Monday 19th November 2012

Morning

Todays lyrics:Walking in the pouring rain

What:5 wet miles as its pouring down got soaked.

Why: Mmmm, because I enjoy it I suppose.

Lots to catch up on

Better do so

Back later.

Comments

• Morning,

Haven't a clue with the lyrics, could probably make an educated guess, but it's still a guess...

Gonna have a rest day today, west ham match is on the box tonight, so gonna watch that and be fully rested for tomorrows club session.
  • Morning sweep.

Just thought lyrics appopriate for todays weather up here !

• Morning

RFJ: Chapeau

NZC: Wish we had some track races, I like fast and furious, well done for beating your rival. Times don't matter as long as you beat your peers.

What: cycled pre dawn club run tonight but tired so won't be quick!
    Why: ?
    Last Hard: Todays cycle, legs protesting
    Last Rest: Thursday

Lyrics: No 

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics were A Change Will Do You Good by Sheryl Crow.

Dry here but forecast to rain by the time I leave work.

Good news that the hamstring seems to be sorted Dustin.

What:            short, easy run
    Why:             front loading week but mindful of need to recover
    Last hard:     17/11
    Last rest:       15/11

Lyrics - maybe

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all..
    LmH - I wouldnt say sorted, but deffo better. I have no major targets other than to do as many xc this winter as I can, so I'll take a step back if need be, and maybe curtail the length of my longer runs. Being sensible (for a change)..
    so...
    what - 3 or 4 easy
    why - recovery
    lyric - possibly

have a good week

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all

Well done to the racers over the weekend, RFJ for a great pb,  Chicka for a great effort, NZC, Straycelt and LMH (and anyone I forgot).
    Dustin glad the hammy is feeling better
    DD cycling already after that amazing effort last week, wow!

What: something very gentle
    Why: yesterday's match was a killer
    Last hard: that match
    Lyrics: nope

We lost yesterday really badly (14-0) though we did play quite well.  The team was much better than us so we could have lost 30-0 easily!  I spent the whole hour running from attack to defence so ran up and down the pitch for an hour solidly!  I'd love to know how far that actually was!  Peeing with rain all day as well so very soggy at the end!

Have a good day everyone

• Morning

Yesterday tried to post before work but internet failed and didn't have time to go back (usually you can find your post  by hitting the back button. Wasn't having it. Then too tired when i got home

LMH/Straycelt. Well done  on Saturday

RFJ Brilliant result  yesterday superb

NZC nice one  i too love Track races something fast and furious as long as its over 400metres image

What: A run don't know how far
    Why: see how i feel
    Last Hard: forget
    Lyrics not today
    Last Rest Yesterday

What:

• Yep settling in nicely thanks LMH. Good news on the job too! I'll be starting in January. Lots to achieve next year, what with VLM as well. Roll on 2013!
    What: Nothing.
    Why: No good reason. Won't be joining a gym for a couple of weeks. My new commute is quicker so I might try a run before work soon.
    Last hard: Yesterday's hilly 5k.
    Last rest: Today and most likely tomorrow.
    Lyrics no.

• Afternoon!

Excellent news, GGG! Well done...hope you are pleased with yourself! And yes, roll on 2013! Does your change of accommodation mean a new parkrun venue, too?

Not a lot to report here, apart from I have spent the last 24 hours with my foot elevated in bed: ankle keeps on swelling and is very hot. Hope it is still like this this evening as I am off for another trip to see the consultant! Am wondering if it has flared up following Friday's physio.

Lyrics: no

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • What: not a lot

Why: still on call and raining

Last rest: Saturday

Lyrics: no
  • Morning all. Coongrats all runners and GGG.
    Lyrics: Yes
    What: gym sesh for core (Done) Maybe 5k tonight
    Why: Need some abs and could do with a run out
    Last hard: Last Friday it turns out
    Last Rest: 8/11
    Dropped son in Cardiff this morning as he's on a week's work experience. Staying with his brother, who is at uni there otherwise impossible commute. Bit nostalgic like a first day at school.
    AH: trus it improves soon and nothing long lasting.
    LMH: spotted a cheeky 20k near Stratford on 08/12...might actually run that oneimagePossibly look for a flat 1.40

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Well done GGG!

Ale
    hope the ankle either goes down for good, or stays up for the consultant so they can see what's happening!

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Congrats 3Gs

RFJ - great HM very uplifting for you and lots of other things to go at.

Dustin - pleased to hear the hammie is settling down.

On the hamstring front, despite following LMH's good advice I've had a very uncomfortable couple of days and no running - so I'm booked in at the physio this afternoon. Hope this isn't the start of yet another injury....anyway time will tell.
  • Afternoon

Ale hope all goes well with consultant and they can see what  eactly is going on

GGG well done

Sweep missed your post earlier aalas not on normal telly but will be keeping an ear out for the result

Ended up doing 6.79 miles nice run through a nature reserve that i haven't run through was fun even with the bit of headwind

• Tom: hope the phys can sort you out! Frustrating!

Emzap:  Iagree with you in that I want consultant to see things at their worst!

Wabo: Hope you are not sulking after Saturday's match...it was totally ruined, for Spurs at least, by Adebayor's stupidity.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • GGG: great news! Really chuffed for you image

NZC: nice trackwork from you, yesterday. Yep, the other 4 races are on the same course but 2/3 of it is a forest trail around a lake so that'll make for interesting changes if wet/frozen/icy/snowy.

Tom: hope it's not another injury. You were doing so well lately!

what: a tentative jog later
    why: not trusting my immune system
    last hard: yesterday
    last rest: Saturday
    lyrics: I fear I should know them but I can't place them!

