Strictly 2012

Comments

• Did anyone see chelsee on pointless celebrities yesterday. It was a strictly special. She was paired with James Jordan, who is supercompetitive. Erm.... She had to double check the purpose of the game.
  • Raffo caught the end of it and told me about Chelseeeee. Not the brightest button in the box. Oh dear, sigh, etc. I reckon she's poorly educated rather than super dim, and hope I'm not being too charitable....

• And has no desire to improve her education because it gives her a usp
  • Nicky was floppy, he's got real 'spaghetti arms' which I find very distracting. I keep comparing the male celeb charlestons with Matt Baker's circus-themed charleston, I don't think there has been one to match it yet.

I'm really losing patience with the two-tier marking system the judges seem to be using. IMO, they mark Denise, Louis and Kimberley according to one set of criteria and the others to a different set of criteria. I really don't understand why they are so harsh with Louis and Kimba especially, and yet gloss over criticism of say Lisa. Louis might rely on technique to lift is performance but the opposite is true of Lisa and she is not marked appropriately at all.

I caught the last 5 minutes of Pointless too. I always think Chelseeeeee is about 16 by the way she acts, I forget that she's a grown woman!
  • TESS looks like she's escaped from Grease
  • Wow - right bottom two shocker! image
  • BB ✭✭✭
    gold star Frodo image

The right time for Victoria to go and I think both she and Brendan are relieved not to have to climb the training moutain again on Monday
  • *Frodo* wrote (see)
    Wow - right bottom two shocker! image

I also Chelsee on Pointless - more than half way through "do we have to find the answer with the least number of points then? Bless - she really didn't have a clue but there is something very likeable about her. . 

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Thank goodness for that!  Even though I am a big fan of Victoria, she was by far the worst dancer left in by a country mile, Sat nights effort was just awful, all the moves were there but absolutely zero musicality and that is something that I don't think can be taught.  I was dreading it if she wasn't in the bottom two or if the other couple made a complete hash of it and she ended up staying in - imagine the backlash!!  She was desperate to leave - and Brendan too I think.

Pretty much in agreement with all other posters, marking is a bit haywire, Louis and Lisa weren't that bad I didn't think image

I'm in a quandary re Denise, I can't dislike her because she is, I believe, a genuinely nice person and is a superb dancer but there is no way she should be in the show.  I know a number of the others have had stage school and/or dance training but Denise has been paid to perform in a song and dance show (remember both Renee Z and CZJ saying how much weight loss they had from all the dancing in the movie?)  I haven't seen the stage show or the movie so can't comment on the amount therein.  I am also in the minority in that I like James and think he is an excellent teacher.  But to me it's like putting us lot in a race against Paula R!?image

I was thinking last night laid in bed (I know - what a saddo) that I really don't mind who wins and am again at the stage where I don't want anyone to leave image  My 'personality' faves are Lisa and Michael, my 'dancing' faves Louis and Dani.

I loved Chelsee too image

Another example of my 'saddo' affliction; walking through a hotel lobby and there was a pianist playing and I said to Mr TS "ooh, this is the music that Kara & Artem danced their Rumba too" image  .... and Goldeneye will forever more belong to Mark & Karenimage

• Top sec, that was an amazing AT, I agree. I showed a clip to miss by eck on a certain video website and she was mesmerized.

I'm not sure who I want to win, but Denise could go out inthe semi's if she isn't top of the leaderboard
  • It was Mark and Karen's AT that got me hooked on Strictly - didn't watch really before that, but flicked over by accident that night, saw it and couldn't breathe, then promptly burst into tears when it finished image
  • They were amazing. You could see Karen had really pushed herself to come up with something that worked for both of them. I'm not sure I've seen anything of that standard yet this season.
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

I know we scoff about the 'journey' but Mark was one of those who went on one! image  He always could move and had musicality but his emergence from embarassed cricketer to fabulous dancer was fabulous.

• I will freely admit I wasn't watching when Ramps won. I was snooty about reality shows and  - probably more especially -about the sort of dancing I thought Strictly featured. More fool me!

I've learned loads about some dance styles I knew very little about - and I love the mixture of daftness and seriousness the show has. And while people try to learn quite difficult things  - and put lots of time in -  it's so good natured and FUN compared to things like X factor which is po faced, generally mean spirited and takes itself so seriously.

