Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Thanks Wordslinger and Tenjiso- such kind words do mean a lot image

Hope you enjoy your easy run Wordslinger, and hope your rest helps your knee Tenjiso- it's good that you've recognised and decided to rest early image

• Oh poor you Sarah image Are you fairly new to running, I found in my first few months I used to get a few 'niggles' and pains and minor injuries, and then it was as if my body got 'used' to running and touch wood have been injury-free ever since.

You've just run a stonking half marathon and 10k time so your training is in a really good place already. Just get some rest in and hopefully it's nothing too serious. A couple of weeks off running won't impact your marathon training and you'll come back ready and raring to go image

Keep us posted how you get along.

Good run this morning for me - 1 mile warm-up down to the seafront, flat 13.1 miles along the seafront at 8.30 per mile, 1 mile warm-down. That's my 'work' done for the weekend - beer and curry later image

Have a good weekend and good luck to all those racing image

• That sounds like a nice refreshing run Barbie, making me jealous.  I'm about as far from the coast as it's possible to get in this country.

• Aw thanks Barbie, that's really cheered me up image I only started in April so I suppose it's to be expected! Just trying to get a slot with my club wizard physio image

Cracking run, well done! You definitely earned your beer and curry image

• off to W/W tomorrow not shore about the weight loss this week as we’ve been away for the weekend and tracking the points was easy so will have to see Boscombe went ok and although it rained all of Saturday Sunday started dry and for a moment thought we were going to keep dry not to be got to the last mile and a half and empted down we were last to finish by a long way and according to my Garmin we took 1:24:36 but the run felt faster than that so will wait for the official time to be posted

•  Build up half marathon race for Brighton Marathon just opened. Richmond 13.1 on Easter Sunday..2 weeks before Brighton .Richmond 13.1

• Running on a Monday? That hasn't happened in a while. (Monday has been a rest day for months!) My diary for the week is looking pretty congested, which means lunchtime runs are mostly out, and I'm getting a little tired (forgive the pun) of getting up at 6am to run before work. That doesn't mean I won't, just that I may only do it the once this week! Anyway, that'swhy I ended up running 10k this evening after work - it made for a pleasant change at any rate.

Richard - my h/m warm up will be Llanelli, but thanks for pointing us towards Richmond - looks like a good event.

Dita - I'm running for the MS Society, but thanks.

Barnie - I love running by the coast: Gower, Swansea and Carmarthenshire are regular local haunts!

• Injury update: my shin splints are feeling a bit better!!! Have had to completely stop all training including bike!!!!

This has paid off as last couple of days can feel very little pain. Might go out Sunday for gentle bike ride or very gentle run.

After many yrs of running or doing some kind of activity 4/5 times a week I finally gave in to my body saying I need a break. I must say I feel very refreshed and really looking forward to getting those new running shoes and going out for a run.

Good luck to all those with injuries and to the rest of u take it easy, not good conditions there.
  • Sarah Marsbar how are things with you - any better? Hope the physio has helped.

Stephen - fantastic news you must be delighted to feel better!  Had a thought though - are your running shoes really 'new' new - people seem to develop shin splints when they change shoes -obviously there is a change of support etc for the foot........

Hill reps for me tomorrow, speed work on Thursday and on Sunday I have a trails run - only 4 ish miles but I suspect it will be muddy!!     image

• Hi jelly baby I have not brought yet but reckon my old ones are not good for me. Going to go to running shop next Wednesday and c what advice I get. Prob go for a bike ride this weekend and play it safe.
  • Morning all

Have decided to start my Brighton training a little early so am going to repeat the week 1 training schedule for a couple of week not going to stick to it religiously but need to build the mileage up a bit before the training plan starts in earnest

So did 5 miles yesterday should do 6 today but as i did 6 Sunday may just do the other 5 miles so i can have a rest day Thursday before the 10 on Friday

Stephen great news about the shine splints hope the shoes turn out ok

• Sorry I haven't popped on for a couple of weeks. have given running a rest for a week or so to see if it helps with my niggles. Been back out this week and so far so good.

