HADD training plan

Comments

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Nice run Andy. That is an impressive solo 10k. Was that at 80%? Did you run to HR or feel? Did you have any rests between the miles? 

How are the quads Brian?

Going to don the rain coat for my LSR in 1hrs time. Going to do the clubs core / stretching session afterwards. As it is based at the track I am tempted to spend the first hour doing the 2400m test (130bpm/140/150/160/170) with 90sec rec and see what pace it comes out with. Despite the wind it might be useful to have some base data so I can measure my progression in the future. 

• I've been HADDing now for about 2 months. I've not been following it quite as methodically as some of you, but i have noticed a general increase in my pace for "slow" runs at an easy effort level. I've been very gradually increasing my weekly distance, still only low compared to many here, but i managed 32 last week and will complete about 36 this week barring injury, which has been (fingers crossed) so far avoided, probably because of the low intensity.

At the end of Sept/start of Oct I was doing all my runs around 11min/mile or slower, trying to keep my HR below 145-150 (and struggling with that). Now, running at the same effort I've noticed the pace has drifted to ~10min/mi, with the HR staying around the same 145-150 mark. The only faster run i've done is one Parkrun, and I plan to do another this weekend, then one more in a couple of weeks (as my timetable allows) just to psychologically reassure myself that I can actually run faster than my "easy" pace.

I plan to continue this approach until the mid/end of Dec, and I think it will have done me good and put me in a reasonable position to start my marathon training around xmas.

• Brian- I didn't really know how much drift to expect to be honest as it was the first one but next time I'm thinking maybe 50-60mins (8-10mile)

Keir- I ran to heart rate as a continious effort. Finished feeling like I could of done another 10mins without any real difficulty so am confident about the next one. Next wednesday probably. image
  • Also Agent ginger keep going, your doing it thats the main thing.
  • AgentGinger - thats a quick improvement for 8 weeks. 1 minute per mile better than when started - fantastic. I guess the mileage is helping.

Check your drift over a longer run - say 10 miles and post some stats.

Looking good

• Agent Ginger-  You have got a 1 min mile difference  which is some going!

• Great splits Andy.

Thats some improvement Agent Ginger, well done.

Good luck with the injuries/ niggles Tek, Johnny and Spen.

Did my first bit of Hadding for a week or so after tapering and recovery from the weekends half marathon. 11 miles tonight, averages 141 BPM (about 73%) and 7:57 m/m. Legs not quite right but not too bad either.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AgentGinger - that's a great improvement in 2 months...well doneimage

Nice run Gaz

Managed to miss the storm tonight, and got 8.5m in at 70% + a few blips on the hills.  Still way off the pace I was pre-Frankfurt. Knee survived intact.image

• GazOC- well done there. A half mile further than my evening run you did image

Tomorrow morning will be a nice steady 70% for me.

Tek hope the knee sorts itself asap. Hate niggles I do.
  • ATD.... Talk like Yoda, you do!
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Was that10k a 80% run ATD and what are your pbs?

Hope the recovery continues Tek.

Nice recovery Gaz.

Did you run last night Spen?

So I did my first HADD 2,400m test last night. 1m w/u (which in hindsight I didn't need as was above 130bpm!) then 2400m (6 laps of track) on, 90sec off:

131bpm (69%) 8:02m/m - felt sooo slooowww
    139bpm (74%) 7:27m/m - ok
    149bpm (78%) 6:53m/m - a bit livelier
    158bpm (83%) 6:18m/m - slightly uncomfortably fast, but nice
    167bpm (88%) 5:53m/m - hurts, but managable.

I took a lap or so to reach target bpm (130/140/150/160/170) which is why the ave bpms are a bit lower than targets.

Anything else I can read into these stats, or do I need to repeat the test in 6 weeks time to get something meaningful?

Rounded off with an easy 6m to make 14m in total and a core and stretching 1hr session. image

• spen71, I've done Amsterdam marathon and Prague half 3 times. And of course Eindhoven this year. Really enjoyed all 3 places, especially Prague. Prague is a fantastic place to visit. Got the lot - culture, food, beer, nightlife. I would like to do a big city mara in the States.

