Milton Keynes Marathon

Anyone training for Milton Keynes Marathon 2013?  Working Sundays from January so Bank Holiday race day ideal for me but will need to factor in long runs during the week days. 

Comments

• Hi, you do not say where you are based?  I am doing MK 2013, aiming for sub 4 hours and would be happy to have company on the long runs.  Can do some weekdays, in the Northampton area.

• I have entered and will start training seriously after christmas. Only intending to get round wth a smile as my new job means getting time to do enough long runs for a pb is not possible.
  • I would suggest joining a local running club who offer marathon training, where are you based?

I ran MK this April and loved it! I've also entered 2013.

• I would agree running clubs can provide great support, even if you can't get to the scheduled sessions you will meet people who you can then hook up with for training.  I'm also doing Milton Keynes 2013 and have signed up for the improvers workshop in January and all three of their organised training runs, I don't like doing too many races as part of training so hoping these runs will be less competitive but still get me to cover the distances.

• I like the idea of a running club. We use to have a lovely one in the village were I live, friendly and supportive, ran by people who knew what they were talking about. But the leader moved away and it sort of fell apart. It did wonders for my running, maybe its tiime to find a new one or look at the mk traing sessions/runs. Looking forward to running mk.
  • Quick question to those brave souls how ran it last year. ( as I recall the weather was awful) How would you describe the course?

• Overall it was a brilliant day (apart from the rain) the course was flat with just a few climbs out of the underpasses,  I remember having to go up one bridge near to the end which was bit of a struggle.  It was a really scenic course running around the lakes. Despite the weather there was still a good amount of support which really helped. Have a fab day x

• Thanks for the info. I did all the training last year but was ill the day before so could not running so have to do it this year. Unfinished business and all!
  • I'm running 2013!  And also ran in 2012.  The course was nice.  Very flat, can't remember there being any hills at all...just a few small humpback bridges to head up and over.  It will be really nice if the weather is better this year!  It can't be that bad two years running right?!  Am looking forward to not having to empty out my trainers of the puddle inside and not having to run nearly an extra mile due to diversions this year!!!

Drinks/Nutrition was in all the right places and there were portaloos on the way round.

Despite the weather, I loved it as my first marathon.  image

• Did it this year - here is the elevation as recorded by the Garmin. Pretty flat:

/members/images/445769/Gallery/Running_Milton_Keynes_29-04-2012__Elevation.png

• Thanks, I thought it would be quite flat but nice to know from those who have experienced it.
  • Thanks for the feedback people!  I always feel better if I know what's coming in a race and can prepare mentally for any nasties coming up.  I spectated at the 2012 event, the weather was dire but the marshals and spectators were very vocal and enthusiastic in the encouragement to to the runners.  Hoping for the same when it's my turn to run (and for better weather!).

• Hi All,

I am the Sports Massage Therapist at a Halton Health and Fitness Centre. We are running a completely free marathon clinic for those running marathons in 2013 to help get your training started on the right foot. Clinic includes gait analysis, injury screening, sports massage and advice on training and technique.  See http://www.twogoodsportsmassage.co.uk/2/post/2012/11/free-marathon-clinic.html for full details.

• Am thinking of doing the Manchester but now its approaching in Apri,  I havent done enough training. The MK  could be a possibility as my first marathon as have a few more months, its a fare bit away . . and I can get my running mojo back (running in the light mojo. . ). May can be hot though (I know last year was freak conditions . . well I hope). But I come from MK and know the area. 

Anyone else undecided ? x

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

I am considering this marathon. This would be my second marathon - I did the Budapest one this October and my feet are itching to repeat the experience image

• Just signed up for first marathon. Hope it's good.

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭
    Gonna sign up tonight - woop woop!
  • Woop woop indeed, just bought a garmin so I hope my training goes well.

I did the Norwich half marathon in 1.54 so hoping to go under 4 hrs.

• Getting excited already,can't wait!!!!  New route for next year looks great too!!!

• Just checked out the dates, I was thinking of doing the MK instead of Manchester because of my lack of training  . .and then I looked at the dates. Yep, MK is in May but only a week after!! 

MK is only up the road for me.  . so still considering. Nice one Timi, hope you booked on  image This must be prime time to sign up  Susie, have you done it before? Which garmin have you got Seth? 

x

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭
    I've managed to sign up so the deed is done, no turning back! In order to ease into the Marathon running spirit, I have booked myself into a practical, 1 day workshop about Marathon Running by Sam Murphy in London in January (some of you may know her books quite well or her regular column in the Runners World Magazine). I'm very excited to meet some like minded people and learn from someone who has a great reputation and vast knowledge in the running community!
  • Myself and the Hubby are in training for it also, its our second marathon we did Chester in October (4:37:19 & 3:48:29) , i'm hoping for a better time so far if things continue to go to plan i'm hoping for as near to 4hrs as i can get, a sub 4 would be great but i'm not sure this is achievable yet. I completed the Conway half this year in 1:56:56 and have got another 5 halves booked in before the big day so far so good. If anyone is looking for a great but challenging half, Conway is approx 4 mile steep up hill to the Great Orme with fantastic views.

• I have just signed up for the MK Marathon, which will be my first. I've run a number of 10K, 10M and 1/2M races, and it's time to step up! Training starts in earnest tomorrow...

• The husband and I have also signed up - our first marathon although we've done adventure races, 10k, 10m and 1/2m too.

Bootcamp this morning and a short run to get back into it after injury tonight.

• Hi envious, I've got a 110 with a HR monitor. £100 off ebay. Hopefully I'll be able to use it to get the right paces, it's also great to log and compare runs. I'm enjoying trying to make sense of it all.

I signed up as I figured I'll never win any races but just finishing a marathon is a win and a real achievement as it's so far. Hopefully stay well and injury free. It's great to have something to focus on. 

Hows everyones training going? 

• I've signed up, so excited. I have done plenty of 10K and halfs but this is my first ever marathon.

It's a life ambition of mine, many people have told me I won't be able to do it. I have a full time job with a long commute every day (3hr round trip), I also have a young child, my husband works at the weekends which is when I am off work and we don't have any help with childcare. So I have to be really inventive with fitting in training, but so far I am keeping up with the training plan. 

I don't think I will be that quick, but I am just concerned with finishing on the day, I can worry about the time next time! 

• I have signed up again for this, it was a good course last year apart from the rain, but apparently changed the course this year.

I am also doing Pitsford marathon in march, this and Mk are training runs as hopefully having a go at a 100 miler in August.

Hope evereyones training is going well, looks like we are going to be in for a few cold weeks, but it is all character building.

take care

• Hi all! BOING! I have entered this as my first marathon and would hope for a time around the 4.15-4.30 but really just hoping to have a good day! How everyone is getting on?

• Disaster! I have a 'prolapsed disc' I haven't ran (obviously, I can bearly walk) for over a week and long term my osteopath thinks I may be able to run slow short distances in about 4 weeks, but even that isn't guaranteed.

I've already pulled out of the Silverstone half marathon and I'm going to be so upset missing my first ever marathon, but it is't realistic! 

Any advice / ideas would be welcome, I am so very upset as usually I don't let anything stand in my way but this has beat me! 

• Joanne, a prolapsed disc sounds quite serious, it must be really difficult, but you have to look at the long term and there will be many more marathons in the future to have a go at, you need to get yourself fit first, it will be worth taking a few weeks out and then looking forward, take care and rest