The A20 Path 'n Downs Marathon and Half Marathon

2»

Comments

• I ran this last year and really enjoyed it. Bit hard to compare to a hilly trail mara but if you have run Beachy, Clarendon or Greensands mara you will find this easier.

Nice route and a good test, you can't help going off faster because you're on tarmac.

Wish I could join you but i've a small matter of the Winter 100 next week.

Good luck all...

• Thanks Sharon. I hear the weather wont be to bad, it's just the nerves at the moment.

• every time i check the weather its changed - first its misty , then its raining , now its meant to be sunny , i know it is what it is for all of us but its just that bit more pleasant when its dry - everything else is ready - have a great run everyone who has entered -those who havn't can still enter on the day .

• I have also been looking at this and had been for past 6 month. I decided against doing it only about a month ago and have entered Gosport Half instead and am regretting that decision - as I knew I would !! I changed to Gosport as I have done 14 marathons this year with 2 more definates to go - ending at Portsmouth - and just wanted a break.....bad idea ! Have also done Salisbury 54321, Clarendon, Steyning Stinger, 3 Forts, Southdowns and recently, Beachy Head so do love a good old hill climb cross country run.  I knew this would happen that I would just have to have another look at it....so blooming tempting and I just know I won't say a big old fat resounding NO until Saturday. It's a womans perogative to change her mind isn't it ?????  image

• did the half last year and back for the full marathon, will be my 5th this year. was hoping it was the 6th but new york cancelled on me, lovely course, will bring my sunsceen this year. got burnt last year. Lovely friendly race. going to try and go for a PB tomorrow and finish in 5.30 hours. facilities excellent. if your still deciding, go for it you will love it.

• Janet - I have decided to do it.....was always going to happen really if I'm honest.image Made my decision yesterday and have transferred my Gosport Half number to a very deserving pal. Am just off to bed now as early start from where I live. Am glad I made the decision as have heard good things about it. Good luck tomorrow for your PB. I will have a blue or black beanie on which will have a poppy stuck in it.   image

• Weather looks great for tomorrow - sunny with temps between 3 and 7 and 0% chance of rain!  Cant' wait!!  image

http://uk.weather.com/weather/tomorrow-Maidstone-UKXX0091

• Had a great morning running the half marathon, thanks to all involved image

• Fabulous event......brilliant to have coca cola on offer at some water stations !! Pleased with my time of 4.12 but waiting on the official results............wonderful day out and so glad I decided to do it.  image

• Completed my first marathon and loved it. I paired up with Malcombe who was 71 who kept me going. Couldn't fault the event which was very well organised. Can't wait until my next one.

• I went for a 8 mile run Thursday lunchtime which is the furthest I have been in 2 years as I have been doing 5km and 10km's in Tris's. I went out on Thurs, Fri and Sat night and trained for 2 1/2 hours on Saturday (cycling and swimming). I was supposed to be racing in the KFL Cross Country in Deal but the 1 hour drive did not appeal, so instead I decided to do this A20 Path and Downs Half Marathon to see if I could get around this tough course. 
    I ran at conversational pace and walked the 800m hill at a 12% gradient. I had my watch covered all the way so I just ran easy and not to a time. Somehow I managed a 1:55 which is a PB by 3 mins! This means I should be able to get around a flatter course in around 1:45 very soon (the hill cost me 3 mins) if I push on. Can't believe I got a PB - the training is clearly going well!   It was a lovely and very scenic route and well organised. Really looking forward to next years race now!!    
  • Well the course was a lot tougher than I expected and I had to walk quite a few times (which was upsetting as I ran non-stop in my first marathon) but I completed the course in 4h12m - 8 mins faster than my previous personal best - which I'm very happy with!! image

One complaint - and it's nothing to do with the organisers but about the world in general - is that running alongside such a busy road meant a nasty taste of pollution throughout the A20 sections and especially in the second half of the route (probably due to heavier traffic as the day went on).  I know it can't be helped due to the route but it has highlighted just how nice some of the countryside runs I've taken part in actually are!

