2170 "Mud" Version

Can anyone recommend a shoe that's good for running through forest (so generally an be quie soft and muddy this time of year) for an overpronator?

I'm using Asic 2170 at the moment and have some Fuji ES for trails but I've had them long enough to need changing plus this time of year they let ALL moisture in!!!

I want a show that'll keep the pinkies dry and cope well with mud

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Dave Lanagan wrote (see)

I want a show that'll keep the pinkies dry and cope well with mud

Doesn't exist IMO!

Mud = wet feet, well it does in my part of Worcestershire anyway!

Personally, I accept that feet are going to get wet and then go for a shoe that's going to cope well with mud e.g. Inov-8. Whether you overpronate is not so much of an issue in an off-road shoe.

• Bugger - bad enough me having to wash and hose the dog down after our run never mind me too image

I has seen some of the Salomon and similar have goretex and thought they may work - wet feet = cold feet and that's just not fun especially once we get to very low temps

So... which Inov-8 works well for that lovely slippy mud with occassional tree roots?  Nice mix of loamy thick goo and slippery clayish bits here. image

How does the sizing work? I'm a 43 in the Asics.

Does anyone know if the Asics Trail-Lahar are based on the 2170?  I'm after a reasonably low rise and less padded rather than end up with something like a kayano! 2170 works well for me.

• i use the speedcross 3 which is an excelent mud shoe, it gives traction like no other imo, and its a very rugged and protective construction, but the the salomon speedcross 2, the previous model had a support post making it a shoe for over pronators, they have removed it since uneven ground like pete says kinda makes any pronation control useless. but thats a shoe you might want to consider? the V3 is excelent, 

• Thanks Marc - I will put that on the list with the Inov-8 if I can work out which models to consider.... 

Is the speecross 3 a reasonable low-rise shoe - i.e, similar ot the 2170 without being "natural" flat?

• Roclite are worth a look but for more extreme conditions , you can't beat the aptly named mudclaw. All inov-8 shoes are pretty low profile.
  • the speedcross looks bulkier than it is, its not as low profile as the inov-8 but your foot sits pretty low down in the shoe, the "bulk look" comes from its protection and bumpers, its nowhere near a "flat" shoe though, its close to an average asics road shoe in feel, the zip lock laces are particularly amazing when they are muddy and wet etc, they will NEVER come loose, or budge, 

• Dave Lanagan wrote (see)

I has seen some of the Salomon and similar have goretex and thought they may work - wet feet = cold feet and that's just not fun especially once we get to very low temps

So... which Inov-8 works well for that lovely slippy mud with occassional tree roots?  Nice mix of loamy thick goo and slippery clayish bits here. image

How does the sizing work? I'm a 43 in the Asics

A note on goretex - it will keep the water out to some extent, but really is not breathable enough in a running shoe to let all of the moisture you will generate out. Also, there is one big problem with making a waterproof running shoe i.e. the hole at the top where your foot goes in!image  The main problem then becomes how to get water out, so one that drains and dries quickly is probably a better bet IMO.

I've always found Inov-8 sizes to be the same as my nomal shoe size - I take a 8 (42).

• Mudclaws are the mutt's nut's for the really slippery and steep stuff. If not so steep  and slippery and I'm going into deep water, I prefer my Vibram Treksports.

I find buying a half size lower than normal works for me with all Inov-8s.

• Can higlhy reccomend Asics Torana 5, startfitness have them for £39.

Very similar to the 2170's in terms of cushioning and support and sizing. They would be ideal for trails and forest paths etc.