Clowne Half-Marathon 2012

compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
will be entering this great race again love the course in the countryside

Comments

• Entered and looking forward to itimage

• Entered. It will be my first half marathon.image

I believe it's one of the toughest courses, but I love running in the countryside and hills  are much more interesting than flat.image

• Also entered and also my first half marathon. How is everyone's training going ?
  • Irish A wrote (see)

Entered. It will be my first half marathon.image

I believe it's one of the toughest courses, but I love running in the countryside and hills  are much more interesting than flat.image

carterusm wrote (see)
    Also entered and also my first half marathon. How is everyone's training going ?

Good luck Irish A and cartersum on your debuts at 1/2 marathon. Clowne is a good course I would say its underlating rather than hilly (for hilly enter Eyam 1/2 in Mayimage).

The only drawback with Clowne is that it is quite open countryside so can be affected by the weather (i.e wind and rain). Hope compo agrees with this as I think he has done it more times than me.

Training going well at the moment long run upto 15 miles and weekly training normally above 60 miles a week (easy week this week as going away for a long weekend with the familly and NOT taking running kit). Last few weeks have been endurance based but from next week starting to add in more speedwork.

• Have entered as well. Did it a few years back riggsy is right it is undulating but lovely course. Ran langdale marathon on weekend so hoping hilly bits will feel like road bumps.
  • Good stuff riggsy and good luck irish.

What times are you both hoping to achieve ?

My 'real' training only started a week ago. Prior to that I was running about 40 miles a week but there was no structure to it. Now I've got my heart rate monitor and watch and am using the proper training zones etc. I have also changed my diet so it is more healthy and have cut down drastically on the booze (still going to have a few on a Saturday night though !). I can feel the difference already; last night, I went for an easy 8 miles with the target of 10 mins per mile and avergae heart rate of no more than 139. I ended up averaging 9:49 mins per miles and 142 bpm. I felt fine after the race and really good this morning so I'm off to a good start. Plan to do a 6 miles off road in the Peaks tomorrow and an eays 12 mile Sunday night.

I know I will, should, be able to finish Clowne in 2:10 (10 mins per mile) but I would really like to crack the 2:00 hour mark (about 9.1 mins).

• Hello

Carterusm I am hoping to get around 1:30 for Clowne but feel it may be dependent on the weather on the day.

Ended up taking my running kit on holiday and had two lovely 5 milers. On saturday ran along the beach from Barmston towards Brid (turn around after 2.5 miles and head back)and on Sunday ran from Barmston towards Skipsea sands along the cliff tops and beach for 2.5 miles then returned the way I came.

This week is the start of my strengthing phase so I will be putting in one tempo/hill rep etc session and one either race (parkrun etc) or intervall session. Long runs will be a fast finish long run were I pick up the pace 4 or 5 miles from home (then normally jog last 1/4 mile or so to reduce risk of injury). This phase will take me to the 4 November after that its a couple of weeks sharpening then a weeks taper before the big day.

Good luck everyone with thier training

• Sounds like a nice couple of runs on your holiday Riggsy.

I did a 10 miler on Saturday morning along Stanage Edge towards Moscar. The wind was gale force at times and it made it really hard going. On Sunday evening I trotted off and felt good so ended up running a half marathon distance in just under 2 hours. So feeling quite positive about Clowne, subject to the training continuing as it is and no injuries.

I wouldn't mind some advice on my training plan though; here is what I am proposing:

Saturday - long easy run - 10+ miles

Sunday - tempo run - 6/8 miles

Tuesday - medium easy run - 8/10 miles

Thursday - intervall run - 6 miles

I've not followed a structured training plan before so would appreciate any comments/advice.

@Isrish A - how is your training going ?

Cheers

• Hello

carterusm

Seems like a good plan with lots of quality runs in it, just one point how are you finding the tempo run the day after your long run?

• Hi Riggsy

It's not too bad actually. With my new plan having 3 rest days as well I seem to recover a lot quicker than before. I was thinking of having another LSR on Sunday and move the tempo run to Tuesday and leave Saturday and Thursday as they are. Do you think that would be better for me ? 

