Gym work during marathon training

No training programs mention doing weights as well as running. Currently I try to do on top of running 2 or 3 gym sessions a week, with awareness of leg and core focus specifically for avoiding injury from running. Does everyone just drop gymwork during training schedules or can it be intergrated without knackering the body?

Comments

• Hi Vicky,

Adding in some weight training can benefit your running - all depends what muscles you are isolating though!  If you are training quite hard I would refrain from focusing on too much leg work at the gym.  Although you should look into Brian McKenzie - he advocates squats and deadlifts to benefit running performance - in both short and long distance races.

Best of luck.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    I love weight training! I built 2 sessions a week into my marathon plan , lots of squats deadlifts lunges. building strength n power helped me with hill n speed work and I think it helps keep me free of injury.
  • VY

Maintaining the core training is a good idea and won't affect your marathon training although try and do it after your sessions.

If you're already weight training then there's no reason why you shouldn't integrate it.  If your core routine is fairly comprehensive any non-leg / glute / hip weight work can be dropped (e,g shoulder press / lat work).

Lower body weight training is a good idea if you've already been doing it for a while, with these caveats:

1)  Try and do it on the same day as a quality session, otherwise your body won't be optimising recovery.

2)  Do the run first, weights after (can be later).

3)  I wouldn't do a session after your long run.

4)  Run short and very easy the day after a quality / weights day.

5)  Unless it's purely an injury prevention session avoid low weight / high repetition sessions.  Focus on high weight / low rep with plenty of rest.  You're trying to build strength not replicate running fatigue in the gym.

• Have always incorporated, especially core work.

• I kept up my regular spinning classes whilst marathon training so I don't see why not.  Admittedly I dropped circuits but it was the day after my long run, 20 miles on a Sunday was not conducive to Circuits on a Monday!  You just have to listen to your body and do as it tells you!