ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• I would just like to say thanks to everyone for their advice especially Seren for the tips on threads. Am really looking forward to Friday now and hopefully the weather will behave. Fingers crossed.

Jenf that race looks amazing, all those different terrains it must have been a challenge? I thought I was brave tackling the ice doing the park run yesterday!

Malcs just click on the buy button. You can always sleep on the way there and back!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    my weather app has a big Sun for Friday!
  • Knight Rider / Choisty, what sort of weekly mileage did the RW team have you running last year to achieve your great times?

Only 5 sleeps left, feel like a little kid all over again! Really looking forward to meeting you all image
  • Hi all.......I've just spent a very pleasurable hour reading through all these posts. Like a few that have previously commented, I am also an ex-lurker! I've also been shortlisted to attend bootcamp this Friday and from reading these posts I've been changing between being super excited and having butterflies from nerves. Thanks everybody for sharing your advice. I'm a little worried that I haven't done anywhere near enough speed training this year, but there's not a lot I can do about it now. I'll be coming up from Surrey the night before and plan to stay near New Street Station so it'll be an easy commute to bootcamp Friday morning. Looking forward to seeing you all there image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    welcome to the forum Adrian image
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks for the push Stan - all done! Roll on Friday!

• Sills, I think the average mileage built up to around 50 - 55 miles per week over 6 runs

• Adrian.hi..i would avoid all spedwork this week..will keep you fresh and more inmportantly...injury freeimage

• Morning all!!  Train ticket purchased! only 4 sleeps to go........ well 3 sleeps and 1 nervous/exciting have I packed what I need, will my alarm clock go off in time, what will be doing, will they like me, dont forget my trainers sort of night!!

Hey Adrian looking forward to meeting everyone at boot camp!! I think we are all in the same boat, have I done enough of this that or the other!!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Welcome Adrian,

As G&WT says, I think we're all in the same boat. I've done no speedwork yet because I've been concentrating on base building. I don't think it's purely going to be based on who can run fastest. They'll take everything into account I would imagine. I'm sure Choisty and Knight rider will vouch for that.

I'm certainly not going to risk injury (done that too many times). I've deliberately stayed away from speedwork so far even though it's my favourite aspect of the training.

Look forward to meeting you there!

• Just found out that I have to work late on Thursday, so I'll have to get up extra early on Friday to beat the traffic. Never mind.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ouch Steve! I flirted briefly with the idea of driving but decided train was less risky (though you never know - leaves on the line and all that). I guess if you leave at the crack of dawn your risk is reduced.

I'm leaving the house at 5:45 - we can have a race image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thats a sod Steve. I was faced a bit with that dilemna because I usually have to take my daughter to her dance lesson from 8-8.45pm. Seems she's happy to miss it (or my wife will take her) so I can drive up Thursday evening which is better. Still toying with the train though. I don't sleep very well in hotels either but it seems better than leaving home at 5:xx!

However, tired we may be I'm sure adrenalin will get us all through.

• I'm glad I mentioned about the speedwork on here now......it's very reassuring to hear others are in the same boat...........I've been extremely happy with my long runs this year, but I've only ran a couple of 5km since receiving notification of my place at bootcamp, and I'm well down on my PB. I was originally going to do some speed work today, followed by an 'all out' 5km tomorrow, but I'll re-think this now. Thanks for the advice!

• It's great reading how excited you're all getting - enough so to be worrying about your 5ks - try not to stress though! 

First of all you'll be doing it on a nice bouncy, fast track so if your 5k PB is on road/trail - you'll be amazed by how much easier it feels on the track.  Plus you'll have the excitement of doing it with a real shot of a big prize and that'll sneak up on you and give you a bit more energy too.

Secondly - try to remember that the 5k is not the be all and end all of the decision making criteria! 

Not long now... image

• hey are looking no doubt for personality and more importantly.How photogenic you are for their magazine article.......

so you should bin the running this week and book a manicure, pedicure and facial and haircut and have all body hair removed form ever inch of your body and have a spray tan and full makeup..........( yes thats the men and women ) image

• Sequiny tights and tops will also help you stand out! image

(There were several people with their names on their tops last year which didn't hurt their chances at being noiticed either!)

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I thought I might turn up in fancy dress1

• Hi Seren - This is hairofthedog. I've stupidly realise I set up on account at home and the other in work. I'll stick to this one from now on.

I haven't done any of the Newport runs, i'm from Swanse, but I am thinking of next years Newport half instead of the Llanelli one as they are on the same day. i hope it went well despite the weather.

Malcs & Jenf I really wanted to run in the MT10 Pembrey is a stunning venue and it would have been my first multi terrain, but in the end I couldn't make it.

This talk of time trials has got me a bit nervous now, I've only ever concentrated on distance rather than pace in my training before. Never mind if nothing else I'm really looking forward to some top quality advice.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

hairofthedog/jonathon scott 12 - quite funny having done that. I shouldn't get too nervous about the speedwork - most are in the same boat. Even if you were to look on the Sub 3 thread most are building mileage with the odd race.

I'ts not worth dreading the day or we will end up wasting a great opportunity!

• Sorry - I meant I hope the MT10 went well!!!!

• Enjoy Bootcamp 2012! I went last year and found it so interesting. I didn't get through to the vote stage (sad face) but followed Emma's training plan and thread and then knocked 28 minutes off my marathon PB. So, even if you don't progress any further you'll find the day totally inspiring. You'll meet like-minded runners and pick up a hatful of useful hints and tips.

Don't forget the University offers some accommodation through it's coferencing facilities. Something like Venue Birmingham, but you may be able to find it via the University's website. Don't forget lots of change for the car park!

Have fun folks! I'll be waiting to cast my vote.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Hi Jonathan scott 12, thanks, the MT10 was great! my first one and I'd def recommend it.

This week I'm taking Seren nos advice.. no major running, (nothing I do this week is going to make much difference) ... but getting my hair done etc could swing it!!!!! image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Ha ha! jenf. I don't think having my hair done will be of any use!

AbigailLucy - thanks for the encouraging words. When those that have been comment on what a great day they had (even if they didn't make it through image) it just adds to the excitement. I have a planned marathon 5 weeks later so, like you, will use the experience to good effect whatever the outcome. Congrats on such a massive PB.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I don't even have any hair to 'do' !

AbigailLucy - 28mins! That's amazing. I'm really hoping to find out whether it's possible for me to knock a similarly large chuck off my time so this is really encouraging.

• My thoughts exactly DS2, and well done Abigaillucy.

If I don't get to Paris it will be Milton Keynes. My aim is to knock 28 mins off my marthon PB aswell. That would get me sub 4hrs and I would be ecstatic.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

jonathan scott 12 - I'm going to do the Great Welsh Marathon in Llanelli. I've done it before and really enjoyed it. Amazing scenery along the coastal path and relatively flat too. There were a few turn backs and it's a two lap course but I didn't have any issues with that - made it easier for supporters to see you without moving around too much. Organisation was extremely good. 

Bit closer to home for you than MK if you haven't already fixed on that one.

• Good idea Malcs. I hadn't really thought of that. My first ever event was last years Llanelli half. I assume its a smaller field, I'm sure the advice I get will help me not finish last.

• Won't miss me I'll be the one bouncing up and down in a Green and White Hooped Vest with 'TIGGER' on the front!!