Sunday 18th November 2012

Morning.

Lyrics - Ten years living in a paper bag

Race well sweep and RFJ.

Official time a few seconds quicker at 1.42.20, nice even 5k splits and 2nd old woman.

What:                 easy swim
Why:                  I need to swim once a week at least
Last hard:          not sure I can count yesterday really
Last rest:           16/11

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning!

Well done yesterday LMH and Straycelt the pacer.

Go well RFJ and Sweep ...and Chick is racing too if I am right and the cold is not too bad. Think 7D has his 15k in Holland: the zevenheuvelenloop I think it is called.

Rest day here: lots of elevation but some stretches as well.

Lyrics: no

NZC: yes, lots of vitamin c

LMH: stitches were out on the 2nd, then steristrips plus am having it dressed at the surgery or my GP neighbour 3 or 4 times a week. The wound is healing but it is slow: it keeps opening up slightly when the ankle flexes.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

LMH: Nice 1/2M, I'm guessing your pleased with that.

Good luck to our racers today

What: 2 K swim set done, a hour easy trotting tonight.
    Why: Keeping up appearances
    Last Hard: Friday
    Last Rest: Thursday

• Morning all:
    Lyrics: Haven't a clue
    What: No idea aprt from teach TKD tonight
    Why: Mojo MIA
    Last Hard: Last week
    Last Easy: Week before
    GO well all racers.
    LMH: Where did you find the results please?                 
    AH: It'll come in time
    Off to clean our car park and then some breakfast. See what the day brings and it is a blue, crisp, clear day...hang on, good day for a runimage

• What: maybe get a short run in later if hospital remains quiet
    Why: probably feel better after run
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: no

RFJ Sweep (?Chickadee) Run well
    LMH I'm missing my weekly swim imageimage

• Did the cross country, 5 miles of mostly flat mud, apart from a really steep hill that we ended up going up 3 times, enjoyed it all apart from the last effort up the hill image

Should find out the results later.
  • OH - are you banned or is it because of being on call?

Straycelt - www.stuweb.co.uk

DD - pleased enough though need to find some speed to go with the endurance.

Alehouse - doesn't sound like much else you can do.

sweep - not too bad a hangover then?

You are right about chickadeee Alehouse, hope she was well enough to run.

I obviously can't push hard enough to hurt myself at the minute as legs a re fine today, could happily have run again if sensible head hadn't have been in place.

• 650 metres walked in just over 10 minutes...too nice a day not to get a little fresh air!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good Sunday to you all.
    What: 5k round the park.
    Why: First run in my new neighbourhood! Beautiful day for it too.
    Last hard: Quite a hilly park.
    Last rest: Yesterday.
    Lyrics no.

• Good going alehouse! Yep much too nice for staying indoors.

• LMH on call and just being sensible (this week)

AH slowly getting there ... image
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Ok - Gosport 1/2 Marathon

The culmination of 16 weeks training aiming for a sub 85 min time, all to plan with with arrival and warm up, and the conditions were perfect, clear skies with a crispness in the air, no gloves or extra clothing required.

The aim was to stick around 6:25mm and not get carried away... overall this was achieved and knew by 10m that all I had to do was stay calm and relaxed. I would do my normal type report, but wa sso foucused that really cannot remember too much other than running my own race and on the switch backs supporting club mates and others that I knew.

I went through 10k in under 40 mins, about 39:15 give or take, half way in 41:55 (again give or take) through 10m at 1:03:59 and then the finish in 119th place in 1:23:56, smashing my PB by 2 mins and 3 Secs from Solent 5 weeks ago (which was undulating - where as todays race was flater than a flat thing) so was only 5 secs or so slower than the first half.......

Really chuffed and even more so with my splits which averaged 6:25mm overall.

1m - 6:24
    2m - 6:17
    3m - 6:22
    4m - 6:20
    5m - 6:26
    6m - 6:26
    7m - 6:27
    8m - 6:21
    9m - 6:23
    10m - 6:29
    11m - 6:26
    12m - 6:29
    13m - 6:23
    .1m - 0.37

Great goody bag too, plus most of our club runners also got PB's so well done all round.

Great Day and 1 main target for the year achieved........... a sub 85... did it in style with a sub 84....

