How many miles do you run a week ?

124»

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

There was another runner I knew who claimed to only train 50 miles/wk. He honestly believed that was all he did. He didn't count the six mile round trip to and from work as training since it was only 7 min mile pace.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Something else about some of these elites training speed. Bedford remarked that he used to run for one hour and put 11 miles in the book. Dave Moorcroft would be averaging 5:45 min mile pace for bulk mileages. Not all train at these speeds but I'll never forget Peter Elliott saying that he couldn't run much slower than 5:15 min mile pace on a steady run. As for Steve Jones, straight out the door and bang! 5 minute miling.

🙂

• Fell runners tend to be different animals. If you live in the hills a walk down the shops is equivalent to a London LSR.

I was in Llamberis on the morning of the Snowdon mountain race. I was in the cafe at 9am when a guy came jogging past the window, just trotting, not running. The cafe owner told us who it was, that he was running in the race (a 1pm start) and that he never walked anywhere, was always running.

I'm fairly sure when I was a kid we would be running, or cycling practically all the time. I feel a bit sad that as adults we're supposed to wear special shoes and put on shorts and technical shirts or it doesn't count as running.
  • Sideburn- I cant remember who first brought the 160mpw figure into the discussion but I'm guessing it was originally about new zealander Peter snell under (arthur lydiard) based on an average of 7:45min/miles it would take over 20hrs/week. I dont know of anyone who does that ammount a week these days.

Like heow said at the moment I can do decent miles because of no commitments but then I dont see the point trying to take an elite attitude or training regime when someone has kids added in to the eqaution, then I think running is about enjoyment. No point stressing about paces if your compromising pleasure of limited running time.

WiB to be honest I think it is fairly selfish to do 100+mpw all the time if theres a family to think of because in the the time yournot running you'd just be knackered all day. Nuff said on that one
  • I also feel a bit sad when I meet someone on a Sunday afternoon and they're amazed that I'm out and about after running 18miles in the morning, or on Monday morning at work after racing a half people are amazed I'm still walking, let alone in work.

The frequent comment seems to be "I couldn't even run a mile!" and they seem almost proud of the fact.
  • Sorry cross posted most of this page, (dissapered for a couple of hours half way through post writing)
  • TimR- thats true that. I dont understand that apparent pride at there own inadaqacies, I cant spell but dont feel proud of that. So cant see why they say "makes me tired thinking about it"
  • Stevie G, she was (from what another club member has told me) a very talented mountain biker (not sure what level but quite high) and came to club about 18 months ago.  Showed promise from word go and has got better and better.  She is not a big road runner,  loves hills and yes, she does very well at the Fell Series but the North Wales fell series has some talented fell runners in it.  No idea how many do it as I have only done one but she usually gets podium position of the females and most definitely doesn't train as often as I do, was visibly shocked when I said how many miles I do.  There are people out there who, as gutting as it is(!), don't need to train like maniacs, the talent is born.  Could she be an Olympic athlete if she ran 130 miles a week?  Who knows?! 

• I suppose it's better than, I used to run a sub 2hour marathon, or I ran in the first London marathon when it was a harder route, or any hundreds of other excuses.
  • TomR- some americans have a tendency to say "oh I did a 10k marathon" thinking the word marathon must mean anything thats hard.

another one for ya, doesn't running bugger your knees up? The last person who said that to me was 18st. Laughable really.
  • Oh running really does bugger your knees up.

I fell over in May and my knee is still sore.

• T.mouse you know what I mean though.

What did you do to it to make it that bad.
  • I think a tree was involved or at least it's roots and sticky out bits.
    I was running on a steep downhill in the woods and bashed everything.

• All the best with that t.mouse
  • Just worked out my miles.  I'm averaging 24 miles per week. And thats including two marathons and an Ironman.  I think i need to do more. 

• Cougie- I wouldn't do it for the sake of it mate, surely it has to be because you want to do it.
  • Yes - very true.  I think I have my good weeks when I'm training for races, and then periods where it goes astray - holidays, working late, travelling. Still I'm quite happy with my times this year -but the average does look a bit pants. 4 hours a week !

• Looking at avarage is pants.

For example, you've had 9 weeks of taper and 9 weeks of recovery, so in those 18 weeks your mileage would, sensibly, be less than your peak mileage weeks. To do otherwise would only cause you to race poorly, fail to recovery, incur injury or illness.

Doing such endurance events means that your training is going to look like a seesaw.

If you were running shorter events, say 5 or 10k or not racing at all, then your mileage would be more consistant. It's easier to hold high mileage when not racing or when the only races are 5 miles long.

• Ha ha I just read back my post on here and I had said I had ran 2150 miles this year - that is KILOMETRES!  My Garmin stats were showing kms, I wish I had ran 2150 miles...

• Heow - imageneed i say more tut tut. get out there now and run the difference.image

• andy the deestrider. wrote (see)
    TomR- some americans have a tendency to say "oh I did a 10k marathon" thinking the word marathon must mean anything thats hard.

another one for ya, doesn't running bugger your knees up? The last person who said that to me was 18st. Laughable really.

I was running past a pub once when a fat bloke with a fag on shouted "All that running's not good for your health mate!"

• andy the deestrider. wrote (see)
    He I'm with philpub there, 35mins is good but nothing amazing really when you think how many people have done that time, its not really any big deal.

Sorry, but going slightly astray in comparing times here, & the 'going under 35' debate, but wasn't Alistair Brownlees time for the 10K run section of the Olympic Triathlon about 27:30?, which is bloody fantastic, compared to Mo Farrahs time for the 10,000 about 26:00?? (as Mo hadn't swum, or ridden, or run on normal roads/paths)

• I would say going sub 35 mins is a cracking achievement for a male club runner.  I mean, we cannot compare ourselves to Olympic athletes can we?!  They are a rare species.    Brownlees are another thing altogether.  image

• HeOw wrote (see)

.    Brownlees are another thing altogether.  image

Hoping, to be racing against them (if Alistairs got over his surgery)

Well, that said.......not that 95% of us will see them after the start (until the finish line) on 31st December
    http://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=als&subtopic=home

• Got an entry!!image (as have 4 of my club-mates)

There's 447 registered runners, which includes winners from Eileen & Daves previous events over the year

Not a bad turnout for a little jaunt in foot of the Penninesimage

• I do a combination of running/walking every 2 nights for 11 miles at a time (both ways - to & from my house)  & try to push it further when possible so 44-50 miles a week is my limit as I'm cripped with rheumatoid & osteo arthritis! 

It mkaes me laugh with some of my bus passengers. They get on one bus stop then get off the next, which is like, 5 minutes walk away & say 'I can't walk that half a mile!'  so I say to them unless they have some kind of genuine physical inability that stops them doing it then if I can run/walk for 44-50 miles a week WITH cripplkng arthritis then why can't they walk just half a mile with no disabilities?!

• Walk about 40, run about 20. Come rain or shine. 

• Have managed to push running/walking up to 18 miles now. Pushing for further!

• i managed about 33 miles last week, which is my highest ever mileage week. i'll be peaking about 55mpw in my training for a spring marathon, but as it's a gradual increase, i guess it'll be manageable once i get there