Dog Fouling - Done to Death, I know . . .

Comments

• fat buddha wrote (see)

carter - I think my last 3 words sum up my thoughts on shitting cats.....image

I was hoping you would provide a more detailed explanation in the same way as you did for dogs image

• Phil - one doesn't wipe whilst out on a run, you have to think of it as nutty bodyglide.

The bottom line as far as I'm concerned is this.  Dogs are not wild animals they are pets and their owners are responsible for them.  You and I can't shit where ever we want so I don't see that it's ok for dog owners to allow their dogs to do so.  It took a long time for smoking in public buidings to be outlawed and one of the arguments against it from smokers was the nanny state etc.  Look at it this way.  There are no benifits to dog shit in the enviroment.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    Grendel3 wrote (see)

What about runners - I carry bags for mine, if I do it on the beach close to where I live I collect it up and bin it - if I do it in the bushes I tend not to - is that wrong - especially as it is dark at 53:45 am so can't always see where I leave it!!! image

Your comment about crapping in the dark leaves me with an intriguing question - can you wipe your arse properly in the dark??  Or do you always miss a bit??  image

Your query about Grendel's comment about crapping in the dark leaves me with an intriguing question - can you see your own arse when it's light out, or do you use mirrors when you have a poo??

This reminds me about a question people ask about poops on runs. What do you wipe your ass with.

Well, you don't plan to have a horrible mid run splurge, so it's probably the least of your problems....people who take toilet paper are almost wishing it on themselves, and then where do thet ditch the soiled paper?

Not to hijack this thread from whether ipods in races are a hazard, or whatever this started off as.

• When I'm out on a long run and think I may need it, I carry some paper. When I've done my jobby, I ditch the paper on top of the, erm, product to act as a kind of warning flag. Although I always try to find somewhere off the path, of course, and I run in the countryside.

I carry clingfilm for when it happens in a race. We're always told not to litter so I wrap it up and hand it to the next marshal I see. They're always appreciative.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Another anecdote for runners with the runs.

I used to......no, enough!

🙂

• some times shit (dog) happens.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Once saw a women wiping the bottom of a very hairy dog using a piece of newspaper.

As I passed in the van, I could see from her reaction that she had accidentally put her fingers through the paper.

Nearly had my own accident.

🙂

• @stevieg - on the beach it is easy I must have removed tons of sand over the past couple of years since I started running - i the bushes when I can see it it is not easy - but on a serious note re your comment, have bee to the docs and was told it happens (I know it happens but why) could it be dairy intolerance?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Grendel, i used to glug skimmed milk down, and even 3hours on found it caused problemos...

skimmed milk cut out = no problems at all since.

now if only i'd worked that out a year or so earlier!!

• PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Once saw a dog lay one down on a path and the owner wasn't too concerned so offered her some tissue paper so she could clean it up.

She ignored me so I told her "I've got all day to follow you home and I'll lay a nice turd on your front door"

She took the tissues and cleared up her dog's messimage

• " I dislike dogs, and dislike dog owners"

Well thanks Stevie G. Glad to hear you dislike me, even though you've never met me. Nothing like a massive generalisation is there?

• for those caught short and needing to relieve themselves - make sure you find a place to dump with either plenty of grass or leaves to wipe with or, in one unusual case of mine, a dumped sofa - the stuffing came in very handy....image

the best leaves to wipe with are dock leaves as they are large and don't rip easily but one word of warning - make sure you can tell the difference between dock and teasel leaves.  they look similar but teasel has sharp spines on the lower side - as I found out to my cost one day as I was in a rush....image

grass is useful but you may find one or 2 leaves get stuck in the crack - that can make the rest of the run unpleasant....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    MattDA wrote (see)

" I dislike dogs, and dislike dog owners"

Well thanks Stevie G. Glad to hear you dislike me, even though you've never met me. Nothing like a massive generalisation is there?

You never know Matt, I might have met you as I politely smiled as your mutt affected one of my runs, whilst you told me he was just "being friendly" or "just playing", or the best excuse some old granny said once...

"he thought you had food"

me.."i do"

her.."Oh".

• No, you won't have done, because I don't allow my dog to bother people.

Yes, that's right, not all people that own dogs are exactly the same! Shocking!

• Running offroad: if my dogs crap on a well worn path I'll remove it. If they crap a reasonable distance off the path I leave it there. The places we run, there is a fair chance of stepping in cow shit, horse shit, cat shit, sheep shit, chicken shit and (worst of all by a million miles!) the ultimate stink of fox shit. With all the other shit already there to contend with, I can't see the odd dog shit as a huge problem...

My own bugbear is horse shit left on my local bike path. Some piles are over a foot high and can cause crashes for winter cycle commuters as its hard to spot in the dark. I don't think anyone ever got a head injury from crashing on dog shit.

I dislike seeing big piles of dog crap but at least it breaks down eventually. Litter such as discarded gel wrappers and energy drinks bottles piss me off much more.

Here's a question though: With the new biodegradable poo bags which do actually break down in an eco friendly manner, when running or walking on hills and mountains all day (i.e. not wanting to lug a bag of poo about with you for 8+ hours) is it acceptable to bag it up then lob it a good distance away from the path?
  • MattDA wrote (see)

" I dislike dogs, and dislike dog owners"

This reminds me of the time Anne Robinson put "Welsh people" in Room 101.  I'm surprised she's still alive.  She does like a sweeping generalisation though.  She ended up having to put an apology in The Times Magazine - in response to a letter written to her by my dad - likening all Millwall fans to rottweilers.