• Lovely views at the top and was thoroughly enjoyable running up the hills to see them. Great friendly marshals with excellent feed stations. This was my 12th marathon this year and although the others have been X country I still smashed my PB by 15 minutes and came home in 3hrs 41mins .. I know its not essential but always like to get a t shirt (not saying they should be free) especially with a good course, its free advertising image) .. back to the hotel for a swim, jacuzzi, steam room and hot showers, perfect end to a pretty perfect marathon - Many Thanks

• The results are online - http://www.iekchiptiming.com/results/A20+Marathon-r119.html - but most people's gun times are about 4 minutes out from the chip time?  I'm not complaining as in my eyes the chip time is more accurate (4:12:34 - woohoo!) but I wonder why there is a difference??

Also the winner's (chip) time was 3:00:17  - an amazing time but you've gotta feel for the guy being 18 seconds out of a sub-3 hour finish!

• It was a great event! I wasn't sure what to expect with no profile map on the website (could this be useful?) and so decided that once my pace up any of the hills got outside 11 min miles I would allow myself a short walk. That seemed to work and got me around in a good time (for me).

If people are browsing this next year, before deciding to sign up (as I did a few weeks ago) then be aware that this tactic may be worth a try. The hills are a lot shorter than those for instance at Snowdon, so you can do shorter walk breaks without eating drastically into your time.

The aid stations, marshalls and overall organisation were great. Well done to all involved!

• Does anyone know if there are any photo's up anywhere?? I cant find any but I did see someone snapping away at points. I have emailed the organisers but not heard anything back as yet 

• thanks for the feedback , the e-mails we have had are saying much the same , we really put effort into looking after everyone as we appreciate the effort you have to put in to complete a marathon - if one more person finishes comfortably because they had hi-carb food to eat on the way round then its job done !  We couldnt get any official photographers to come but if any of those who were there does get in touch i will let everyone know .

• Sonic the sprinter wrote (see)

The results are online - http://www.iekchiptiming.com/results/A20+Marathon-r119.html - but most people's gun times are about 4 minutes out from the chip time?  I'm not complaining as in my eyes the chip time is more accurate (4:12:34 - woohoo!) but I wonder why there is a difference??

Also the winner's (chip) time was 3:00:17  - an amazing time but you've gotta feel for the guy being 18 seconds out of a sub-3 hour finish!

Awesome time yes and he is a top bloke and has many sub 3's under his belt. He also puts on his own marathons under name of Hermes Running - Thames Meander in August and Bewl Water in May....both great events and a run organised by people who know what runners want and need. Would deffo say have a look at either of them for a great run.  image

• Ah I know of those races - I was signed up for the Bewl 15 this year but had to pull out due to injury so will be there next year instead image

I was guted because I'd heard such good feedback about the race and it fitted perfectly into my marathon training at the time!

• I'm going to run the Bewl Marathon next, I'm hooked now image

• A Runner I'm so pleased you enjoyed your first marathon image

• Nice one A Runner, the first one is tghe best in so many ways!

Ah I know of those races - I was signed up for the Bewl 15 this year but had to pull out due to injury so will be there next year instead image

I was guted because I'd heard such good feedback about the race and it fitted perfectly into my marathon training at the time!

Sonic - Bewl 15 is a different event - this is Bewl Water marathon just to avoid confusion. image

The results are online - http://www.iekchiptiming.com/results/A20+Marathon-r119.html - but most people's gun times are about 4 minutes out from the chip time?  I'm not complaining as in my eyes the chip time is more accurate (4:12:34 - woohoo!) but I wonder why there is a difference??

Sonic - just realised - you were JUST ahead of me...my time 4.12.52.  image

• Were you the guy in the green top I was chatting to in the final few miles?  If so then you seriously helped me with my pacing during the final stretch.  If not, then you did an excellent time too! image I'm definitely confident for a sub 4-hour on my next flat race (Brighton, Edinburgh or Greater Manchester) judging by those hills!

• No, I am a Lady !!  image I was wearing a beanie hat with a poppy in it and had hair in plaits....as you do !! image 

It was my 38th marathon and 15th this year so pleased with my time and enjoyed myself which is the main thing on runs like that. I have a number of sub 4's under my belt and the first one was such a thrill.....if you don't get one before, you will deffo get one at Brighton so good luck. I've done all the Brightons and love them.  image

• Ah sorry - so hard to tell if someone's a guy or a girlie on forums!!

38 marathons - WOW!! I've only run 3 so far but noticed quite a few of the 100 marathon club were at this race and that's definitely an achievement I'm aiming for image  Only 97 to go...  I can't wait to run Brighton and am looking forward to a nice weekend in the area around it too - just fingers crossed it isn't a windy day...