• LMH wasn't too bad actually, 3 weetabix and I was all good image
  • Thanks LMH...I could get a job as a pacer!
    Great guns RFJ
    New pb AHimage
    Been to gym, handbike, bike and stepper...no run. TKD to come

• Nice one, RFJ! More to come I suspect! WHat are your next racing plans? Am I right that your 10k is due a revision too?

• Evening

Rest Day as usual on a Sunday.

Catch up soon.

• Wow, what a great weekend for racing. Well dones (in no particular order) to LMH, straycelt, sweep and RFJ imageimage. Hope you guys are all pleased with your results.

They look much better than mine ... epic fail today image. I ran a PW by 6 minutes image. Well, I felt rotten but not rotten enough to can it. But my HR told me in no uncertain terms that today was not going to happen. Time was 50:54 image and I had a hard time trying to keep that HR in check. Blimey. Last month I ran a flippin marathon a lot quicker than that and it felt easy. Amazing what an off day can do to your perfomance. Oh well, not too despondent about the whole thing. It wasn't an A race and I have 4 more of these, one each month. So I hope to redeem myself in December image.

The good news is: I feel really good now. Almost as if I managed to sweat the whole thing away ... my throat is fine, my nose no longer blocked and the achey bones thingie has gone too. Strange or what?

• chickadeee - glad you have at least one positive from your run!

Alehouse - you've set a benchmark now image

Well done RFJ - what do you attribute your progress to?

GGG - are you all settled in now?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

LMH - sucess is down to not running a marathon this year and backing off from it, thats been hard... but also introducing threshold training rather than out and out speed work has helped.

Well done to you (LMH) Straycelt, and Sweep

Chickadee - sorry to hear it did not work out

Ale - 10k is 37:32 so would be a tough one to crack, did go through today in 2nd fastest time for 10m though.........

VLM will be the next big challange with various 10km and 10m races along the way.... plus a 20m or 2 but likely to use the later as trg runs rather than races.

• chickadee - just put it down to an effort run - good on you for still getting out there. Are the other races on the same course? If they are, it will be nice seeing your times come down.

RFJ - huge congrats to you!

What: 3000m Masters track Race

Why: There are only a few on the calendar, and although I'd not trained for it, decided to have a go anyway. It was extremely windy. I tried to hold myself back on the first couple of laps, then passed my rival thinking that I would be sorry for doing that, but she didn't come past me again.

Not sure of my time as results aren't out yet. I know it is slow, but glad to get out there. The last time I went to this particular track, I watched Carl Lewis run in an international meet. That was a long time ago. Our usual track is being resurfaced. It felt very strange.

• RFJ: didn't realise the 10k time was that quick! Thought it was 38plus. Anyway you are going well: progressive consistent consistency.

NZC: 3k on the track will have been a bit of a shock to the system after your recent marathon!
  • Blimey NZC - a woman of may talents!

Thanks for sharing that RFJ. I know that you can't do everything - marathon, half marathon, triathlon - if you want to do it well, that you can't always be at your racing weight or on PB form but it's hard to actually accept that and to give up the things you enjoy doing in order to focus on one result but it certainly paid off for you.

• Well Done RFJ imageimageimage

Well done NZC too.image
    Was tempted to try a short distance track race just for the Hell of it at Durness Highland Games (but ducked out as it was attrocious weather) and just went for the "hill" 4m race insteadimage

Did manage to get 3 miles in today while work was quietimage

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

evening all, 
    well done at the xc sweep, and NZC on the track, good work beating your rival!
    Positive outlook too Chicka, well done for getting it done.
    RFJ - sounds like an ideal day for running today, huge congrats on the PB and well deserved after months of solid training,
    what - 7 miles with niggle free hamstring in a zippy 49:50 after a day in the New Forest (eldest at county hockey trials) 
    why - need to get back in the groove
    last hard - today, probably
    last rest - friday

enjoy whats left of the weekend 

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

LMH - It was a move I made after damaging my Hamstring Tendon after training to much for Abingdon and Poppy Day Maras last year and doing both whilst injured... got away with Abingdon, but Poppy day was a killer.

Hence I took a year out from maras, I plan to do VLM but if that goes wrong I may try one more then give up the maras if the body cannot cope....

At 44 and 14 years of running I am still capable of hitting genuine PB's and if that means dropping maras to be able to do that then so be it.... next year will be a defining year in that respect.

Thanks for all the lovely comments