Pregnant & finding running difficult!

Hi, have just discovered I am pregnant . I don't know if it's mind over matter but am finding even 5 miles at a steady pace tough. I am normally used to training at a 7- 7.30 min mile pace but this feels impossible. Is it normal at such an early stage of pregnancy for it to feel so difficult?

Comments

• you will get many different feedback on this, but my opinion is on the first trimester don't do anything to heavy/ run to fast until the 12 week scan. second trimester you will regain your energy back and able to train much better. this was how i felt during my prenancy, but every one is different and what is right for one is not always right for everyone. i do recommend you speak to your midwife/doctor soon and ask if it's ok to exercise and how much. also maybe an uptake on iron will make you feel more energetic.

best of luck in your pregnancy image

• extreme tiredness can affect many many women in their first trimenster......just accept it......If you want to carry on running fine but just lower the pace to what is comfortable......

no point in pushing yourself too much or feeling abd about times.

and hope its a good pregnancy//congratulations

• First trimester - wiped out beyond all belief.  It gets better after 14 weeks usually and you get some of your energy back.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    GymAddict wrote (see)

First trimester - wiped out beyond all belief.  It gets better after 14 weeks usually and you get some of your energy back.

My boss was the same. Absolutely trashed during the first trimester. They could barely work they were so tired....!

• Congratulations.  I found out I was pregnant the day I did a 10k (5 weeks pregnant), wondered why I'd found it a bit harder.   Luckily I didn't have tiredness nor sickness so carried on throughout.  Definitely talk to Dr/Midwife for advice.

• Congratulations, just think all the blood and oxygen that was going to your muscles has something more important to go to now. You will get slower... try to be prepared for how much. I am nearly 29 weeks with my 2nd child and still running but almost 2 minutes per mile slower than usual!! I am just glad I can still get out there and do it. Lots of people can't during their pregnancies for one reason or another.

• Thanks everyone, this will be my fourth child but my first as a runner ! All of the advice is very helpful.