1st half marathon recovery worries.

afternoon all.

i did my first 1/2 marathon in prep for next year's VLM the weekend before last and i'm still suffering.

i'm 36, generally fairly fit and started running in June. i've been nice and sensible with my mileage increases and apart from a slight achillies tweek in july have been trouble free. however, i have always found that my calfs feel quite tight for the first couple of km on most runs. this seems to happen regardless of how much warm up i do. but it always fades so i haven't really worried about it.

judging by my build up runs i was planning on a 1:50-55 in the race but ended up managing to pull a 1:45 out of the bag from somewhere. obviously i was a bit stiff for the next couple of days and i've only eased myself back into training.

the problem is that i don't seem to have any stamina at all. today i managed 8km at 5:30 pace where before the 1/2 i was happily knocking out 10km runs at 4:45 pace. my calfs feel like i've run about twice as far at a much higher pace.

i'm pretty new to all this so don't really know what to expect. is it normal that i should still be feeling the effects or was my effort in the race a bit too much?

Comments