HADD training plan

Comments

• Good 90mins from NightNurse. Hope you've been back to work tooimage

Gaz, 59miles is a top effort in 5 days after a race! Carefull.....

Slowing down!!!??? I've just pb'd HM at 51. Lets stop this silly talk.......

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

38yrs old. 51miles for the week. Rounded off the week with 10m on sunday followed by 40m on the bike. Very windy. Going to have a bit of a consolidation / cut back week this week. 

Good work NN and Gaz. 

• Still a bit of drift on long run (9 miles) Friday night.

mile 2 - 131bpm (72%) - 11:06

mile 9 - 137bpm (75%) - 11:20

Not ideal conditions with all this flooding!!

Shorter run on Sunday (6m) - thought I would just have a nice little jog as I was down in Portsmouth - nice to do a flat run for a change!! Wind was bad (30mph+) and somehow I ended up doing a 140bpm (77%) 10:44 av pace. I had not intended to run as high as 77% as I'm still on base phase but felt good anyway - could not keep HR down running into such a strong wind but pace surprisingly good.

• Brian - brilliant - well done on PB

Thread getting bigger!!! too many good stats to mention individuals but great stuff - love it. My enthusiasm for running is getting stronger!image

• Good weeks mileage Keir.

BD2000, I'm not sure of what I said last time but taking mile 3 and last mile would be a fairer measure of drift. Gives you 2 miles to warm-up properly. Well done getting out in the gale force wind. Good resistance training! 

Gym this morning and 7.6 tired miles at lunch. DrDan, I was out round HP this lunch and plan to get up there again tomorrow. You out tomorrow?

• No running for me!   Damn lurgy now!   Its on my chest so not risked it.

• Spen, Get well soon!

• Nice cross training there keir

Allways good to have a load of enthusiasm, keep it in check though. dont want to hear about you getting any niggles bd2000

spen take care, rest up with that one, plenty of greens an all that.

Another pleasing run today.

30mins out

30:29mins back got me 8.21miles at 7:22pace (995 beats per mile)

135 ave heart rate. (sub 70%)

Begining to wn
  • Nice cross training there keir

Allways good to have a load of enthusiasm, keep it in check though. dont want to hear about you getting any niggles bd2000

spen take care, rest up with that one, plenty of greens an all that.

Another pleasing run today.

30mins out

30:29mins back got me 8.21miles at 7:22pace (995 beats per mile)

135 ave heart rate. (sub 70%)

Begining to wonder if I may be best doing some sessions at 65% or even 60% because these 70% runs are feelin a bit qiuck now although earobically they still feel as easy as when I started hadd. Maybe it just takes time for the legs to get used to it.
  • Also dont know why my message split in two just then.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

You can say that again ATD!

• Keir-image that is all.
  • AtD, know where your coming from. U will need to pace your runs on how your legs feel. Recovery-easy-steady etc. Depending on what you did the day (s) before. Recovery runs may be below 65%, depending on the state of your legs.
  • Congrats on the PB Brian.

Spen: I hope the lurgy clears up. I've been running with a cold for the last few nights that I'm hoping doesn't decide to develop into something more debilitating. Don't think the weather is helping, I've got soaked 3 out of my last 4 runs.

Good weeks running Keir. Well done Andy, Mace, AGF and BD.image

Sorry if I've missed anyone!

• Just back from 8.25 @8.50 pace   63 mins..max 75%  average HR 69%.

What I want to ask please is...is it usual to go from consciously having to SLOW down to keep HR down a couple of months ago to now having to consciously speed up and keep checking garmin/hrm and make my self  up the pace to get HR up ? it does feel good to be running instead of plodding at over 9.30s but also feels weird.

Knocked a whole 4 mins of this route today at same hr.image

• Is anyone frustrated like me at running so slowly ? i did 5 miles today and it felt like walking pace, just under 10 mm pace when can you start doing faster speed work ?

My pb for hm is 1:25 not as fit now but working on it, got a 10k on sunday but running this slow  makes me feel like i'll never get faster ! someone tell me i'm wrong and just be patient

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Your 70% is impressive AtL. It is just over 1min/m faster than mine.

Brian - have a missed your HM pb? Where / when / what was it.

You don't seem to have much luck at the moment Spen. At least the lurgy gives your injury extra recovery time.

Great work on your run today NN. I have only been doing this a while but I am certainly finding that I think I am running easy at times, only to look at my HRM and realise I am 5bpm too slow. That often happens running down hill and the opposite up hill, but certainly it is happening more regularly on the flat. I guess pace perception is stronger than 'feel' perception.

Up before the crack today. 11.4m completed by 7am - 8.20m/m @ 140 (72%). And a colleague has persuaded me to go out for a 6m run after work today. - tired legs tonight!

