felt good to keep going.  Was noticeably less people about this morning though, weather was nice and chilly and a little bit misty too which was cool.  Enjoyed my hot porridge after.

• Hi Sue,

Well done on the run this morning. I too am trying slowly to work up to a twenty mile week, after returning from a knee injury and not running properly for over a year. I'm up to about 11 mile week at the moment, but I'm having to increase my distance very slowly. I'm also trying to get better at going out consistently, although I'm actually having a few days off at the moment because my foot is a bit sore. I'm hoping a few days off now, icing and resting will have me back quickly rather than waiting to the point where it's really bad and being off for ages.

When are you next planning to run?

Erika

• Thanks Mingo,  Glad to hear you're back on your feet after injury and taking a sensible approach.  There's nothing more frustrating than having to take time out due to making things worse from your own impatience (trust me!)

That's good going so far, I assume you're happy to not hit 20 this week if you're resting image

My next run will be parkrun this saturday.  As it's only 5K I won't yet hit my 20 target, but same as you i'm building the distance slowly.

Assuming the knee settles down, when are you next running?

• Last run for this week now done. Weekly total of 13miles in all, am pleased with that for now.
  • Well done Sue! Are you going to be building up one of your LSR's to get to the 20/week mark?

I use Monday as my first day of the week so if I do 8k tomorrow I'll just make it image

• thats great work, i was like yourself when started running again a few years ago, when first started was struggling to run more than a mile or two without a break, now with some hard work and plenty of tarmac bashed i am training for a marathon next year and managed 15 miles this moring. I found that entering local runs gave me great incentive to push myself that little bit more as had something matarial to focus on, Lincoln 10k was the first one i did.

• Well done Robert! I still use the run/walk method as it's quite hilly here and need to improve my stamina. Hopefully if I ever run in a flat race all these hills and slow times will pay offimage

• Hi Sue & everyone else

well done

20 miles a week, havent done that in a while, to many family commitments

i used to run 80 - 100 years ago,

• Hi all, it was my birthday this week, celebrated with a short city break in Barcelona ... took my trainers and did some miles there! Lovely to run along the coast in sunshine image Only clocked up 6 miles this week so will get back to normal service next week.

Andi McGill 2 did you manage the 8k to complete the week? I'll be gradually increasing distance on LSR's to reach my target.

That's great Robert! I'm entering the Chessington Valentine's 10k next Feb. I did it last year and found it tough, so am hoping to improve this time.
  • Hi Sue and 'Happy Birthday'.

Nice one taking your shoes to do some running in Barcelona, must have been lovely.

Nope, didn't go out last Sunday - long Sunday lunch stopped me and this week am sat on 18.5 miles but will probably pig out again tomorrow and hope for a 20 miler next week. Next weeks LSR should be 14k so almost half of my target for the week image

• Soggy 5 miles this morning. Was planning on doing 6 but it was absolutely tipping down when I woke up and thought 'nah' and stayed in bed. 10 mins later the rain stopped so i got up and went out. Needless to say it started raining again 5 mins in but I didn't mind. Because i wasted time debating if i should run or not i left late and had to do a shorter route.

It was ok running in the rain once I got going and I was kicking myself for not just getting up in the first place!!!

Note to self: wake up, get dressed, step outside... then decide if you want to runimage
  • Lovely frosty run this morning finished the week off with a total of 14.5 miles. Roll on next week!
  • Well done Sue image I only went out twice this week (sore top of foot) but managed 13 miles. Next week I hope to break 20 miles as my LSR is scheduled for 10 of them. 

• Great stuff Andi, I hope your foot is better so you can crack 20 miles this week.

I managed a total of 16.5 miles this week.  It's transpired that I can't fit in 4 runs a week which was my initial plan, but think that 2 LSR's and one fast run should be enough.  I can vary the length of the LSR's accordingly and will be using parkrun for the faster session!

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine todayimage

• Well done Sue image only manage 10 miles last week (just the LSR) and currently recovering from a bad bout of 'man flu'.

• Oh dear, hope you get well soon! I've come down with a bad cold too, havent been out at all... planning to rest this week and fit a few LSRs in over Christmas.