Do you like the way I brought that back round to dogs?

• I do Phil. I also like your suggestion that Stevie G apologise to me by way of an official notice in The Times.

• Is dog shit much of a problem these days? When I was young (20 or so years ago) I used to see dog shit on the pavement and in parks all the time. These days it's pretty rare.

Still annoying when you do see it, or don't see it and then step in it.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

When I was young, my circle of friends would pick up dog shit on the end of a good length 'throwing stick'.

You would be surprised how far a well matured dog turd could go.

Pity the owner of one Spanish Style villa with white walls. He must have thought dogs could fly.

🙂

• lardarse wrote (see)
    marshallini wrote (see)

All dog owners are selfish pricks and all dogs should be killed!

Hear hear! Though your attitude is a bit wussy, i'd have the owners butchered too.

carterusm wrote (see)
    marshallini wrote (see)

Do explain how I, a dog owner who picks up bags of dog shit after him when my dogs do it on the pavement so knobheads like you dont tread in it, am a selfish prick ?

Are you blind, a shepard, in the military/police/customs? if not then the only reason for that dog's existence is for your pleasure and enjoyment - selfish.
    Dogs uses up the earth's finite resource and gives nothing back. selfish.
    The £1000s you pay for it's food, grooming, medical/vetinary care each year would be better spent on more humanitarian causes.
    Dogs are just dirty, savage, noisy, wastes of space and resources.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of the old dogs there Marshallini image

• Well, in my opinion the exact same argument can be put forward regarding human offspring. I have pretty much the same emotional response towards other people's children as marshallini has towards dogs. (Though I normally keep it to myself or in extreme situations express it in as politely restrained a fashion as I can.) The portion of the earths resources that isn't being used up by the vile brats I chose not to selfishly have can therefore be diverted guiltlessly to my dogs who behave better than most children and are never ever present in restaurants or cinemas to throw tantrums and/or food and ruin my night.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

So you use your dogs as a substitute for children?

Right....

backs away slowly...

• Well I object strongly to anything anyone ever does that I don't do. It's unnecessary, a waste of resources and selfish.

• Especially pipe smoking runs-with-dogs.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That sentence is right up there with the infamous, "don't do what Donny Don't does" in terms of clarit-ah. image

• marshallini wrote (see)
    lardarse wrote (see)
    marshallini wrote (see)

Hear hear! Though your attitude is a bit wussy, i'd have the owners butchered too.

carterusm wrote (see)
    marshallini wrote (see)

Do explain how I, a dog owner who picks up bags of dog shit after him when my dogs do it on the pavement so knobheads like you dont tread in it, am a selfish prick ?

Are you blind, a shepard, in the military/police/customs? if not then the only reason for that dog's existence is for your pleasure and enjoyment - selfish.
    Dogs uses up the earth's finite resource and gives nothing back. selfish.
    The £1000s you pay for it's food, grooming, medical/vetinary care each year would be better spent on more humanitarian causes.
    Dogs are just dirty, savage, noisy, wastes of space and resources.

thinks you  must of been sexually abused by a dog with all this anger,lighten up and go for a jog it might calm you down but mind the dog shit.

• Marshallini - I'm guessing from your attitude that you don't have a partner and that you spend your nights in front of a pc with your hand down your trousers ? If you do have one I feel very sorry for them having to put up with a twat like you. You suggest I spend my thousands on more humanitarian causes than my dog ? If i did the first thing I would do is have your sort (knobheads) sterilised to make sure the rest of the decent folk out there aren't subjected to the offspring of the likes of you. My dog gives me plenty back as it happens, not that you would know but are prepared to comment on. And yes, I am in the police so have access to plenty of dog loving colleagues, probably in your area too. Even if my dog is a dirty savage I would sooner have him than an arrogant, poorly educated tosser like you.

Run-with-dogs - well said, but if I was you I would shove the pipe up marshallini's arse image

Robert - you may have hit the nail on the head about marshallini. However, the only shit to be avoided is what comes out of his mouth image
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    carterusm wrote (see)
    Marshallini - I'm guessing from your attitude that you don't have a partner and that you spend your nights in front of a pc with your hand down your trousers ? If you do have one I feel very sorry for them having to put up with a twat like you. You suggest I spend my thousands on more humanitarian causes than my dog ? If i did the first thing I would do is have your sort (knobheads) sterilised to make sure the rest of the decent folk out there aren't subjected to the offspring of the likes of you. My dog gives me plenty back as it happens, not that you would know but are prepared to comment on. And yes, I am in the police so have access to plenty of dog loving colleagues, probably in your area too. Even if my dog is a dirty savage I would sooner have him than an arrogant, poorly educated tosser like you.
    Run-with-dogs - well said, but if I was you I would shove the pipe up marshallini's arse image
    Robert - you may have hit the nail on the head about marshallini. However, the only shit to be avoided is what comes out of his mouth image

I'll forward your balanced argument to your collegues then.image

🙂

• A lot of thought went in to that ric !