7D: Cracking report

ale: Good news then

Tom: And the same with you.

georgina: Thats really good: Well done

Back later.

Comments

• Morning.

Didn't know yesterday's lyrics.

Tom - that is good news but steady does mean steady - I was able to train for VLM and run it well (for me) with a constantly grumbling hamstring - no speedwork, no hills, watch the mud and ice after each run. You'll be right. I've never done the Hereward Relays but know of them of course.

Alehouse - more good news. I've known far more medics be negaitve about the chances of a return to running than I have positive so if he's confident I would be.

birkmyre  we have your rain here if you'd like it back?

What:           something on the turbo
    Why:            I need to get on the bike more
    Last hard:    getting up
    Last rest:     15/11

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning

Tom: Phew

AH: You will be back

What: Splash at lunch, trot tonight
    Why: Recovering from last nighst club run
    Last Hard: Last Night
    Last Rest: Thursday

Lyrics: yep 

• Morning all,

No for the lyrics.

Club session tonight, no idea what's planned image

Have a good day everyone.
  • Morning!

Another no re the lyrics.

Thanks for the comments, particularly Straycelt (although if you are posting after midnight you can always start the thread!!image).
    I will be 59 at the turn of the year. I like your advice:
    Patience (which I have only gained in the last year!):
    Controlled progression (I like the phrase...I usually say progressive consistent consistency);
    Will power.
    Add a dose of common sense and that sounds like a good recipe!

What: find the box of common sense.
    Why: so I can control my progression

Actually will go for a short walk, short exercise bike session (no more than 2 x 5 minutes, gently), plus stretches.

Straycelt: arthoscopies...on what? Mine was on my shoulder, which reminds me I should change my forum picture.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hiya. Thanks for all the congratulations guys, really kind! I'm so pleased, it puts an end to 3-4 years of really short-term stuff.
    What: Again nothing.
    Why: Still adjusting to new routine. Home Run tomorrow though.
    Last Hard: Sunday.
    Last Rest: Yesterday.
    Lyrics no.
    14-0 bad luck ezmap! Pammie* it's infuriating when the internet does that isn't it! alehouse yes new nearest parkrun at Brockwell, might try it this weekend. Sounds like you won't have to make that journey for a little while then, that's good news. I'm sure the physio will continue improvements. Tom and Dustin hope those hamstrings start behaving. 7D well done in Nijmegen.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

Thanks for the positive vibes and sage advice - especially LMH.

I've always been very sceptical about the ability to get an accurate diagnose of injury. However in such circumstances all one can do is follow the advice given. Obviously having made some progress over the past few months I'm anxious not to let it slip away, but that shouldn't be achieved at the expense of turning a three week injury into a three month one. As this is week one, I'm going to concentrate on running slowly and comfortable with lots of icing. Regarding the Hereward relay I'll run it if required, but I will see if they can find a replacement for me.

One thing that is clear from this thread is that old age and injury seem to go hand in hand. Our only consolation seems to be that we have the good sense and experience to manage these issues (well, you lot have anyway!)

Have a good day all
  • Sounds sensible, Tom!

GGG: I've done Brockwell a couple of times and it isn't the easiest of courses if you are't used to hills. I have seen some of the London based Ethiopeans doing a hill session there! One of the girls that I coach (not that she does what I tell her!) lives nearby so when I have been down in London have done Brockwell, plus Wimbledon and the Last Friday of the month in Hyde Park. Wonder when the next time will be!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good morning, good morning. Sitting at desk looking out to the mountain on my right and can't see above 100ft. Soggy, soggy day. Late on as took delivery at work of industrial size multi gym we're storing for a friend for a few months. Will be assembled and in full use by tomorrowimage
    Lyrics: Yes indeed
    What: Not sure but it should be a run
    Why: Got to get back into the routine
    Last Hard: Getting to sleep last night.
    Last Rest/Easy Yesterday really
    AH RKnee outside anterior meniscus complex tear and inside posterior meniscus horizontal split, throw in a Baker's cyst and job done. Took 12 months to run a mara again(New Orleans and VLM last year) and hope to continue the comeback at VLM with GFA
    7D..loved the report. Did the Njimegen Marches in the 80's and on day 3 I asked when the killer hill was coming and was told we'd already been up itimage
    Have a good day all.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    GGG - good news on the job front!
    Tom - all sounding positive...
    Aleh- likewise, all good news, and yes, time is integral to the healing process

what - club night, timed pyramid (rather than dstance)
    why - Tuesday

lyric - not sure

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Back again. Comfortable 6M done. Hamstring a bit tight to start with but loosened up over duration of run but a bit stiff over last mile. Sitting hear with ice pack applied.
  • Good news on the injury front Tom and Alehouse.

7D: check you out!! image Well raced and really well written. I enjoyed that report.

Straycelt: hope you don't have to run up that soggy hill tonight image. Blimey, that was some injury! You clearly don't do things by halves.

Managed 4 slow miles last night and 7.5 this morning. HR still dodgy and there's lots of white stuff covering my tongue image. Usually a sign of some infection. I feel pretty much ok though.

I know the words today image

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

ooh chickadee, hope you are ok

alehouse I have run at brockwell a few years back, if thats south London, oh and the last friday serpy one

went back to the track last night, first one in months, it was great!

what: club run not sure how much

why: I need to get to the club I need to up my training

last hard: thelast 300m last night which was the fastest

last easy: all weekend

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • What: nothing
    Why: dreich image
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: no

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Whay - 4.25m recovery run
    Why - Legs are mashed
    Last hard - Sunday
    Last Rest - Monday

Lyrics No

Take care all and dont forget to listen to your own advice - s..... always been my problem, I can listen to others, but never to myself...

• Can't keep up with the thread at the moment.

Tom - glad you are managing to keep that injury at bay, so you can celebrate your 65th in style.

Alehouse - will be good if you can be all fit and well to celebrate your 60th!

Wabo - well done at the track.

chickadee - get well soon.

Lyrics - yes!

What: No run - didn't manage to fit one in!

• 'something on the turbo' ended up being an hour with 3 x 10 minute intervals off 5 minute recoveries. Pleased to be able to raise the HR.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • 400 metre intervals with 400 metre recoveries was tonight's efforts, lost count but think we did 5 sets. I opted to drop down from the fastest group as legs felt uncomfortable on the warm up jog, but I settled nicely into the intervals and kept to the front of the group throughout.

Covered 7 miles in total, and the masochist in me really enjoyed it image
  • Me and my girlfriend are going to the running show at sandown park this weekend, mainly just to have a weekend away, I entered a competition to win a place in the 10k race they're holding on the Sunday, and just got an e mail saying I've won image