• Hello all. Will catch up in a bit but just wanted to park my race report and then cruise around later: I'm still in post-flight/public transport chaos mode and haven't settled down yet.

So I was doing the Zevenheuvelenloop (Seven Hills Run) - 15k - in Nijmegen, Netherlands. It's about 1hr 45 on the train from Amsterdam and has previous attracted luminaries to the field as Gebreselassie and Dibaba. This year saw Leonard Komen unsuccessfully attempt to defend his title. Ex-MUFC goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar also ran too. As it was my first 15k a PB was guaranteed. Huge plus to begin with.

It was my first proper mass race; 26500 finishers. Was slightly trepidous about how well-run it was going to be as I needed to find the start number hut, get changed, stash my gear, and find which starting wave I was part of. Needn't have worried; the organisation was as smooth as silk, really can't fault it at all - everyone seemed super enthusiastic and helpful. Got my number and changed in a designated parking garage and threw my bag into the storage facility about 100m after the start-finish and set out to warm up on the backstreets.

Based on a predicted finish time of 1hr 04 I was in the 'gold' wave, which was third of eleven. It was cold and it had started to rain. The elites went off and the masses thronged toward the start. They had a 'pinching' barrier at the start to give runners more road space at the beginning, which worked wonders. Some six minutes after Komen et. al., I was off.

Pre-race I felt that I was going to try and pace evenly - 21 min for every 5k. The first 5k was the least eventful; a long straight road with huge crowds either side that began to gently wind up toward the first hill at 4k before flattening out. Through 5k in 21.20, though never felt like I pushed above second gear and was slicing through the field.

Immediately after 5k the road hooked left onto some narrower country lanes and I started to push on a bit. Took on an energy drink at the 6k station and hit the first stiff hill at 7k feeling great - like actually euphoric rather than contextually okay. Between 7 & 8 was downhill and I conserved ahead of what appeared to be an absolute monster of a climb. It was. Official photographers were snapping people coming over the crest at 9k, every one of them looking dreadful. However, I was feeling AMAZING.

(cont)

• The run down to 10k was pretty quick and I'd gathered up a head of steam and was among runners in the blue wave (second off). Hit 10k in 42.00 exactly. Became momentarily so excited that I forgot to check myself heading down to the bottom of the last big climb and was going too fast to attack the hill - on a normal day. Things were going so well that I just bounded up the hill as if it was nothing.

Things flattened and I held back before the run-in as the course swerved back onto the main roads of Nijmegen. Felt the first real onrush of fatigue at around 13k but dug in running with a team of Dutch policemen and a drum band picked me up at 13.5k and I bulleted down the road. I was putting in max effort but was definitely a bit sapped - my form was a bit ragged and I knew that things were slowing but felt that a decent time was there for the taking. 

The run-in down the last 750m would probably make anyone a convert to the big city events, really roaring for everyone. They couldn't quite push me under 20 min for the last 5k, but I finished hard in 62.04.

Best race I've done in my short running 'career' so far. Really great course for the last 10k, full of atmosphere, perfect conditions eventually too - would drag a performance out of anyone. And I beat Ed van der Sar by 10 mins!

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Wow 7D a great race report and a great race!!!  You must be feeling so good.  One question though, hills?!  I thought Holland didn't have any of those :P

• Honestly Emzap, I thought the race name was some kind of Dutch irony at first. It's down near the German border (ish) where it's not just endless flatlands. To be honest I think a lot of the Dutch nationals were caught out on the hills too, I was really having to weave to pass going uphill.

• Great running, great report, 7D. I thought you might just sneak under 63, but that result is far better than I expected, especially considering the volume of runners. Would you do it again, or is it a "once in a lifetime"/"glad I've done it but there are other races etc" (which is how I felt about the Great North Run).
    Well done!

Am I right that "zevenheuvelen" means 7 hills?

• Congratulations GGG.

Fantastic result and report 7d - well done! Amazing to feel so good but great when it all comes together like that.

Alehouse - hope the consultant can see what you're dealing with and suggest a remedy.

Don't get too despondent just yet Tom - it has only been a few days.

Just back from 6 easy and enjoyable miles.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Alehouse - it does mean Seven Hills. In terms of what we hill dwellers call hills I'd say there were three, the rest were slightly impertinent inclines.

I honestly think I'd like to do it again next year. It was cheap, considering - E21 including chip, but now I have it it'll be E17 next year.

• Well done 7D you are definitely a speedy runner.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Well run 7Ds - sounds like you had a ball!

Back from physio. The hamstring problem I have had three times previously and all were caused by misallignment of the sacro-illiac joint. I'm not sure physio agreed that was the cause, but he mobilised the joint for me anyway. On the other hand he didn't think there was any significant damage to the hamstring but possibly soreness and inflamation caused by friction at the point the muscle meets the tendon across the bone. Advice is that I can carry on running on it but slowly so as not to aggravate the inflamation and to ice it regularly. I've also been given some strengthening exercises to do. I'm down to run a 10M leg in a cross country relay (Hereward Relay - Peterborough to Ely across the Fens, LMH?) next Sunday. He reckons I should be OK if I take it steady - but I'm back to see him next Monday, so it will be useful for him to see the residual effects of the Sunday run.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Tom, good to hear that you can still run and hope that it starts to ease off even more

7D - fab report, sounds like a cracking race too

Rest day here, just having an easy day with lots of food..image

Take care

• 7D great race and great report image imageimage

• Beginning to wish I'd gone for a run instead of watching the footie...
  • And there's the equaliser, Sweep!