• sharkie - Mark and Karen's AT was spellbinding, for me it's still the best ever dance by a celebrity. Jill Halfpenny's jive was great too, but M&K just had something special. Shame you missed it.

• I will seek it out on You Tube. I have found one or two other key moments on there. That illustrates what I mean about my general sniffiness at the time - I had no idea dances like AT - which I love - would be included. Because dance has always been a big thing for me I thought I would hate the programme. A good friend (Ceal actually - you might have met her on these forums) finally convinced me to give it a whirl. Or twirl.

I was soon hooked!

As I say - my loss beforehand. image
  • Definitely the right time for Victoria to go, at least this way she'll have some fond memories. Another week would have been torture for everyone concerned.

Oh and could someone remind Nicky that he has a partner called Karen? It's all "I trained really hard, it was a tough week for me" blah blah. Makes him look like a ego-maniac image

Re. music that makes you think of Strictly, whenever I hear the opening to Michael Buble's version of Cry me a River I always think of Kara and Artem's AS in Blackpool image

• Morning Strictly Lounge

Missed Sat but caught Sun and it does seem like the right decision

Again Louis appears to have been undermarked and from what I saw I thought Robin and Lisa made a decent go of what is always a really hard dance to crack...

sharkie wrote (see)

I've learned loads about some dance styles I knew very little about - and I love the mixture of daftness and seriousness the show has. And while people try to learn quite difficult things  - and put lots of time in -  it's so good natured and FUN compared to things like X factor which is po faced, generally mean spirited and takes itself so seriously.

Well said Sharkie - I was thinking the other day about what exactly it is that appeals about this show as I have no dance background and zero interest in "celebrity" but I think it is what you said above allied to the fact that people are (generally!) putting their egos to one side and are prepared to potentially look silly in order to try and learn something new and I like that mentality in anyone image

• oops  - repost by mistake

• Sigh of relief - Victoria has gone. I was actually quite worried during the dance off because she appeared to be much more into it the second time round, but perhaps that was just sheer relief that it would all be over soon?

I was disappointed with Michael's AT, as he looked as though he was suffering from constipation throughout, but his routine was better than Vicky's.

Lisa and Robin were better than I expected, but it didn't excite me, likewise Louis's Paso. I know the judges comments were harsh, but apart from the snarl he was a pretty soft looking bullfighter.

Dani, Kimberley and Nicky were all good, but Denise's dance was exquisite. It's possible that she won't win, however, as the public vote might go to the others. We shall see. (BTW wasn't it Tom Chambers who could tap dance before Strictly? He certainly put his SCD experience to good use afterwards!)

• Oh bother - I re- posted again. Wonder if there will be any lines to read between on tonight's ITT. I hope Vicky will be allowed to be her typically honest self.

Don't know about Brendon!
  • Sharkie, are you ok? Do you need a hot cup of tea and a night off strictly?
  • I was keeping the puppy company in the kitchen (she's confined there atm), using my ipad and resending rather than refreshing. Now back on my more familiar work computer in the studio (grand word it's just another room really).

I am not generally such an idiot.

Or perhaps I am.

• Awwww, cute!

Yup, I hope Victoria is allowed to be honest. Did you hear her say she would have voted for Michael and Natalie after the dance off?
  • I heard her say "don't vote for me" and "they feel sorry for us" after her dance on Saturday night. Hope she can be honest in ITT image

• And she's being honest. It's really refreshing
  • Boing! image

I've just caught up with ITT. I'm looking forwards to Kimberley's Jive and Lisa's Quickstep, both look really good. Michael's Samba looks a bit dodgy and I'm dreading Nicky's AT as his posture looks odd again. I hope Loius is able to do the performance side of his Charleston as the dance could be amazing. Not sure about Dani's VW as it looks a bit too twirly but maybe it will work on the night. Denise looks surprisingly wobbly in her Salsa and James really can't shimmy image

• Seems a foregone conclusion that Michael and Nicky will do least well with the judges. My money is on Michael for the boot - it would be brilliant if he could surprise us with slinky Latin hips but I somehow doubt it.

I would infinitely prefer Nicky to go - I forget who first pointed it out but he really is the one sleb who never really mentions his partner. It's me memememememe with that lad. Twerp.

Denise often has a deadly dress rehearal (according to her) then - in classic fashion - it all comes together on the night. She didn't look great but I can't seeing her being less than good.

But it would be nice for someone else to top the leader board for once...