Refuelling during a run?

I'm quite new to running (recently completed my first 10k image )...normally i don't refuel/drink during my runs unless its very hot. however, i have just entered a half marathon (eek) and was thinking that i probably need to start thinking about taking some sort of drink/gels or food with me for longer runs...just wondering how often i should be looking to drink/eat on a longer run? i realise that it probably differs from person to person- but some general advice would be useful!

Comments

• You shouldn't need any extra food or energy on a half marathon.

Drinking is up to you - but even then you shouldn't need much. A swig every now or then should suffice.

Even a gel takes 20 minutes to get into your system - solid food longer so you'd have to plan ahead anyway.
  • thanks for the reply image i read an article in womens running magazine about half marathons and it said to experiment with refuelling before the race- but you reckon a few small drinks (of water?) would be sufficient? its so confusing for beginners! image

• Well done on completing your first 10k, what was your time? Hope it is the first of many for you!

I entered my first hm in September and found that I really benefited, albeit perhaps only psychologically, from eating a couple of jelly babies after 3, 6 and 9 miles. This also gave me a yardstick too, a small carrot to dangle in front of myself!

I ran carrying a small hand held water bottle and I liked the freedom it gave me to sip as and when rather than relying on drink stations.

I tried gels but the ones I tried made me feel sick, they didn't taste good to me, but e be ruined has different preferences here. Try a few different ideas, gels, isotonic drinks, water, sweets and see what works for you. Then stick with your chosen combo for a few long runs and remember the golden rule, don't try anything for the first time on race day!

Good luck for the hm, when is it? Do you have a goal in mind?
  • Predictive text sucks! E be ruined was meant to be everyone!!
  • Have a banana half an hour before you run. You will digest it slowly and it will release the energy you need. Have something ready to eat as soon as you get back.
  • Hi Diggerbez, I'm a newbie as well and been running almost 4 months (just started training for my first 10k at the end of Jan). As Tim suggests I always try to have a banana about 30 minutes before a run then do my back excercises for 10 mins (have chronic back pain). I'll have half a liter of water, sometimes with a Zero Isotonic tab on my return, stretch a little (whilst smoking) and if I'm not going to be eating within an hour will oft have a protein shake or a fruit smoothie.

I did try Jelly Babies on a 10 mile run but found them difficult to swallow (literally) and guess your supposed to suck them? I have a camelback but have only used it once so far. If your well hydrated before the run you should be able to do a HM with just a few sips though can't speak from experience and as you say, we all have different needs.

Of course, things will be a lot different in fairer a fairer climateimage

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Running with back pain! 

Stretching whilst smoking!

Styleimage

If I had chronic back pain I reckon I'd have to mainline something before going out, let alone drink.

🙂

• timinho wrote (see)
    Well done on completing your first 10k, what was your time? Hope it is the first of many for you!

I entered my first hm in September and found that I really benefited, albeit perhaps only psychologically, from eating a couple of jelly babies after 3, 6 and 9 miles. This also gave me a yardstick too, a small carrot to dangle in front of myself!

I ran carrying a small hand held water bottle and I liked the freedom it gave me to sip as and when rather than relying on drink stations.

I tried gels but the ones I tried made me feel sick, they didn't taste good to me, but e be ruined has different preferences here. Try a few different ideas, gels, isotonic drinks, water, sweets and see what works for you. Then stick with your chosen combo for a few long runs and remember the golden rule, don't try anything for the first time on race day!

Good luck for the hm, when is it? Do you have a goal in mind?

Thanks! i did the 10k in 1hr 12 seconds- was aiming for about 1 hour 5 so was pleased but also slightly gutted to not make it under the hour! realise it sounds quite slow for many but i have realised that i am just a slow runner and i just need to deal with it!

some great advice there thanks. HM is Warwick in March image

Andi McGill 2 wrote (see)

Hi Diggerbez, I'm a newbie as well and been running almost 4 months (just started training for my first 10k at the end of Jan). As Tim suggests I always try to have a banana about 30 minutes before a run then do my back excercises for 10 mins (have chronic back pain). I'll have half a liter of water, sometimes with a Zero Isotonic tab on my return, stretch a little (whilst smoking) and if I'm not going to be eating within an hour will oft have a protein shake or a fruit smoothie.

I did try Jelly Babies on a 10 mile run but found them difficult to swallow (literally) and guess your supposed to suck them? I have a camelback but have only used it once so far. If your well hydrated before the run you should be able to do a HM with just a few sips though can't speak from experience and as you say, we all have different needs.

Of course, things will be a lot different in fairer a fairer climateimage

banana is a good idea actually- hadn't thought about eating before i go but reckon i can force a banana down! think i might struggle with the jelly babies too- i'm not very good at talking and running and so eating and running might be even harder for me! haha! good luck with your 10k- i thoroughly enjoyed mine

also loving the style- smoking and stretching!

thanks folks!

• 1h isn't particularly slow for a first time. Enjoy, you'll get quicker, give it time.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    For a 10 k you shouldn't really need to drink or eat anything on the run itself, as long as you are fuelled / hydrated beforehand.

Also no need to carry water round with you in a race as there are usually plenty of water stations en route. Carrying stuff will only make you slower.
  • Diggerbez. As a beginner, you may want to have some fuel with you on what are, for you, long runs, e.g. more than an hour. Personally, I like Kendal mint cake, but other people may prefer jelly babies, jelly beans or even gels (those get expensive). I'd also suggest carrying some fluid on longer runs, whether just water, or with added electrolytes (e.g. Elete - electrolytes in concentrated liquid form, no flavourings or sweeteners, or Nunn or High5).

Note that the distance/time you consider to be "a long run" will increase the more running you do and as/if you move on to longer distances. Later, you might not need/want to refuel during a HM, but at the moment you probably do.

• The trick is to increase your distance slowly, your body should get used to it.