Sports Personality 2012

The short list is out... shortlist

bit hard luck on alistair brownlee and ian poulter

Comments

• Tri isn't a SPORT, silly!

Not like hitting small balls and walking after them.....image

• Then again they have included wimmin again
  • Not a golf fan but from the same town and went to the same school as Rory McIlroy albeit several years before him! He'll be getting my vote.

Would like to have seen triathlon represented.
  • Jessica Ennis, if we're going for an athlete...

But the fact that no British man has won a Grand Slam tennis tournament for 76 years...  and combine that with his Olympic gold... it's Andy Murray for me.

• Wiggins or Farah for the win - can't split them for the achievement - I reckon they just pip Murray as he didn't win the big one (for most Brits) but in any other year he'd be a shoo in - that'd be my top 3.  

• Actually... Wiggins is a good shout.  I'd have not problem if he pipped A. Murray...  Again because he did something truly historic.

Farah was utterly superb...  but I've seen this sort of utterly superb achievement by athletes a few times in my lifetime.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I think it will be Wiggins, Farah, Murray
    Murray gets 4x attempts each year to win a slam (ditto golfers) and unlike RunWales, aside from Kelly Holmes I've not seen a Farah like double achievement by a Brit in my lifetime. Wiggins achievement was significant and remarkable, coupled with a confident gold at the games he must be a shoo in for the title. If we go on personality alone,  I think those two will be ahead of Murray.

Feel a bit sorry for Laura Trott not even making the shorlist, or indeed any of the horsey mob. (Can you tell its not my sport..!)

• So many amazing choices but I think it has to be David Weir for me, I can hardly split his and Wiggo's achievements really but what he accomplished at London 2012 was remarkable. I was in the stadium for the 800m too so got to see one of his golds in the winning.

• makes a difference when you actually witness something.

all magnificent, but how I felt when Farah won was different to the others. leaping about in my kitchen watching on my tiny laptop. the fact that the broadband kept cutting out only added to the drama.

I feel similar to Murray. stayed up all night listening on the radio. i won't forget it if I live to be a hundred.

some of the others, like mcilroy and weir I didn't get to see so, although I respect the achievement, it doesn't hit me in the gut in quite the same way.

• For me it would be Wiggins, Farah, Murray.

I can see Ennis winning it due to her media friendly profile.

• I'd have no huge complaints if she did. She is a tremendous champion and seems very nice.

However, her margin of victory may count against her. there wasn't quite the same drama as some of the others.

I'm not quite sure why we place such importance on a silly award given by a discredited media group, but it makes for a good pub argument image

• The fact that Chrissie Wellington has never won it pretty much shows it's about media profile, not sporting achievement.

• i'm sure she isn't hugely bothered.

• I was trying to explain to my kids what an "embarrassment of riches" means this morning. I used this list as an example. How utterly FANTASTIC is it for British sport that we are genuinely spoilt for choice to the point where Olympic gold medallists are NOT on the list?

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

The fact that Chrissie Wellington has never won it pretty much shows it's about media profile, not sporting achievement.

but then for the vast majority of the public who vote on these things, triathlon is still a minority sport compared to athletics, cycling, golf etc.  ask Joe Public what an Ironman is and most would respond a TV film based on a Marvel comics character - they have no idea what a tri is, let alone an IM.   in the mind of the public, Brownlee has a much higher profile than CW as he won an Olympic gold - yet he still didn't make the shortlist.  and to be fair - he's no great personality!!

and does CW's sporting achievement rank higher than Laura Trott, or even Leanda Cave this year who has won both IM and 70.3 world titles in the same year - CW has been resting and doing no racing so shouldn't count anyway.  maybe last year when she won her 4th title but not this year.

anyway - Wiggins, Farah, Murray for me as well but it's going to be close and could go any way

• I notice they're all blokes FB. I think if a woman doesn't make the top three this year, there might be an outcry.

Not that I disagree with those three (they're mine too) or think you should have a "token bird" in there to even things up. I just wonder with last year's list (picked seemingly by the boffins at NUTS magazine) being an all willy affair if it might mean Jess has a crack at the top three?

• CW not this year, but then I never did say this year. I said the fact that she has never won it, past tense.

I'd also say the Brownlee's have a great personality, just not a media conditioned one. There was always going to be some real achievers left out due to the great success British athletes have had this year, most years Brownlee and Trott would have been shoe ins for nomination (Cave would have been ignored no matter what), which kind of highlights it's about media profile as much as sporting achievement.

Although who ever wins it has to be a better pick than Zara Philips or Tony McCoy!

Ennis will certainly rank top three as she is the media's golden girl.

• Wiggo I think, TdF, Olympic gold plus a bit of politics in rewarding clean cycling and all the years he spent slogging away riding paniagua while most of the peleton was doped up to the eyeballs.

Murray also deserves some recognition, Grand Slam final and Olympic gold and silver just a few weeks apart.

Mo Farah for the double Olympic gold achievement, has a Brit ever done that in 5k and 10k?  

Jess Ennis is also a worthy contender but I don't think she deserves it more than Wiggins. Plus Wiggo has hinted that he'll be happy to retire soon ... maybe recognising a brilliant performance towards the end of an athletes career would be better than celebrating a rising star?

I'm just glad there are no footballers this year image

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I was trying to explain to my kids what an "embarrassment of riches" means this morning. I used this list as an example. How utterly FANTASTIC is it for British sport that we are genuinely spoilt for choice to the point where Olympic gold medallists are NOT on the list?

Well said LB image

Like Xine says, I've nothing against Jess at all but at 26 she's clearly got more to achieve, whereas someone like Wiggins or Weir hasn't. David Weir has certainly been on or near the top of his game for a very long time which is an amazing feat.

• image Tom Hardy gets everywhere, doesn't he?

(That doesn't make sense now!)

• I'd be happy to see any of that lot win. And I hate tennis.

Shame there wasn't more room for Laura Trott. Glad to see the short list has been decided by people who know a bit about sports other than football and know that wimmin do other things than have boobies.
  • 3 Paralympians?  After last year's own goal this is political correctness gone mad.

• I think there should be two awards: Sports person for the one achieving the most memorable results and sports personality for someone with, well, personalityimage Always nice to see a happy bunny winning things and not a sour puss!

• embarrassment of riches indeed. I remember being very impressed with all of the shortlisted's performances at the olympics. I'm not a follower of golf at all, but I can appreciate that Rory is great at what he does.

Personally, I found Katherine Grainger's achievement to be a real inspiration, and an example of determination and dedication. After three silvers in successive Olympics, to finally get her hands on the Gold with her last throw of the dice is a great story.

Looks like the bookies have tipped Wiggins to take it though. Any of the contenders this year would be worthy winners.

• Wiggins gets my vote.  Epic year for him.

• don't they usually have a few awards on the night? like best overseas sports personality, best team etc? I'd like to see a special mention to everyone involved in the 800m final, especially David Rudisha, who threw the tactics out of the window and just went balls to the wall from start to end.

• xine267 wrote (see)

image Tom Hardy gets everywhere, doesn't he?

(That doesn't make sense now!)

Littlecopy/paste problem there originally image

• Someone should have had a quiet word with Chris Hoy: 'Look mate, you won it after the last Olympics, you've got a knighthood and a velodrome named after you.  Would you mind if we didn't nominate you this time and put Laura in in your place?  Ta very much.'