oh bugger, another fat newbie.....

Comments

• It is mate life tends to happen it's how we deal with it that counts afraid I think we had similar weekends. It will be ok fellar. Trust me I is a muppet. image

• Indeed it is.  In this case, my grandma inlaw ( 102 years young ) is approaching the end after a severe stroke. Full of get up and go, she held court for the majority of her years - and is doing so now as the family at large takes turns to visit and gain an audience.

managed a shorter run last night. 3.7miles or so in 41 mins so making progress, inch by inch. perhaps a brick tonight. we shall se who's turn it is at the hospital.

image  just received my race number and start time for aquathon : 864 and 9.42 image its all very real suddently.

I have sent them an update - i estimated a much slower swim time so now they have my current best/avg ( 9 is faster than 12 i think ).   Not sure if it will matter at this stage. I should be thinking team colours - but frankly, who puts colours on a mr blobby float ?

best regards to all

• Don't worry you won't be last !

And don't forget you are supposed to be enjoying it
  • not done much. life happend. racing tomorrow. in memorium

• sorry to hear your news sgt, my thoughts are with you

• Sorry to hear that Sarge I'm sure gran enjoy watching you from on high tomorrow.
  • Thinking of you and yours Sgt L.

• Sorry to hear your news Sarge and good luck tomorrow thinking of you

• Thats all dusted then. What fun.

swim was excellent - had to wait for traffic but passed the person in front and then the person who joined afterwards. think I went 18 lengths. Ill have to wait for split times when the results go up. if Im around 9 minutes then thats 400. if its around 10 then i was longer.  ( I believe I was faster than standard - but to be honest I did loose track with traffic and overtaking and what have you. )

Now, the run was a different kettle of fish.  came out, transition in the outdoors - donning my new nike tights and top. hrt on - i was around 175 so , i went too hard on the swim maybe and i was stressed a little maybe but still I needed that number to come down. and off we trot. ( I could lie, and call it a cantor, but i wont - because it wasnt ). first two laps had me in a stich and the hrt wouldnt drop no matter how slow I went. until I belched, the stich went and the hrt dropped. ( Indegestion ? or note to self, dont swallow air while swimming )

around the start of the third lap, I allowed another faster person to pass on the inside and whilst not paying attention managed to find the one uneven slippy section of pavement curb( wooded ) and over I went like a premier league footballing arse. I must apologize to anyone nearby as I did use a rather colourfull phrase or three having promised the wife 'ill be fine, its only 5k' and had now snapped my foot of and left it onthe ground behind me ( 'warning:man flu strikes' ).  so after rolling around, and being taken care of by st johns I realised the foot was still attached and I could get on with it. 'tis, but a scratch methinks - montypythonesq'

hobbled around the remaining laps to finish in a net time of 1hr 3mins 51.  

I have to say, excellent organisation, excellent support from marshals and I really felt the love and encouragement from everyone who passed me. event the pram pushing pedestrians and the old chap walking his dog. 

Im signing up for the next one in March, and I see a half marathon in stafford arond the same time. 

now, I need to RICE my ankle and endure the OH love and attention. image . A week of training 

• A week of training to be missed till the ankle stops complaining about the lard its attached too...
  • well done sgt, hope your ankle is ok

• 8.09 swim thats 56 seconds faster than the club time trial ( and i had to wait for traffic! ).

55.42 for the run( with about 10-15 mins recovery from sprained ankle image. )
  • OK, i was 107 out of 107. But from their I can only improve. Swim was good, but I definately burned some matches as the hrt demonstrated. Will need to work on that from both ends - more practice/more control/more deep breathing in the transition. that high hrt hurt my running.

thankyou everyone for your thoughts and wishes. bug has taken me out back and given me a damned good slapping around Dave image

I want more. im looking for a duathlon in january maybe......Ideally, one that doesnt end with a strapped ankle.  

• being last doesn't matter, it is better than not bothering in the first place, and at this time of year a lot of people don't participate in events that do in the summer

• 107......... So there were 30 million in the country behind you !

Good result
  • Go Sarge

No coulda,shoulda,woulda for you well done you should be well chuffed

• Chuffed . Very smuug and with a war wound to boot. image

I swam 400 in 8-09 and shoulda/coulda been faster but for taking car not to swim over/into others or flip turn.....

Very chuffed indeed, thank you everyone.

• Top work Sarge, most chuffed for you! Onwards and upwards buddy!

• Well done Sarge , saobotaged by an ASBO kurb and a counting issue and still finished. image Onwards and upwards.

• image Nice one sarge it can only get better from here as well.

• Well done Sarge! first step on the Outlaw ladder complete. image

• Dammit Sarge, that swim time is faster than mine. I'm so glad that you didn't see me stick my foot out to trip you up.

107 finished that race, and you were one of them. 64 million did not even bother to enter. There's a load of couch potatoes within that number. As they say, you've got to be in it....

• Indeed. I got a finishers medal at th e weekend. What did you do?

Ankle has calmed down a bit, swelling is reducing nicely and the bruise is presenting a lovelly vermillion stripe around the end of my leg. Lateral movement is still ather painfull, as is walking up/down stairs or on uneven pavement. Can flex/extend the foot in a straight line so maybe another days rest/grumpiness and then a turbo session to get the ball rolling so to speak

Might skip running until next week when the beuising should have subsided and pain has deminshed

Meanwhile my xmas 910 arrived and im staring at the box ...... I mean, christmas is not mandatory. I think i promised myself something for finishing..... and the OH would rather buy me socks and other uber useful stuff ... Id be doing her a favour really......
  • At the weekend ? 15 miles of hill walking in the Lakes and a 10 mile run

Didn't get any medals tho, although I did scoff a full cooked Englsh without a flicker of guilt

Take it steady with the ankle, they can take ages if you rush
  • Just had an acid test : 300m sprint between aurport terminals to get onto the right flight to dublin. As of landing, ankle isnt complaining too much image
  • SgtLard wrote (see)
    Meanwhile my xmas 910 arrived and im staring at the box ...... I mean, christmas is not mandatory. I think i promised myself something for finishing..... and the OH would rather buy me socks and other uber useful stuff ... Id be doing her a favour really......

mine too image. it keeps calling to me to take it out of it's box for a test drive/run/bike/swim. but to be honest i think the OH might have my knackers on a plate if i tampered with it before Christmas image

• SgtLard wrote (see)
    Indeed. I got a finishers medal at the weekend. What did you do?

Now THAT's the kind of motivational fighting talk I like to hear. Whatever I did do, it doesn't warrant a reply to a rhetorical question.

• Welll..

Jammy Dodger 2 wrote (see)
    SgtLard wrote (see)

mine too image. it keeps calling to me to take it out of it's box for a test drive/run/bike/swim. but to be honest i think the OH might have my knackers on a plate if i tampered with it before Christmas image

seems mine doesnt have any sticky tape 'stopping' me from messing with it. so its really about delayed gratification i suppose......

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    At the weekend ? 15 miles of hill walking in the Lakes and a 10 mile run

Didn't get any medals tho, although I did scoff a full cooked Englsh without a flicker of guilt

Take it steady with the ankle, they can take ages if you rush

I was cooking a full breakfast at tea time - minus black pudding  9as the veggie/vegan OH+dependant no1  wont have that'muck' in the house