ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Thanks, xine and Sleepy Bear – sounds like we'll need fairly thick skins if we get past this stage, but regardless of the result I bet it will be a great experience!

I'm going to pay a visit to my local Parkrun on Saturday to try and remind my legs what running at any kind of pace is like.

• My pleasure, don't worry about the forum response. We like to think they are the most important aspect of RW and forget that Asics 26.2 Competition is advertised to thousands of people who have never heard of or used the forums before!

BTW - If you feel like someone is deliberately flaming you or using your thread just to have a bitch about the entire competition, then use the "Ignore" button (it comes up if you hover over the photo next to their name). I've found it very useful image

• xine ...........I always ask an awkward question on the chosen ones threads as i like to see how they answer....shows some more of their personality .....image

some of the actually threads have been very heated.the one where the person was obviously put well out of their depth...and not  their own fault..had a lot of questions for the mentor and the person about their suitability for the task in question and as to whether it was in their best interests to push on at that aim..that was the year before last........

• Part of the competition entry states that you will have to be happy to use the forum and interact..........so the quicker you fit in an learn how to ignore the obvious trolls and interact with the majority is for the bestimage

• Posting wise - my advice would be just to be yourself - you may offend some unintentionally and others won't necessarily see your point - but others may "get" you just as you are!  You might as well enjoy the process as much as you can and just be honest.  That's what I'll be looking out for.

I personally don't care who you are, why you run or how good your spelling and grammar are. I simply want to support those who I think are going to enjoy the training and the race, those who show some humour and enthusiasm, and who are going to inspire me to want to put the same effort in.  That is after all why we all run isn't it? To feel good...

Please refrain from any Victoria Pendleton rollercoaster emotions - I just can't cope with all that image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Great news for all those selected. We are very fortunate to have this opportunity and I'm determined to enjoy every minute.

There isn't a great deal we can do to influence either our performance on the day or what people may think of us. I thought about injecting some pace into my training this week - but it doesn't make any sense and I'll risk getting injured. They are very experienced coaches and will understand that we are in base building mode and that speed will come later. I don't believe any one aspect will be the selection criteria as long as we show enough to make them feel we could meet the goals and meet the spirit of the T&C's.

I don't mind if I get awkward questions. I entered for my own reasons and I'll be true to myself. Of course some people won't get it or, dare I say, be a little jealous. Why shouldn't they be - I think I may have been. No need to be rude though!

For those going, I'm probably going to Birminham the night before because it's too far to travel on the morning. Anyone else going to do that?

• Hey! I am also going to bootcamp and really looking forward to it. Still cannot actually believe that I have been selected. Anyhow DS2 I am getting a very early train in the morning. Hope I don't jinx in some delays! You're probably doing the right thing going the night before.

Fig rolls and jaffa cakes? Guess they might help give some energy when out on the track. Looks like all groups have a track session after lunch which is a shame as I usually make a wee pig of myself at a buffet! Oink! Feel a stitch coming on already..... Any other advice from people who have attended bootcamp before?

• when the shortlist is announced.there is always a lot of debate because out of the 20 or so chosen.only 2 or 3 last year were regulars on the forums....so a lot of regulars get upset and have a go..not at the individuals chosen but at the setups that seems to favour those who havent contributed in the past.........and these debates spill onto your voting threads.

so be prepared that it will probably happen and don't get involved and its not personal...........this will soon pass over....it happens every year

I believe that these competitions are here to bring in new people and if you have too many established posters then lurkers might not feel so happy to jump in and join the threads.........

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Totally agree DS2.

I think I'll have to travel up on Thursday too as I'm coming from London. M25, M40, Birmingham on a Friday morning? Probably quicker running itimage

Despite all the talk of flames, trolls and heated exchanges, I'm still on a high just to be heading to bootcamp. I never win anything. If I pull a Christmas cracker I always end up on the losing side (there just has to be a technique I'm missing!)  So I'm just elated to have made it this far.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Malcs - I'm in Kent so similar issue. I looked at hotels today. Plenty in the area and I also asked RW if view could recommend. I'll let you know tomorrow when I look closer what looks good.
  • i think that bootcamp will be a great experience for you all........whether you get shortlisted from that or not.............

you have nothing to lose as you are already prize winners.........image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    oooh it's been busy on here today! I'm really looking forward to meeting all you bootcampers next Friday.

re hotels in Birmingham I've stayed in a few different ones on Hadley rd. easy location all have been ok.
  • Hello all. I'm new to the forum and relatively new to running. And I love it.

I have only found out about this forum after making it to boot camp, I'm really looking forward to it. As much to get my first bit of professional advice as anything.

I've had to annoy a lot of people in work to arrange the day offto make it to bootcamp, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I don't really know what to expect but I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

Jon.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Welcome on board hairofthedog - to the forums and running! Stick at both. You get lots of help from almost everyone and when the going gets tough there is always someone to pick you up!

