Outlaw 2013

Comments

• Starting my adjested 'PLAN' on monday so Ill be able to adjsut for illness/injury and still be peaking late june (to accomodate the Outlaw half I am in  and the outlaw full i hope to be in)

add a half marathon, pirate diy half and a couple of duathlon/aquathons to hone race day technique, i might actually make it happen image

IronLard. you saw it here first. ( dont Iron Lard, its quite messy when you do )

• yes, adjested. you have to laugh when 'planning' to complete this sort of thin. my OH is convinced its a long suicide attempt

• EP - when I first started running to heart rate I was doing 15/16 min pace, a year later and I am more like 13 min miles, so just keep at it and it works. Who cares how slow it is? Going too fast will be counter-productive in the long run, and you will end up too worn out to do the other sessions and your running pace won't get any quicker. 

• I Fink, therefore I am (dead slow). I'm following Fink to the letter. Ego left at the door type stuff. I even (accidentally on purpose) left my retro Garmin 301 in the portaloos last month at the Toronto marathon, so my only guide shall be the cheapo Decathlon HRM. Because it's all about the HR, the 220 minus age thing is not terribly accurate, and might underestimate your zones. This article is excellent on how to calculate your real training zones. The HR test is pretty hellish, (I needed a couple of days to get over the trauma), but it works.

http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/constant/heartrate.htm

• I did the Functional Threshold Heart Rate test from Going Long which gave me the values that I'm using for my zones on my Garmin.
    I've done a couple of runs recently where I tried to stay in zone 2 and it seemed to work because I wasn't walking but running at a comfortable pace, not particularly fast.
    Up I did the FTHR the only way that I could stay in zone 2 was to walk.

• JvR wrote (see)

I did the Functional Threshold Heart Rate test from Going Long which gave me the values that I'm using for my zones on my Garmin.
    I've done a couple of runs recently where I tried to stay in zone 2 and it seemed to work because I wasn't walking but running at a comfortable pace, not particularly fast.
    Up I did the FTHR the only way that I could stay in zone 2 was to walk.

Hmm, looks good. I'll see how I get on with the calculated thresholds but if I'm walking to stay in Z2 I'll defo be looking at the FTHR.

• I think this HR is going to be a little bit harder than I expected. Training has been fine and I've made progress making sure my runs are kept in Z2 (under 159BPM). However, had my first race last week after attempting this approach, a half marathon in Conwy. I'd targetted a 1h 35min race, which I have managed in training, but on the day my HR rarely dropped dropped below 166 and I ended up running a 1h 39m race. Annoying on 2 levels. My finish time and despite slowing myself right down my HR still would not come down to where I wanted / expected it to be.

Has anyone found similar experiences between training and racing? Am I to put it down to race adrenaline?

• ithink adrenaline plays a large part on mine.............and the gun going off at the start..........i don't think i could ever get 210 in training but get that all the time in races

• I would stay till Fink catches up

• Isn't part of Fink aimed at making sure your body can do the volume (time and frequency) that comes further down the line though? If you are confident that wont be an issue, i would agree with FFT, if not you may want to follow the plan.

I am in a similar situation but a natiral worrier so will be following the plan, even if it does mean reducing the length of sessions for a short time.
  • Stanners, a good HM, but I think you're overcomplicating things.

Adrenaline will take part - like Seren said, my HR is higher during a race than training. Were you aiming to race the HM or use it in total for a Z2 run?

EP: What FlatF said - wait until Fink catches up. Of course, if you're not used to the training times, then perhaps cut back on running whilst the bike/swim ramps.

• 1hr z1 turbo done, was actually ok once I finally got settled i've always been in Z2/3 before so nice to have cracked it.Need better shorts though the pads too bulky in current ones. Yay more shopping.
  • I've just realised that Fink starts 10th Dec, but how do I keep up the swimming over Christmas? The council pools will be shut the entire week? My training will be ruined before I've even started ... image image I guess the North Sea is out in December ?image

• last year i did openwater swimming in the river britrisky :image

but i'm not this year.will fiddle around with the plan..lots of places do an organised christmas day swim

• brit - are there any non- council pools that you could go to?

anyway, a week near the beginning won't make much difference - you could do extra cycling instead

• agree with Mathschick, just substitute the swimming for a turbo session or get out on the bike if you can escape.

It's just a plan, it isn't gospel - things will crop up between now and July that will pretty much see everyone have to alter at least one week due to other commitments/barriers etc..

• Brit as above or start on Dec 3rd (next Monday!) then you can miss a week without worry?

• I'm going to start on the 3rd then I won't feel so bad about bubbles that will be flowing on Xmas dayimage
  • ill be starting tonight as Im well fcuk'd off with the ankle injury I picked up last week.

turbo session to get the blood flowing. 60 minutes, no coasting.

lots of bike this week while the ankle gets fully mobilised and then gentley back into it - but with a little form. no more shuffling like a coffin dodger.

• I've just been looking at the fink training plan and basically the swim sessions are all an hour long but increase in distance by about 500m every 10 weeks. That's a whopping increase in speedimage

• Fink swim sessions rwquire you to grow flippers

Just do what you can in an hour.....
  • Brit you didn't tell me you were going to Falklands with the T.A, you will have access to the fitness suit there ....in theory.

Well I'm screwed for at least the first 2 weeks of Fink, I have torn my Achilles' tendon and it won't heal if I run on it, apparently. So no running till Xmas, and cycling has to be at granny pace. So swimming and weights it is!
  • running postie.........don't panic i could not cycle till the february  or run till the march when i did my first Ironman.................and I still managed to pick them both up enough to do the race.........better not to rush these things............when it was starting to heal i started doing the run sessions as walks....so if it said run 60 mins i would walk for 60 mins.....flat to start with and then building up a few hills.......i think that really helped 

• Its not definite yet, RP - OH says I can go, but my boss may say no - meeting with him tomorrow to find out whether I can or not ...

I had that injury last year - had to lots of heel dips off stairs ... ? Ended up with orthotics that gave instant relief, and have stuck with them ever since