• hi all, new to this site.

i just ran worksop today, and as i was unhappy with my time, i'm thinking about putting that right sooner rather than later, and fancy doing the clowne half as it's nearby.

what is the terrain like? all road? how does it compare to worksop? i was surprised to find that worksop was almost all road, as i had read that most of the course was in clumber park, i was expecting some trail. clowne is 'undulating'... is this comparable with worksop (seemed pretty undulant to me!)

any advice would be appreciated - preparation is everything!

• I am from Derby and done 4 h/m so far this year, running for Save the Children.

2 of these were run in early October, Royal Parks + Leicester.

No running for last three weeks, but need to get final h/m in before yea end.

Is this an ok race, as my fear is that I will finish near 2 hr 15 mins, and will be one of the back markers?
  • I've never done it before so don't know the exact layout. Having looked at the website there are 3 fairly smallish climbs that shouldn't cause too many problems. Why would it bother you being towards the back ? What times did you run your previous races ?
  • Biri - yes its a good race, I've done it a few times now. There are a few small inclines like carterusm says but its certainly not hilly. As for being a back marker I'm pretty sure there will be a good few people behind you, and I think there are usually some 3 hour times in the results, but at the end of the day, as long as you enjoy your run, it doesn't matter if your towards the back does it?

• How is everyone's training going for Clowne ? What are people's current PBs and targets for the race ?
  • caterusm - Training is going well. I ran the Abbey Dash yesterday and knocked over a minute off of my PB in 44:22.

I just wish I had got in some more longer runs as I know I will fade in the last 3 miles. My PB is 1:41; not sure how close I will get to that as I've never ran this race before and have heard it is rather undulating!

How's your Training going? Cracking username by the way mate! image

• Cheers Stevie image

This is going to be my first race so I will find out on Sunday how the training has gone ! I've done plenty of miles but not loads of speed work as I only started a proper training plan a few weeks ago. Saying that, I feel quite strong when I go for a tempo run so providing I don't go flying off at the start I should be ok. I've just broken 2 hours in a couple of training sessions so ideally looking for 1:50 on Sunday. Living in Sheffield has the benefit of plenty of hill training; where I live it's practically impossible to run a mile before you are faced with a hill !
  • Hi all, I'm running this at the weekend, PB potential? Not sure how I'll fair, haven't ran over 10miles since Marathon since early Oct, should be okay! Hoping for sub 1:30

• Bluemoon - its an undulating course, its strange as there are easier courses nearby (worksop for example) but personally I always run faster at Clowne than the other local courses.

I also haven't run properly since Liverpool Marathon so I'm hoping for a reasonable time on Sunday.

• Bluemoon - depends where your PB is. If it's on the flat then no, this is not PB potential. Not good if you needs some miles to get going either as there is a constant climb for the first 3 miles. This will be my forth time on this one. Not sure what brings me back as i don't overly like the hills. There is obviously something that draws me back but I can't put my finger on it. Good luck with sub 1:30...I'll be hoping for sub 2:15!

• For those that know the course, is their a chance any of it could be flooded? It's forecast heavy rain all night on Saturday!

• No idea Gavin. It is a bit up and down so I guess there could be a bit of water in the dips ? Wont you be running if it's bad weather ?

• I'll still run it, I'm use to it now, ran the Marlow Half a few weeks and most of the course was underwater!

• Gavin there is a chance but it's a very slim one. The weather's still looks poor but not as bad as yesterday. So with luck should be right.

• How is the event timed? I was expecting chip timing as most events are but there's no mention of this in the race information pack nor did I receive a chip.

• Got a reply from race organiser Les Banton:

Hi Paul,
    Our race is manual timed, it always has been. This also keeps the cost of entry fees down. On average it costs between £2 and £3 per chip which has to be passed on to the runners.
    See you Sunday,

Les

• Good race, well organised, haven't run it for a number of years as normally in Benidorm where it is a bit warmer but well worth the money

• Hi, does anyone know if this race is still going ahead in the morning? I keep checking the website for any updates but nothing so far. I know a few roads where I live have been closed off due to flooding already image.