P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• The last time I followed P&D (2007) I tended to do the medium long and long runs on hilly-ish routes, but then again I live in Bristol and so flat running routes are few and far between!  More seriously, I think doing steady running on the hills does really help with leg strength, especially if (like me) you don't do leg weights.

• Joolska wrote (see)

The last time I followed P&D (2007) I tended to do the medium long and long runs on hilly-ish routes, but then again I live in Bristol and so flat running routes are few and far between!  More seriously, I think doing steady running on the hills does really help with leg strength, especially if (like me) you don't do leg weights.

I agree - turning to XC on the "off" season is really helping my strength, which is a definite weakness in my case!

• That's my book finally been delivered. I'm looking forward to reading it but think I've already decided that I'm going to do the "Up to 55 Miles Plan".

55 miles is more than I've ever done in a week but I'm been slowly upping my mileage in preparation. 33 last week & 23 so far this week.

• sounds good, Ziggy. I'm sure P&D will have you run a great marathon. Your 5 and 10k times suggest there's quite a bit of talent image

• chickadeee wrote (see)

sounds good, Ziggy. I'm sure P&D will have you run a great marathon. Your 5 and 10k times suggest there's quite a bit of talent image

Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't say I have 'talent' but since the Edinburgh Marathon I've enjoyed focussing on 5ks and my PB has improved quite a bit.

It'll be interesting to see how much it has helped on the longer runs but I am worried that I haven't done anywhere near enough miles.

• Started my HR training today, just been for a 5 mile run at 140bpm found it bloody hard to run at that pace, it felt really slow. It took 48 mins.

Just guessed my MHR rate as i'm not doing it on the track till tonight, once i've got my real MHR how long should i run at this -50 for before i do some different sessions ?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

ashman - presuming you're going to use an 18 week schedule, you've got about 4 weeks before P&D tell you what to do.  So in this "base building" stage I'd just run a mixture of runs at either 75%max or 70%max (and make those limits a ceiling rather than an average).  The more miles you do at a deeply aerobic pace, the better...

• Cheers Teknik thanks for the advice !

• 11.5 miles in 1.45 all well under 70% tonight..I really had to fight with my competitive nature when a rather large chap mid 20s with wobbly lurrrrve handles puffed and panted past me (obviously running at 110% ) I wanted to shout out "I am a granny running at my lowest possible heatrate you arent THAT good MR image"

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

That's very restrained running NN. I think I would have struggled to keep my ego under control!

• I'm just back from an enjoyable 12 miler in bright sunshine, where my Avg pace was 8:26 and my Avg HR was 129.

I'm a bit guilty of running too hard most of the time but I'm going to try and spend the weeks until the 17th of December just accumulating easy miles.

Having said that, I think I'm going to do one or two parkruns. My home parkrun has a fairly nasty hill just before the finish and I'm going to use it to try and see what my maximum HR is. I've never tested that before.

• Another easy 8 before work last night , 72 mins average HR 68% rounds the week of at that magical 50 miles image

• Great effort NN 45 myself hoping for 50 this week..

Easy 6 this morning for me its blowing a gale here.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Only a slight breeze nr Channel Tunnel. 5m to kick start the week, following on the heels of my first 50m week in over 10 months!

• Morning everyone,

I'm also aiming for a 50m week this week, which for me is Week 1 of a 6 week pre-P&D base building period

My plan is to have most of my runs for the next 6 weeks capped at a heart rate of 135bpm (70% max), with the only exception being one medium long run a week where I will let my heart rate get up to 154 (80% max). If this starts to feel dull at any point, there may be the occasional Parkrun....
  • 44 miles for me last week so well on track for 18/55 plan.  Finished the week with a 14 miler steady run yesterday.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all - still not sure what plan to do - not sure I can fit in all the mid length runs of the 55-70 plan, but up to 55 plan looks a bit light. Was thinking of taking a few miles off the mid length runs during the week on the 55-70 plan and adding to the long run on the weekend......that be ok you think?!

I am slowly building up a base, but have really struggled with various niggles the last few weeks so keep forcing extra rest days. Probably running between 30 and 40 miles a week at moment, with a long run of about 13 to 14 miles on the weekend. Have been running garmin free so no idea of pace or distance, just taking it easy really.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

I'm feeling a bit behind the training curve, as last week only totalled 30 miles with a ten mile long run.  I'm guessing you are following the 55-70 plan, as on the

• Afternoon all

A lot of good running going on here.