Keir, quads a tiny bit tender ta. Things settling down now following my second session in the gym. Got 2 sets in quite easily, should be able to step up to my full routine next week, 3 sets of 2 mini circuits.

AgentGinger, good for you. It's always nice to hear of excellent progress. Patience is the key.

AtD, when I return to the 80% runs, I tend to go straight in to 70mins. Not sure this is a sensible thing to do but I have been doing the hadding on and off since 2005 so I guess I'm used to it. But the drift on 70mins can be massive (up to 1min/mile) from memory. I would move up by 10mins each run if I were you. The fact that you were comfortable is a good guide to your coping with the increase. If running these by feel, I tend to reccomend that you should be able to complete the 70mins and be able to keep running (no rest - as after tempo say) albeit running slower, continuing into your cooldown.

Teknik, good news on the knee - easy does it. 

Gaz, Good that your back on the horse. Whats the next target?

• Keir, Wow! Thats a good evenings work! 14M and a sore session - nice going. Cracking numbers on the 2.4k test too. Looks like you have an improvement of ~ 4s/mile for 1 beat. Mine tends to be ~ 3s. Not sure what this means at all, just an observation really.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Interesting. Brian. As you say, not sure if that means anything. From experience I know my marathon ave HR is 161 and 5k 173, so there is not a lot to play with between that range. Not sure if that is good / bad / will change or is irrelevant. 

• Keir, That is interesting. My 5k HRav (from Aug 2012) was 172. My last 4 marathons came out as Apr 10 - 165, Oct 10 - 162, Oct 11 - 164, Apr 12 - 161.

So our racing HRs are almost identical. How old are you btw? I'm 51 (but don't tell anyone)image.

• Thats some nights work Keir, well done!

Brian, Ive got a 10K race a week on Sunday in which I'm pretty confident of shaving off a bit of time off my PB. Then hopefully a few 70 mile weeks Hadding until mid January when I start a training program for Manchester marathon at the end of April
  • Gaz, which 10k are you doing? I'm toying with either the Ribble Valley 10k or the Hot Toddy on 30th Dec.

Anybody heard the rumour that there will be a York marathon (and maybe a half at the same time) in the near future?

• thanks for all your words of encouragement image I shoudl probably reiterate that i've not been measuring every single run i do, or doing the HADD test run thing, to accurately measure improvement, but mostly running by effort, and just checking occassionally to make sure my HR is not drifting too much. I'm planning a 10 mile run on Saturday, so i'll strap on the HR monitor and check for drift over the distance. I still don't "feel" particularly fit, but I guess it's hard to remember what I felt like before, plus it's quite humbling to have most other runners passing me :-

• Keir wrote (see)

Was that10k a 80% run ATD and what are your pbs?

So I did my first HADD 2,400m test last night. 1m w/u (which in hindsight I didn't need as was above 130bpm!) then 2400m (6 laps of track) on, 90sec off:

131bpm (69%) 8:02m/m - felt sooo slooowww
    139bpm (74%) 7:27m/m - ok
    149bpm (78%) 6:53m/m - a bit livelier
    158bpm (83%) 6:18m/m - slightly uncomfortably fast, but nice
    167bpm (88%) 5:53m/m - hurts, but managable.

I took a lap or so to reach target bpm (130/140/150/160/170) which is why the ave bpms are a bit lower than targets.

Anything else I can read into these stats, or do I need to repeat the test in 6 weeks time to get something meaningful?

Rounded off with an easy 6m to make 14m in total and a core and stretching 1hr session. image

Keir yes it was a 80% run. didn`t think i`d manage the full 70mins so just went to do 40mins for the first session. next time i`ll be tempted to go for 70mins but will take Brians advice and go for 10min increases so for example next wednesday i`ll do-

15min warm up (approx 2miles)

50mins at 80% (approx 8miles)

i look forward to seeing what these sessions come out as when they get up to 70mins because i reckon the session could end up being around 15miles with warm up/Down.

oh you asked what the PB`s are:

5k- 16:22

10k- 34:28

10mile- 57:19

HM- 1:16:50

FM- 3:05 (training run)

NOTE: all these are pre hadd so i hope to get significant improvement on these in 2013.

