Gosport Half-Marathon

Comments

• I also got a pb today. image 1.46 for me. Didn't find the course the most scenic one

But got spoilt with the other 3 HM I did so far (New forest , London and Salisbury.) It wad very well organised and the Marshalls and support was fantasic. The band was brilliant too and always made me smile
  • This is my sixth or seventh but do i really look that old in the photos??  More to the point which b*gger said I'm 56???  I am a vet next year granted but 56 you cheeky sh*t!  

Hmmmm may have touched a nerve there me thinks.....so to steal a line from City Slickers "I hate you more.  If hate were people, I'd be China" image

• Could agree more Jindalee.. This make the GSR look like a p*** up in a brewey - but then that is a much larger race. I definetely think the club runs are much better organised. Loads of praise for the marshalls with their friendly directions, and of course the weather....Need I say more!

• Hi all

i ran it years ago, pushing my boy in his  wheelchair in 1:52, it was a superb event, only reason we've not been back is that for us its an overnight stay

• fantastic event , got a pb 96mins . 

The cake at the end was just something else, worth running just for that

• Read my epic race report from my first half marathon! For those that can't be bothered, I smashed it! I finished the race in 01:53:07. I ran a little further than a half marathon as I ran wide around the corners on purpose to ensure I covered at least a half marathon distance. My half marathon time, according to Strava and my Garmin, is 01:52:53. Way faster than I expected.

The weather was amazing. The marshals were brilliant. The goody bag was tasty image

http://ninjakhan.co.uk/2012/11/18/gosport-half-marathon/

• David haha that made me chuckle.

At Croydon 10K I ran too tight to the corners. This meant my distance was just shy of 10k and strava did not recognise my PB. I just wanted to avoid that.
  • Thanks everyone, my first HM and it was great, 1.50 can't argue with that, everyone was friendly encouraging and great atmosphere, got the bug now, I' ll do this one again next year
  • Does anyone know please where I can see any photos, do they put them online
  • Great race yesterday and the weather faeries fulfilled our order for cool, calm and sunny!

Marshals and organisation of the race was excellent image

I'm doing the Chichester 10k as well next year which looks to be good too as flat, cheapish and well organised.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

I've had to pull out...had a couple of niggles, and slightly tweaked my back into the mixer too...throw in a 90mile drive and all in all would have been foolish.

Wise words. I probably should have followed similar logic. Except being local I thought "well I'm here now and already paid and don't have another race until January, I might as well risk it". image

The fruit cake in the goody bag was rather nice - my knee is not thanking me for it today though...

Well done everyone.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well done all! would have loved to join you all! Maybe next year

Khanivore wrote (see)
    David haha that made me chuckle.

At Croydon 10K I ran too tight to the corners. This meant my distance was just shy of 10k and strava did not recognise my PB. I just wanted to avoid that.

what is Strava?!

You know when they measure courses they measure the distance on the minimum racing loine don't you?

Running extra on purpose will guarantee one thing. You come out slower image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ballesteros wrote (see)
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

I've had to pull out...had a couple of niggles, and slightly tweaked my back into the mixer too...throw in a 90mile drive and all in all would have been foolish.

Wise words. I probably should have followed similar logic. Except being local I thought "well I'm here now and already paid and don't have another race until January, I might as well risk it". image

The fruit cake in the goody bag was rather nice - my knee is not thanking me for it today though...

Well done everyone.

Glad you made it through pal. I simply wouldn't have yesterday. Some things you can run through, but a tweaked back isn't one unfortunately!

Had my south coast fun for this year, Victory 5 and Great South Run are epic races. Will ideally be back for Eastleigh or Chicester next year all being well. I do envy the fast flat races you have your way!

• I am going to run the racing line on my next run. I didn't realise that is how they measure the distance /sigh.

Unfortunately my picture was not taken. Probably because I was wearing a lunious yellow top that would have damaged the camera sensor and/or the photographers eyes image I was pretty hard to miss!

• I see there are some good comments on the runners world add your rating, however some woman has put that because of the water station being in cups it put ten minutes on her time!

I will be back next year image

• Hahahhahahaha that's too funny.

• ...well if people insist on stopping for a chat whilst supping their water, I suppose it would add a few mins (/sarc)

• I saw a couple of comments saying it is for elite runners only, I totally disagree.

I think for a new runner or someone doing their first half it is friendly and welcoming, Someone wrote about the speed of everyone running was so fast! They obviously did not see me then!, I am never going to be fast but I certainly have never felt that I should not be there.

• I agree with Zoe - it was my first event at this distance, and only my 3rd event overall (10k, 10m, then this - all since March this year) so being very new at this I feel qualified to speak. image

There were faster runners, but they didnt really affect what I was doing. Quite impressive to see them, though - for the brief time they were in view. The marshalls were excellent, really encouraging for plodders like me, and a real credit to the organisers.

While Zoe claims not to be fast, she aint no slouch. Not that I am holding any grudges at not being able to keep up image

• Zoe, Dave. I couldn't agree more. I was gutted I didn't get a chance to meet you properly before the start of the race. We must all meet up next time we're all running together. Saying that, i did see an old friend of mine, who I didn't know had entered. Like Dave, this was the first time at this distance and I did struggle at the end. One thing for me is that I never really know what pace I'm doing until I see the end result, and I haven't tried any of those gels that a lot of folk seem to use. Zoe. You inspired me into doing this, and I'm just mulling over what to enter next!

• I agree with you all too and am disappointed I did not meet up with you all. I arrived very late so even if i had planned to i would not have done so. 

It was a perfect beginners race. I should know, I am one. It was my 3rd event with the first two being 10k's. The marshalls were excellent and friendly. The field was varied - far from being an elite race! Being a flat race made it even more perfect for beginners. I loved the fact that people were running in opposite directions as I got to see people much faster than me and people much slower than me. Both groups were inspiring. 

I would definitely do it again but it's about 80 miles from my house. Unless my wife agrees to bring the kids so we can make a day of it I am not sure I will. It was probably the best of the 3 races I have done and the other two were good!

The goody bag was AWESOME. There was plenty of water and even kids handing out sweets. The bag drop was super efficient too - i was really impressed with that. 

• The race is part of a club championship, I think, so it does attract a good number of runners who don't hang about!!! I've never heard so many talking about 1:20 and 1:25 finishing times before a race image

It is, like has been said, a friendly, well organised, well marshalled race. The fact it is about as flat as you can get, it is good for chasing PB's and equally good for 1st timers/newbies to have a go at the distance.

Also got a nice medal at the end, plus chip timing and a goody bag which was actually full of goodies rather than leaflets (still working my way through all the food!)

• Its funny because I remember saying at the start that I had expected more front runners than there were so clearly I have been doing some fast races recently! It did take me 23 secs to cross the line, but I never felt anyone was in my way, more that lots were passing me (they cant have been really but it does feel like 1000s when in reality its more like 50 and I got a lot of them back later one).

We ran 1:33 so neither super fast nor slow. I'd agree that its suitable for all levels and the switch backs mean there is plenty to keep you motivated as you are going along!

• 1:33.. not super fast? The most depressing statement I have read in a while. I'm off to burn my running shoes image

• Khanivre I could not agree more, in my dreams I would get a time like that

• Well I wasnt anywhere near the front - its all relative innit image My first half was around 2:10, but its a long way off what the best can do!