Snowdonia marathon 2013

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Hi, sd.  Things not working out so brilliantly at the moment!

It was my first time on the outward commute after dark and in rain on the very busy A-road to work.  Visibility very poor and oncoming headlamps are so bright and many forget to dip. Like off road running it's hard to know whether to keep specs on or not - can't see much either way.

I was trying to make the best of it and making good speed in a high gear on a slightly downhill straight stretch, possibly getting towards 30 mph when something unexpected happened.

• I was just popping by to see how you were all doing, and I see your news, TRex image

Sorry to hear you're still in the wars, mister image

I hope everyone else is ok image
  • T-Rex image wishing you a speedy recovery. I have just bought a bike 21 speed hybrid

Frodo hi!! How's you doing?

SD Conwy is a great course.

Just picked up number for tomorrow image
  • Good luck tomorrow, TR - it must be great to be back out there image

Afraid things aren't great for me, and still no running (or cycling now - though given TRex's news, that might not be such a bad thing!)

But I'm keeping positive image
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭

imageimage sorry to hear that TRex, hope you make a quick recovery!

• TRex- sorry to hear about your injury, mate. Hope you heal soon image

Elan Valley 10 done and dustedimage I'd forgotten how hilly it was- lol! But around 1 min and several positions better than last year, finishing in 65.45 image

Just found out about a local 15k tomorrow.....

Good luck to all in Conwy tomorrow image
  • Good luck to those doing the Conwy half tomorrow - great course - surely one of the most scenic half marathons out there!? Looks like my clubmate who organises the race has had his prayers to to the weather gods answered again!? 30 from my club (out of 80 members) taking part - unfortunately coincides with annual village bus/away trip tomorrow

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Yes, unfortunately my front light chose that moment to suddenly swivel loose so not only could I not see ahead but it got jammed into a position where it was shining directly into my eyes.  I had goodness knows how many lumens of one of Cat Eye's brightest AA battery lights hurting my eyeballs.

This was a problem, and I tried to do several things at once: swivel the light back into position, but I couldn't seem to move it, brake, and steer in a straight line, squinting over the top of my specs to see where I was going in the rain hopefully to avoid going straight into the dazzling headlamps coming the other way as well as avoid being hit by the fast moving traffic coming up behind.  

I tried to err on the side of caution by keeping well to the left, but it was a situation I couldn't manage and I found myself going into the verge, still at speed, and crashing in a heap with my bike.

A car stopped to see if I was OK and helped me to pick myself up.  I seemed to be in one piece but my left shoulder was hurting a lot.  With 3 miles of commute still to do I didn't have much option other than to get back on and continue.

Arrived at work and it was a desperate struggle changing into my work clothes.  A&E was nearby so I had an X-ray and the nurse came out smiling, "It's a break all right!"  (left collarbone).  A sling and some painkillers and back to work.  Got a lift home at the end of the shift and here I am feeling a bit sorry for myself as well as embarrassed.

• Hope recovery is swift, Mr Rex

Bill McFarlane memorial 15k for me today, raising funds for the RNLI. Only a small field and despite yesterday's Elan Valley 10m in my legs managed to win fairly comfortably. First prize was ??100!! But seeing it was for charity and the size of the field, I just kept petrol and entry money and donated ??80 back.

A good run and one that is worthy of more support, so I said that I'd do my bit to raise the profile. this was the third running and it will be back same time next year. Entry is a donation to the RNLI. Race is long however- everyone clocked it at at least 9.5m. I ran 1.00.03 ( D'oh!) image
  • Hi all

Well as always Conwy  half was brilliant, well organised, beautiful day, amazing scenery and great atmosphere. Didn't have much of a race plan. Go out quick for the first couple of miles to avoid the bottle neck and then see what happens. Plan worked 1:40:53 a PB by 24 seconds!! image splits 7:20 7:35 7:43 7:36 7:41 8:14 9:00 7:47 6:20 7:32 7:45 7:30 7:41 1:09 av pace 7:40. So not bad at all 3 weeks after Snod very little training due to dodgy achilles. As always great to see Brer image

• panadpanad ✭✭✭

Great going TR40 and JD image

• You to JD you is a machine!!

Panad thanks matey image
  • Don't know why the pound note signs in my post have turned into double question marks.... Weird.
  • Hey all, TRex....glad is was nothing worse, a friend of mine has just come out of hospital after being knocked off his bike, Several broken ribs and fractured hip. Hope you are feeling better soon.

JD..well done and for being soooo charitable.

Great to see you again TR40, and very well done on the PB. I knew you would do well as you got such a confidence booster at Snod.

I trotted in 4 mins after you and I was 2nd in category. Only get a tech t shirt though, no cash!!  Totally recommend this event, really is my favourite Half especially on a day like today. PERFECT!

• Brer- well done on the win! image
  • Cheers chaps. Ok, what's next then?image Portsmouth marathon on Dec 23rd for me..is it warmer down there in December??image

• Gloucester 50k for me in January image
  • Noooo, don't tempt meimage

• Is the 14:30 cut off at 18 miles based on an 11:00 start?
    ie 3.5 h for first 18 miles
    Quite tempted by Snowdon 2013 image

• Hello all..how are we? TR40, wasnt it great at Conwy. Gutted to discover that I crossed the line with the winner of my age group but she got 1st cos she started 4 secs further up the field. Should have put a sprint finish inimage

• Oh brer still you did great and yes loved it image

OH come join the partyimage
  • LaudyLaudy ✭✭✭

Great racing this wkd guys, well done image

Wishing you a very speedy recovery T Rex.

Bath Hilly Half for me this coming sunday....the clues in the titleimage

•  Just tried posting the Conwy half official video, but link didn't workimage

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

10:30 start usually, OH.

You're fitting a lot of races in, Laudy.  Do you do ultras by any chance?

Went to fracture clinic today and one broken end of collarbone very near to puncturing the skin.  Consultant said to go back and see him if it does.  On some serious painkillers.  Sorry about your friend, brer.

Gloucester marathon and 50K is actually on my birthday, but not a good idea on the back of what looks like is going to be no training.

Not sure about this bike thing. 

• T-Rex - hope you get all healed soon can't believe you carried on biking to work after

Brer and JD - well done on race results

I'm just about back running and exercising again after being ill can't believe how much it took out of me but it's a hopefully not to long a climb back to full fitness cos those hills sure do feel hard at the moment.

Happy running everyone