• Nice set of PBs Andy!

Brian, I'm doing Wrexham 10K on the 2nd Dec but theres also a double marathon in Liverpool on New Years Eve and Day that I'm thinking of doing one of the day's as a training run to blow the cobwebs away after Xmas. Good luck with your choice of race.
  • Also well done on the 2400m reps test. I think it actually looks a hard session as it goes on, I've not done one of em yet, (not enough days in the week).

gaz oc are you doing helsby in Jan. Its only about 6weeks away I think.
  • AtD, I'm mightily impressed with your pb's too, but I knew what level you were at from the Sub-3 thread. I'm not so sure you will readily improve your 5k/10k direct from Hadding. You may need to ice the cake a little, with maybe 4 weeks of sharpening. But I'd be very surprised if youcouldn't better your half time with very little tweaking.

And of course the marathon is a given, with the appropriate long runs.

Gaz, good luck in Wrexham. What is your pb/target?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Yes. I'm glad I asked about the pbs AtD. That certainly explains your pace on the session the other day! But how can you regularly post on the sub 3 thread without having seriously run a marathon? Better put that right soon! image

The session was hard, but actually there was more easy time than hard time, if you know what I mean. I found I had to run with my HRM in my hand all the time and keep checking HR every 200m as it was easy to be a few bpm over / under without realising.

I think I will slot in a bit of 80% next week. Is 40mins within a 60min run a good starting point?

• AgentGinger - Do not worry about everyone passing you!  I am at the same level running at 11min miles doing HADD base. I did HM in March at 9:40 pace and started REALLY slow - it's surprising how many people you see zoom off quickly and then after 5 or 6 miles you are passing them with comfortimage.

I'm still working on base phase and think I'll be there for another few weeks before putting an 80% er.

• I did not run last night.  I was asked to do the main share at an AA meeting so dashed off (Im a recovering alkie btw).   Will run later really need to get back into it.

Im a Chester lad originally btw and did look at doing Helsby in Jan.

I am defo going to stick with HADDing as it will suit me for my next Ultra in May,   Malvern!

• Spen71 - I'm originall a Wirral lad!!

Anyway went running last night - local village road flooded on usual route - spent the next hour dodging huge puddles and crazy drivers who seemed determined to blind me with their full beam. What is it with them? - if I was a car coming towards them they would dip and slow down - but no, they obviously have part of their brain missing when it comes to deciding what a runner is!!!

Sorry, rant over - as a consequence my HR as a little elevated - still only 72% but pace was really slow.

• I'm entered in Helsby and ill be hoping to get that 9 seconds of my 1:30:09 time for last weekend. My old 10K PB is 42:10 but I think Im capable of getting under 41 mins on a flat course. We'll see next week!!
  • A few of us seem to be from the same area!!!!   I live in Brum now tho for my sins!

• macemace ✭✭✭

Good grief, things are moving quick in here !!

Dr Dan - top running @ Abbey Dash. Sub-40 looks to be in trouble image

BD2000 - keep with it and never be ashamed of your times, you're doing a great thing and will improve. HADD will get you under 2hrs HM for sure image

Preston666 - welcome and good luck.

Keir - liking the cake analogy. And it's ggod to see somebody doing a 2400 test, can't say i've seen many report on doing one in this thread. Not done one myself either. Oh, and 14M followed by an hour of core !!!??

Tek - nice plan ... good to hear the knee's holding up.

Brian - interesting reading and points ( particularly re drift, makes sense) ... and i'm glad your arse-ache cleared up image

Chick - pace less 'shit' now i hope image

atd - impressive 80% stuff

Spen - glad you're ok

Agent G - nice improvement @ 70%, well done.

Gaz - good luck Sunday

First sub-LT run for 2 months this morning so i'll whack some stats up in a minute ... best post this first before it gets lost .....