First 100 mile race in 2013

I've signed up for the 2013 North Downs Way 100.  It will be my first attempt at 100 miles - I've not run further than 100km up to now.

Anyone else planning their first 100 miler in 2013?

Comments

• Hi Martin - I did think about a winter 100 but I thought the weather would be much more pleasant in August...

• Thames Path in March, and I'm in the Western States lottery, although if I could choose when I get lucky I would prefer that to be 2014...

• Kevin - looks like you'll be the first - we'll have to pick your brains then!

• TP100 for me too. Coming up fast which is pretty scary!
  • Did my first 100 miller this year and in for all of centurions 100 milers next year !!!!!
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    South downs for my first 100 next year!
  • Lingster did you have a training plan? Doing my 2nd comrades next year plus s 40 and no doubt a few marathons in the build up. Also in a team for TR which will be my first night running. On paper I think I could finish but dont have a clue was at first thinking about 2014 but ??????!!!
  • Looks like we're all running Centurion races then...

• I had to pull out of the winter 100 this year and so am now on the waiting list for the SDW. Does anyone have any info on the waiting list with regards to numbers and likelihood of places arising?
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Another one here for centurion! Did TP100 earlier this year but when I reached the 96m checkpoint the race was abandoned due to the horrific weather. In again for next to settle some unfinished business and hoping that the forecast is somewhat improved.
  • You ran 96 miles then the race was abandoned? image

That must have been a bit annoying!

• Yikes Andy - that's really bad luck.image

• Mr f - you should have run quicker image Good luck for you next attempt !
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Ha! Well, we were smack on course with our projected pace. Had 4hrs left before the cut off when we got to that point. Was really gutting. Il stil be aiming for a.similar lace next year, just slightly quicker early doors.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Slow Duck - NDW100 was my first 100 this year.  Excellent choice.  I found I had to keep moving - 41% of the field were timed out which I was determined was not going to happen to me and I finished last but one in 29:44:00!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Rex, is that 41% of the field missed a CP? that was a big problem at the TP. I planned my pace quite specifically to see me get in 'comfortably' in around 28hrs, 2 ahead of the final cut off. However, there were.a.few.checkpoints In the middle that were very close and many people got caught out despite them being well paced. I guess the organisers bank on runners being quicker early on and then slowing later as opposed to being evenly paced throughout. Just before one of the checkpoints at around 70m a spectator at around 6am told me and my friend that we were gonna be close to the next cut off so we had to put a sprint mile in to get there in time, but then we had somehjng like 2.5hrs to do the next 7m or somerhing.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

mr f - I suppose some were retirements but I think the bulk of the DNFs simply did not make CP cutoffs.  Whether this was because the CP closing times were erratic I don't know.  Probably more that the course was more strenuous than people were expecting and they got caught out.

In these sorts of events the early CPs do close early, and you get more slack in the system as you go on.  They don't seem to be geared up to exact even pacing throughout - probably because that's not what runners generally do!!

• I was hoping to be relatively even paced, never thought to look at CP cut offs!
    Also on the site it says all drop bags will be disposed off?? I was thinking about having a shoe change, starting in road shoes and then trail as a lot of the first 1/3-1/2 is paths and road, fairly firm. The last part is more track, fields etc (gates!) so if it is at all wet will need trail. Not run more than 40 mile in my trail shoes, a bit less cushioning hence the change. Maybe I will have to look at new trail shoes then.........Dear Father Christmas please can I.....!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Or goretex lined furry wellies??
  • mr f wrote (see)
    Or goretex lined furry wellies??

image I think it will look like I'm running (erm shuffling? ) in wellies by the end!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Awesome! The stretch around Abingdon was certainly like that!
  • Thanks mr f. Do you know if the cutoffs are the same this year, or have they learnt from that ? I have no idea how I will go, but would try for even pace until the wheels go square.
  • Some races make the early CP cutoffs rather strict just to add to the challenge. I've heard the Spartathlon cutoffs are rather brutal in the early stages. Not so fair for steady runners maybe but all

adds to the fun I suppose!
  • Mr F - thanks for some really good advice on cut-offs.  So sorry that the elements conspired against you this year when you were so close to the finish...image

Jeremy - I suppose the trick with the drop bags might be to have a support crew handy to collect your disposed goods?...

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Makes you more determined eh slow duck!! Time is running by sp fast though, march will be here before I know it!!
  • SD - would be nice but it will be a solo effort. Have 3 pairs of road shoes on the go so might use and discard the oldest. Rest of drop bags will be cans of coke, cake and chocolate!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    My drop bags at TP last year contained teacakes with nutella spread, various energy bars, salted peanuts and some nuun tablets. But to be fair, as the race went on I just opted for what was on offer. Ie, warm soup, sweets and the odd sandwich etc. I brought so much food home! I had trail shoes at half way but didn't change them.in the end. My kayanos were comfy, feet were well tapes and I didn't want to upset things. I had awful blisters and rotten feet by the end but I think that was all the water we went through! Why do we do this to ourselves? The funniest bit was trying to go to the toilet at 4am the following night when in bed. I was paralysed and physically couldn't get out of bed! I has to wake my wife to bring me a bottle!!
  • Lol... oh dear Mr F, the 'peeing in a bottle' brought a few tears to me eyes with laughter! I can totally sympathise too; after my last ultra (only 70 compared to your gigantic 96), I couldn't move after having rested for a few hours. I had to literally throw myself off the bed & kind of caterpillar myself to the bathroom, it then took me the best part of 10mins to make it onto the toilet - ouch!
    Also signed up for my first 100 miler next year & had intended to do the SDW100 but stories of getting lost towards the end really put me off image so I decided to go for a fool proof 'loopy' one instead :-/ ...

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    It's amazing what we put our bodies through eh! Thankfully the Thames 100 is well marked and any slightly dodgy parts had small flow sticks hanging from trees to make sure you were going the right way!