Stutyr - I too am a bit behind, although still building from a marathon.  I was in Tenerife on holiday last week and manage about 20 miles over the 6 days.  It was rather warm even at 8 am and much more hilly than I expected.  No idea what my heart rate was - probably just as well! The main aim was to do some miles and therefore blunt the effects of too much food and drink.

Back to it this week and hopefully up to about 35 miles.

Purchased very expensive new winter running jacket while on hols so have to get use out of it. image

• Is this right then guys, if my MHR is 195 (not done it yet) i should be doing my runs at 70% which is 133 bpm to me this will feel slow as hell for about twelve weeks??

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

For some reason my post was cut short - I was just checking that people were following the 55-70 mile plan, as I was feeling comfortable for the

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

ashman...Yes it will feel really slow, but improvements will happen over the next few months.  If 70% turns out to be 'walking', then stick to your 5k pace (in min/mile) + 3 mins i.e. if you run a 6.50mm 5k, don't bother jogging slower than 9.50mm...

• Afternoon

Looks like 50 is the magic number image

I didn't really intend doing a long run this afternoon when I got up, but looking at the weather forecast today was the better option, rather than leaving it till tomorrow.

So 14.25miles in 2 hours 12 all sub 70% , the average was only 65% so pleased with that, especially after a set of 3 night shifts

Ashman whan I started these 70% runs my pace was well over 10 min miles, but now , like today I can run  9.15s, and sometimes after a few really easy days of low miles the pace is 8.50s , it does work I don't know how or why I just do what the book says and follow advice on here...stick with it.

Fiona well done for running while on holiday. All I do if I go somewhere warm is 4-5 miles every other day or so just to keep ticking over , my friends think I am mad taking my trainers on holiday but I just don't feel right if I don't do something

15West no garmin ?? I would feel like I had lost a leg running without mineimage how do you work out the distance ? map my run ?

Smug day off tomorrow image

• stutyr wrote (see)

I'm feeling a bit behind the training curve, as last week only totalled 30 miles with a ten mile long run.  I'm guessing you are following the 55-70 plan, as on the

Hi Stutyr,

I don't know about everyone else but I'm just doing the "up to 55 mile".

I say "just" but tbh that'll be the largest weekly mileage I've ever done and I'm already having doubts about whether I'll manage that.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    Night Nurse wrote (see)
    15West no garmin ?? I would feel like I had lost a leg running without mineimage how do you work out the distance ? map my run ?

Educated guess. I know I run about 7 or 8 miles in an hour, and for pace I am just going off feeling. I think it's good practice to leave the garmin at home sometimes, and at moment I am not that bothered about exact distances and paces,

No run for me today, bit of cross training in gym.

• Agree with 15West i also sometimes leave my garmin at home and find it great just trusting your feelings as i know roughly give or take a few seconds how fast i'm running. Its great not looking at your watch every few minutes.

• Night nurse - I couldn't leave the trainers behind either. Thankfully my OH also likes to do a bit of running so the suitcase was full of running stuff. image I'm going to a conference at the end of the week in Berlin with hand luggage and I'll have running stuff in there too.image

15West - I don't always use my Garmin as sometimes it is nice to just go to feel, however, I usually have it so that I don't lose track of time and end up late - a hazard of running before work I suppose.

Ashman - I haven't yet work out my MHR but I fear that I will be going a bit too fast most of the time especially if I consider 5K +3 mins.  That would be 10:45 m/m but I usually stick to 10:00 m/m.

• stutyr, i'll hazard a guess that both times your posts were cut short was when you tried to use the less than or greater than symbol on your keyboard (they're to the immediate right of the "M" key on mine). i think this forum doesn't parse them very well (possibly interpretting them as HTML) and will crimp your post at that point.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Cheers Agent Ginger, I think your right as I tried to write "less than" 55 miles using the symbol rather than the words.

• Hi everyone, Wow you dont check this site for a week and about 3 pages get added.

Had a bit of niggle last week with my right calf so 3 forced rest days but still clocked 33miles, so will take that as a recovery week image . Hoping to build upto 44/45miles this week to continue my base phase and slowly increase things over the coming weeks to the mid 50's.