Look forward to meeting you next week!

Jenf - I'll be flying the Vet flag as well. Power to the oldies!

• I didn't make it to bootcamp but will be following all the oldies with much interest!

Keep posting and let us all know how the day goes....

• Great news to all those that have had "THE CALL" - dead excited for you. ENJOY!

seren nos wrote (see)

i imagine they might talk more to you at bootcamp about posting on the forums.........they said they would last year and one of those picked at bootcamp hadn't posted at all and continued not to post at all when the vote was taking place so that noone could find out about them at all.................such a waste of a place......

She was in my category seren and still to this day don't know what was going through her head to get that far and not post??? Agree it was a complete waste as there were loads of people who didn't get through and should have.

SteveT 23 (and all other relative newbies) being on the RW forums for the past 5/6 years has helped my running loads and there are threads on this site that you can find & feel at home on for the info and like minded people on there - a font of knowledge. Best thing you can be is yourself & honest.

Good luck to you all. image

• another quick tip for those who get through bootcamp..........don't set up lots and lots of threads asking for votes............it will really piss off some of the regulars...........and lose you votes..............

just set up the one thread.............and you can also then ask for votes on other regular threads that you have been on and contributed on.

the reason it upsets some of the voters is that with 20 of you being shortlisted..........then thats 20 new threads on the forums making it harder to find the regular ones............if the 20 all set up 5 or 6 threads then thats over 100 new threads.....

so to not lose votes set up the one thread and stick with it...............

I think one of the ones in the running last year lost out on the votes because of that simple mistake........image

geting exciting.hope you all have a great time in bootcamp and the weather is good for you

• DS2/Malcs, let me know if you find any good accommodation as I'll be travelling over from Surrey the night before to avoid doing battle with the M40!

I hope the weather's better next week – I went for a run last night and it almost turned into swimming training it was that wet.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Steve - I had a look yesterday and there are a lot of hotels. Since I'll probably up there quite late I'll probably look for something cheepish. Only really need a warm bed and a shower. I'll let you know what I find.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

If you're coming by car, apparently parking can be a bit tricky. I called the facilities contact and he said that because they are still in term time the car parks can get very busy so you need to arrive early as you may have to hunt for a space. He also warned that there are alot of local road works in operation. 

All the car parks are pay and display. He recommended the North car park of Pritchatt's Rd or the South off Bristol Rd.

Maybe public transport (at least locally) is a better option? You probably spotted that there's a station at the university which is on a main line from New Street.

I'm wondering whether getting accommodation near to a station might be better than taking the car. 

Has anyone from previous years got any handy tips?

• Parking was no worries at any of the meets last year, use the north car park as it is close to the track and sports centre.  Take loads of change at it is £4.50 for the day pay and display.

I echo the points made by SN & KR, stick to one thread and post about you, your running, engage with people and answer the questions honestly and with a smile and it is a pleasure.  SN asks tough questions, but for the right reasons...and yes there are some less than charible people out there, but there are everywhere so don't worry about it.

Best piece of advice I can give is smile and enjoy the whole thing is sooooo much fun

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info Choisty. Did you stay overnight or was it close enough to drive on the morning?

• Hi all

Just to clarify (so you're not all worried about post-lunch 5k-ing) only one of the groups will be unlucky enough to get that slot.  They kind of rotate the sessions so whilst

Group 1 doing the physio assessment

Group 2 + 3 will be out on the track - each doing something different

Group 4 will be playing with trainers

Then you swap to the next session with one of the indoor sessions between each track session.  Well that was last year...

7 more sleeps peeps imageimageimage

• Yep, I drove up in the morning as I live close to Newbury so it was only about 1:30 away

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Ah! Yes, not too bad. I'm probably looking at 3 hours and it's a Friday morning so maybe more. My old body would struggle to run at all if I drove up on the morning!image

BTW - loved following progress last year. great performance! What are your current goals?

• The rail link is brilliant and there is a train that comes from Birmingham New Street and stops at the University campus - University (Birmingham). I did look into driving but when I saw the train it was a no brainer.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Beginning to think that way now knight rider (btw. well done on last year!)

I would never drive up on the day at that time but on the train it might just be possible. Would need to leave the house at 6 though - ouch! I haven't seen 6am for a long, long time image  

• Malcs.did they forget to mention that if you win then you have to run at 5 am every morningimage

• Agree with Seren's advice one thread for voting that was my mistake got too excited....didn't appreciate the damage I was doing. SB also made the mistake re a thread name. If not used to being on here tread carefully or ask for help before starting. Enjoy the day.image

• DS2, thanks it was great fun, just got a HM out the way which was the autumn focus (1:16:56), now the base building for VLM, target 2:40