Some advice please

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice please. I've started on the C25K programme and am currently on Week 4. I'm  female, 31, 5 foot 5 and weigh 13 stone 9. Prior to running, I was walking regularly at least once a week up to 8 miles so am not too unfit. Chest wise I find the running ok but my calfs and ankles aren't enjoying it too much. 

Two things, I was wondering if it would be possible to run a half marathon next year. I've been very inspired by reading Booktrunk's thread. The Royal Windsor Trail Run Half Marathon really appeals to me but I'm reluctant to sign up as I've a lot of weight to lose and fitness to gain. How much progress do I need to make before I'm safe to   put my entry in?

Secondly, what sort of exercise should I be doing on my rest days. I'd like something that will flatten my stomach! I'm not able to go to the gym. We have a rowing machine and the EA active games for the Wii. I don't mind paying out for some equipment for home if it will be beneficial. Having had 3 children, I really want to get fit and slimmer again.

Looking forward to reading your responses.

Comments

• Sadly, the only way to lose weight is to less calories than you consume, exercise will only help burn extra calories and tone, it's not a magic bullet. Cut down to under 1800 kcals a day, and be honest.

You've got plenty of time to train for, and lose weight for, the Royal Windsor Trail Run Half Marathon in may. Carry on with your C25K, then maybe look for a 10K schedule, then maybe a half marathon schedule. Just reassess where you are at each point, and don't do to much at once.

Edited due to retardation.

• I second lardarses post - count cals (but don't go too low) and slow and steady, for running and weight loss

. I have dropped 3 stone since Jan and dramatically improved my running from 3 miles at 12-13 min miles to today where I did 9 miles at an average pace of 10 min 18 seconds per mile.

This won't necessarily suit you, but this is what worked for me

Food wise

- counted cals at the beginning using my fitness pal (don't count now but I have a much better idea of whats going in), didn't go below 1800 (except on odd occasions, but never deliberately)

- upped my protein to 30g (ish) a meal - to stop hunger

- ate lots of veg

- kept carbs below 100g

- cut down on crap food

exercise wise

- 2 resistance workouts a week (mine were DVD based as I can't get to a gym easily - lots of press ups, sit ups, lunges, squats, kettle bells etc)

- 3 run workouts, at least one of which was intervals, sprints or hills (walk / run program already includes this to an extent)

- exercised more intensely but kept it short (until I lost some weight and reduced the pressure on my body)

As I said, this is what worked for me, and I worked this out after following every diet under the sun then picking out the best bits, but I'm no expert so can't recommend it to anyone else. Hope this helps though!
  • As for your stomach, its a lie that doing a million situps will somehow instantly flatten your stomach.... Im affraid that wont happen if its covered in layers of fat. So the only way to get a flat stomach is to lose the weight by keeping running and following the above advice! Keep going the key to running is consistency and lots of patience, it will reward you in the end. Happy running image

• Gillian Michaels exercise DVDs are great for core/ab strengthif you can bear being shouted at by a scary American lesbian. I personally love that but it's kinda niche.

MyFitnessPal is the mutts nuts for working out quite how many calories are going into your gob, available as an iPhone/android app and online, after a while you don't need it so much as holeymoley says.

Ultimately the only answer is to cut calories, but it is doable. I did it.

Enter a half now and you'll have something to aim for.
  • I spent a month analysing calories and found it really beneficial. Learning the impact of eating certain things and how long it takes to burn the buggers off. I don't bother now doing it in detail as I get used to thinking it through.

I also found ome interesting articles on recomended daily calories. The averages quoted are truely average. If you have a deskjob it is probably even lower. Its worth spending time on it,