Got "Nike+ Compatible" shoes - iPhone or iPod not detecting them

My missus has bought some "Nike+ Compatible" shoes but both a fourth-generation iPod touch an iPhone 4S can not detect them.

Even though they're "Nike+ Compatible", does she still need to buy a sensor? If so, what makes the shoes "Nike+ Compatible"? Surely any shoes would be? Is it a con?

http://i50.tinypic.com/sde5up.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/23t37h3.jpg

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think that the Nike + compatible shoes have a little compartment under the insole where you put a sensor. I do not use Nike + app but do use the compartment to put the foot pod sensor for my Garmin as it fits perfectly.
  • Millsy1977 wrote (see)
    I think that the Nike + compatible shoes have a little compartment under the insole where you put a sensor. I do not use Nike + app but do use the compartment to put the foot pod sensor for my Garmin as it fits perfectly.

Ah yes, so there is!

Thank you image

• Elliot, if you use the Nike plus GPS app which you can get on an iPhone 4s, you don't need a sensor anyway so can wear any shoe you want. The iPhone has GPS built in so I think you only need the sensor if you are just using an iPod nano.
  • Slowkoala wrote (see)
    Elliot, if you use the Nike plus GPS app which you can get on an iPhone 4s, you don't need a sensor anyway so can wear any shoe you want. The iPhone has GPS built in so I think you only need the sensor if you are just using an iPod nano.

The sensor is still £15-£20 and can not be recharged and the battery can't be changed. Bit of a rip off.

• I'd not bother with the Nike+ sensor. It's just a glorified pedometer. Gps apps are free and far more accurate. Strava is especially good.
  • Yes it is a con.

Even if you do decide to buy the sensor, you can just use any trainers from any company - you can get a little pouch thing to attach it to your laces from ebay for a few quid.

• It's no more a con than buying a car to discover that you have to put petrol in it. The buyer should have made sure they understood the product.

While it's true that you can use the pod with any shoes the pod is designed to be stood on, so it's more accurate when placed under your foot.
  • Intermanaut wrote (see)
    It's no more a con than buying a car to discover that you have to put petrol in it. The buyer should have made sure they understood the product.

While it's true that you can use the pod with any shoes the pod is designed to be stood on, so it's more accurate when placed under your foot.

No. The sales-person said it was ready for Nike+, which is only a half-truth. The customer shouldn't be expected to know everything about the product, but the sales-person should.

• It's a con anyway as it's rubbish!

• The iPhone doesn't need a sensor.

The pod goes under the insole in the left shoe.

Then join the Nike+ website to upload workouts.

It's actually quite a good motivational tool, and the

Website is much better now. However, the accuracy of

The foot sensor is usually about 10% out, compared to

A Garmin. The iPhone should be a bit more accurate.
  • I use the Nike+ pod in my Pegasus 28 shoes and the app on my iphone and although I was a little disappointed to see that my battery was running low I soon remembered that I had had it over a year and use it three times per week minimum! 

I would definitely recommend the pod and I love the motivation I get from uploading my runs and seeing the total growing! 

Hope this helps image

• Elliot Bridgewater wrote (see)
    Intermanaut wrote (see)
    It's no more a con than buying a car to discover that you have to put petrol in it. The buyer should have made sure they understood the product.

No. The sales-person said it was ready for Nike+, which is only a half-truth. The customer shouldn't be expected to know everything about the product, but the sales-person should.

If the sales person told you that they're Nike+-ready then they told you the entire truth.  Caveat emptor.