Outlaw 2013

Comments

• Or is Meldy an Argie? image
  • Not sure about the falklands.but i'm feeling freezing here today.......and its mild.......not sure whats going on.must be because i'm reading about snow and ice.

• Wasn't Meldys national service done in the "Troop entertainment division" ?

• 'Who do you think you are kidding Mr. H...' Oh no, hang on, that's Dads Army! Melds wasn't about at that time, surely?!image
  • So when are all the Fink followers planning to start training?

10th of December or are you going for an earlier date to give you some leeway for lifes little emergencies?

• 10th of December for me, but doing some training now as carp on the bike and the OH keeps nagging me.

As I only work 10mins down the road by car and OH works away from home most weeks for a few days (not that it would make a difference as he make me train anyway), I shouldn't have any issues with being able to train per the schedule. 

Now to find the energy levels to do the training.  Did a swim this morning and I'm hungry and have eaten my snacks. image

• I'm also starting on the 10th. Looking forward to it actually. I've been tackling #turbovemver this month so it's been handy aking sure I manage the daily sessions. I've been fitting a bit of running and swimming in too. I should be at masters swim on Friday, hoping that I've had that eureka moment - although it will probably just go horribly wrong now I've said that
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    10 Dec for me, having said that I'm doing plenty of training at the moment, just need to add another swim session and build up length of long ride and i will be at finks peak weeks.

Might need to find another schedule that starts off with more hours than fink.
  • yep, 10th December for me. got the Fink plan all typed up into Excel and ready to post up in various places to remind me what i'm supposed to be doing on what day/week.  Never been this organised before....image.

If anyone wants a copy then just message me on here and I'll send it on.  It's for the Competitive Plan (aim high that's what i say image)

• As ever I've spent hours over analysing this one,

I'd like to have started early so I can repeat any weeks as necessary, training off plan in advance doesn't give you that chance.

But I'm doing Outlaw 1/2 which is after when the fink plan says to do a half, I also notice he tapers a tad into the half so I'm going to have to switch that around a bit some how. Maybe skip the taper ala fink and then do that taper the week before outlaw half and pray skipping it the earlier bit doesn't make a more than 10% training jump?

Recovering still from marathon means earliest I could start is Dec 3rd so I may start then but then what happens if I don't have to miss any weeks? How will I move things around? I 'm aware of the if you miss 1 session just move on which is what I plan to do so in that case do I really need to start early?

Arghh is all I can say! Confuzzled bear as ever.  Hence I may go with the masses which so far is start on the 10th image At least I'll then know we're all suffering together. image

• Starting a finkish plan from the 10th with some slight amendments due to w**k weeks and marathon stuff. Hopefully be able to stick to it this year.

Alibear there are better people to give advice on this but I wouldn't worry to much about one week I would do some base training from the 3nd just whatever you feel like and start the plan from 10th. It's a generic plan so don't be afraid to twek it if you need to.

• Hi all. I was going to follow the middle plan but was a bit worried that it starts with 6hours a week. I did 6 hours last week but really did b*gger all. The problem with using time is that if you're at the slower end of things you're not getting much done. I was thinking therefore of just carrying on fitting things in when I can. I thought 3/4 bikes rides, 3 runs and 2 swims in a week, getting a longer session in as the weeks progress. If I start now then I don't need to worry too much about a holiday Next year I can add a third swim and go open water. Does this all sound very naive as i've never done this sort of thing before

• SS - I too am at the slower end of things and am currently training around 9 hrs a week but i'm going to drop back to 6 for the start of the Fink plan.  I had a good look at the plan again last night and it soon starts to ramp up the hours.  I've never done an IM before so on this occasion i'm going to ' do as I'm told' by Fink and see where that gets me.

• I don't need to lose any lard and I'm still at the slower endimage

• Ooer - glad I dropped by, because I'd planned to start on 16th, but glad to be corrected on that one. Had to have started having a play catch up right at the beginning!

10th isn't that far away, is it? Really looking forward to having a structure to get me back on track
  • 10th December start with Fink's Just Finish plan for me.
    Have been getting bits of training done in order to keep the fitness levels up, mainly swimming and a few turbo sessions.

Have a session with the physio at work today to check out my left leg/knee to make sure that its up to all of the training. I don't want to get 8 weeks from the Outlaw and end up pulling out again because my knee might give in on the day. Just hoping that I've not overdone it with the strengthening exercises and the left leg is now stronger than the right leg.

• This is all new to me too, but as i was out of shape i decided to extend the base stage of the fink plan, having done 4-5 weeks i can say you don't need to worry about speed it will come naturally as you train. Three weeks in after i had added time and seen little/no improvment i was starting to worry that i had not done enough, then in a week my run pace picked up by 2.5km per hour at the same effort level. I've seen a few people say it takes 6 weeks for your training to have an effect so stick with it.

Good luck to all of you doing outlaw this year, i bottled it and went for the half IM, which may well have turned its self into 2 halfs. Will hopefully be joining those who do outlaw in 2014.

• Hello all,

Me too at the slower and heavier side of  things.  Training in all three at the mo but not at any intense pace, just to keep things ticking over for when it does all start going a bit mental.

I think I'm going to be ok at the swim and the run will be a crawl to the finish, my issue is the bike, not having learnt as a kid and learning now is a tad stupid me thinks, but a can now ride it, just need to get on the road and play with the traffic.

Anyone else coming fron a not so good bike side of things?

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

Tired Legs, i am at the slow heavy end of things but 30 weeks can do wonders (fingers crossed), plus i have a good mentor to guide me in the right direction.

cant wait for the 10th to be honest, just ticking over at the moment.

• Good luck all image

The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

I'm very slow! I'm decided to run at low Z3 as Z2 is walking as I also have a silly HR

Give Z2 a chance! You'll find that you start to get a lot quicker in a short time. You'll need to keep it in Z2 to keep the load on your body low during the first few weeks as you ramp the training.

What is your MHR (and RHR if you know it)?

• TJ1004 wrote (see)

Tired Legs, i am at the slow heavy end of things but 30 weeks can do wonders (fingers crossed), plus i have a good mentor to guide me in the right direction.

cant wait for the 10th to be honest, just ticking over at the moment.

Agree I just want the 10th to get here and get on with it, although will carry on training at low intensity till then.

Will sort out my watch for HR as the battery has died.

Rest day here for me and OH is taking me out on the bike tomorrow = I'm gonna die. image

• Similar HR figures to me then EP. 153-175 is typically Z2.

I'm no biologist or doctor, but walking at ~170bpm would suggest your MHR is extremely high, or something isn't working...how fast were you going at 205? What is your HR like on a turbo? What HR monitor are you using?

• i was over 210 for the first 1/2 a mile of a race recently and when i tried some a few sprint intervals in training managed 196.............

but i find that i can run slowly at about 170 for walking sounds incredibly high....i was worried about mineimage

• EP  I vaguely followed the Hadd method at the beginning of the year after a 3 month layoff which was to run at 75%? of max so I was shuffling at 14-15mm. I kept at this for a while as I didn't want to bring back foot injury and it did get quicker. My long runs(actually all of them because there's no difference for me for long and recovery!!) are now done at about 10.45 - 11mm and at, or just above, 75% of max. Just done a marathon with a pb of 4hr 21 so 10mm. The problem is it does take a while, so maybe you should just run at a comfortable talking pace. As an ironman virgin I can only assume endurance is key rather than speed.(Providing that equals less than 17 hoursimage)