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    ashman wrote (see)

running this slow  makes me feel like i'll never get faster ! someone tell me i'm wrong and just be patient

You are wrong. Just be patient! image

• Ashman I only follow advice from the thread and cant offer any advice especially as your times are way faster than mine , but I very nearly gave up on the slow stuff at first as it seemed ridiculous to have to keep slowing down to virtually walking pace at times.

I havent run over 75% for over 2 months the last fast run I did was a 10k race back at the beginning of Oct (47 mins).

I have gone from 10 min miling to 8.50 now and will soon add some fasterstuff..beginning with a club run tomorrow @ 8.15s which hopefully will give me an 80%..will see.

Keir that is a silly time to get up image on my days off work (like today) I just about manage to get up at 8.30...and thats a struggle..mind you after 20 years of night shifts I am virtually nocturnal

Oh my first post should be 8.50 pace 73 mins..image for 8.25m ..used to be 77 mins for that route

• NN, Love it when a plan comes together. At the risk of repeating myself, it's like banging on the door for ages, and eventually the door opens and lets you in.

Keir, Eindhoven (Netherlands) 14th October. I ran 80:45 which was 3s off my pb. I was a little disappointed at first because I had targetted sub-80, but all-in-all I ended up happy.

ashman, read back on the thread and you will see that most have the same reaction as you. Then read the success stories too. If carried out correctly, hadding generally gets results. Don't hadd your race, race your race.

Brass Monkey session 1:

7.45 miles in 57:42, HRav 138, incl 10x90s (60s recovery jog). HRmax=178.

90s paces came out between 5:27 and 5:52 depending on whether it was slightly uphill or downhill.

• NN. I'm the same, I've been a shift worker for over 20 years and just can't make myself get up and run much before mid-morning. 

• ashman - I'm currently in base phase and yes it was frustrating at first. Still working on my aerobic capacity - no subLT's yet - but it won't be long - I can feel it in my bones!!image

• Ashman. It's a mindset thing. Slow running can be enjoyable when you take in surroundings. If you really must then the old park run does no harm as it demonstrates that you have "not lost it" and often surprised and keeps you focused in more slow running.

NN, yes - I have experienced that now I am fitter- especially after a days rest when body is feeling fresh!!
  • I closed my computer all last week as my family was in town for Thanksgiving...and I came back to all this! Man, it took me two long sessions to catch up. You guys have been busy running (and writing tooimage). Great reading...thanks.

Well, I pushed my long run to 16 miles on Sunday and did the last 5 at about 78% effort. All felt very good...maybe a bit of tightness over the sports hernia site but only in the final mile (and nothing lingering at all). Had a nice 11 miler today at 72%. Overall, I'm finally hitting 50 miles per week again, my legs are fresh, and I'm now getting itchy to reintroduce some 80% runs. But will not as my cake is very undercooked. I think I now need to go back to my physio and get a nice program in place to strengthen my core. I've never really done core work (hence the injury) and literally can't even engage the right muscles (she laughs at me). Only when I can do all the core work with out pain in my injury site will I start the fast stuff again.

It's just nice to be able to run when I want to (and for generally as long as I want to) again.

• macemace ✭✭✭

NN - lovely HADDing

Spen - someone doesn't like you at the mo, take care

VT - 50M per week, itching for the faster stuff .... that's about where i am, have just introduced weekly sub LT's.

atd - 995 beats is admirable.

Gaz - cheers image

ashman - be patient image

Keir - that's a mighty fine 11.4

Brian - 20th for age would be awesome, go for it, SURELY within your capabilities.

Tek - how's your knee doing dude ? Just read back a bit and saw you asked about my sub LT progression. My first was back in July and i've done 10 since.

July - 8:25/m @ 140bpm  ( 1160 beats per mile )

Today - 7:22 : 149bpm ( 1099 beats per mile )

Going on 4 seconds per beat, which is about my average, i reckon that's an improvement of about 27secs per mile for same effort. Not outstanding, and not as much as my improvement at lower HR,  but then i don't do them regularly and only once a week when i do. Another plus is that my drift is much better now.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Today's run, 10M with jsut under 8M sub-LT.

Lap     Distance      Time         Pace           HR          %

1         1.32             9:44          7:22           143         79

2         1.32             9:40          7:19           148         82

3         1.32             9:36          7:16           151         83

4         1.32             9:42          7:21           152         84

5         1.32             9:49          7:26           151         83

6         1.32             9:51          7:28           150         83

TOT     7.92             58:22        7:22           149         82

Last week 6.6M @ 7:21 @ 150  .... so similar but much windier today and am quite happy with that. I think i should be staying at this intensity for a while yet though.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Good plan on the core work VT. I go to a core session once per week as despite my best intentions, there is no way I would do this by myself otherwise.

Great progression and excellent consistency there Mace. Am I right in thinking that you do you do this sub LT run once per week? and how long have you added this to the weekly programme?

5m @70% this morning to make 27 for the week so far.