Medals or no medals?

123457»

Comments

• NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    I did a marathon recently and, as I was walking away from the finish, there was a finisher medal in a skip. Why bother taking it in the first place??
  • I wear medals with pride!! at the end of the day we are all winners even if you finish last, as we are the ones getting of our sofa and doing the training and races!

• good luck Beth with ur half marathon training, dont worry about being slow, i'm a plodder and for me its about finishing ( yes i wear my medal with pride lol )

• I enjoy my finishers medals. I bought an engraving tool (under £8 at Lidl) and I engrave each one with my name, time, pacing, age-group placing (and name and date of the event if it's not on the medal). I get a certain amount of pleasure in the visual reminder of my achievements, whether it's a 10K or a 50-miler. And when (hopefully not for many years) I can't run any more, it will be nice to have these mementoes.

Every race will be someone's first race, or their first at that distance, or a PB, or whatever, and will be the one THEY want to remember.

I still run parkruns, and other races without medals, but I like the mementos, and do use find that they trigger memories.

• That's a good idea, might have to get myself an engraver. I love medals. Would not do a race if it did not have one. The parkrun Tshirts are great motivation as well, getting the 50 shirt was a great feeling

• Debra....I agree, I like the visual reminder of my achievements too, especially when I see the ones I'm most proud of. 

I don't have children yet, but I imagine it's always nice to see at the end of a race how proud a child can be wearing mummy or daddy's medal round their necks.....and at that age I can still bend the truth into making them think I got it because I'm good, not because I finished! image

• i would give you a steak pie pete with chips. grow up.

• I did a x-country last week where there were medals for the first 3 in each age category and a Xmas cracker for everyone else.  I came 2nd*, so got a medal.

*there were only 5 in my age category, shhh don't tell anyone