Had a funny experience yesterday getting fitted for shoes. I had never been on a treadmill before and well let's just I definately would have fallen off if the guy wasn't standing behind me and occasionally pushing me forward!! I hated it...how do people run on them?

Anyway with a bit treadmill and lots of running around the shop....I felt like a child trying on shoes in Clarks!! I got a nice new pair of brooks.

Have started my training plan...although I really need to master some early morning runs because December and jan are super busy with the children.
  • Hehe Gem - I still remember my first go on the treadmill.  When I got off, after only ten minutes, it felt as if the gym walls were moving.  Very strange feeling, but it all passes after a couple of short runs.

I actually enjoy treadmill running because it's so controllable depending on what I'm trying to achieve.  My longest treadmill run has been just over 20 miles, though I have to say I much prefer running outdoors for anything above 60-90 minutes.  I find outdoor running feels easier in general, but I am terrible at sticking to genuinely easy pace if I am not on a treadmill.  Especially if people can see me image

• Hello all - sneaking in to ask for some help. Thought I'd get organised and book a hotel for Brighton, only to find everyone else has snuck in already and booked all the family rooms in Brighton! So can anyone recommend where I can look now? Is there a nice easy train line in (Hove ?)

I've been trying to read back but you're all too chatty! Another Friday night job, along with sorting out a scheduleimage
  • B & T we are staying in Eastbourne (at OH's parents but there are lots of hotels there). Its a train in the morning, you do have to change but its very simple - follow all the other runners image

What I have done is booked a Brighton hotel for after the race. We travelled back last year and nearly missed the stop as we were so tired (ahem boozed up)!

• Curly45 - great - thanks! Will have a look at Eastbourne at the weekend. I thought booking for London this year was bad, but obviously Brighton marathoners are a much more organised lot!

Bit nippy this morning - anyone else brave the frost?

• Hello all! Hope you're all well and enjoying your running image

Went to see the physio yesterday and he's 99.9% certain I don't have a stress fracture, he thinks I've sprained an ankle ligament whilst dodging puddles and piles of wet leaves- happy days! Will hopefully be running again come the weekend image

• Sarah great news look forward to that first run

• Excellent news Sarah, happy running! image

• I am the Sports Massage Therapist at a Halton Health and Fitness Centre (nr Aylesbury). We are running a completely free marathon clinic for local people running marathons in 2013 to help get your training started on the right foot. Clinic includes gait analysis, injury screening, sports massage and advice on training and technique.  See http://www.twogoodsportsmassage.co.uk/2/post/2012/11/free-marathon-clinic.html for full details.

Absolutely no obligation to buy any further packages but 20% of anything you do buy will be donated to a charity of your choice.

• Thanks Tony and Barbie- cannot wait! Am going to make my return at Saturday morning's parkrun and aim for a much-needed PB- my last 5K time was set in May, when I was far less fit, and broke my metatarsal in the last km!

• Sarah - that's really good news. Make sure it feels properly better before you run on it!

Made it out for my 1st run in a week - have been full of a cold, but have just reached the coughing & snotty stage now. Enjoyed my run - frosty and beautiful and didn't cough up a lung, so all good!
  • Hope the parkrun goes well Sarah!

Glad to hear you are back out running and not coughing up lungs B & Timage

No parkrun for me tomorrow as I have womens XC instead... am hoping the ground wont be too frozen!

• Looks like it is going to be a beautiful weekend for running - cold, crisp and sunny - my favourite conditions to run in image

Going to do the same run as last weekend, 15/16 miles incorporating a flat fast-ish 13.1 miles along the seafront - happy runnng everyone image

• I did post on here yesterday but then the internet died on me so it failed.....

So, Sarah Marsbar -- fantastic news that's great - hope you had a good run!

BandT - Glad to hear you still have 2 lungs (they come in handy!!).

Did 8 miles easy yesterday having done hill work Wed and Thurs, just a 4 mile XC tomorrow and then no running for 3 days as I'm on a course......image

Lovely weather at the moment - cold but dry - just hope it doesn't freeze overnight or I might need ice skates rather than trail shoes! Enjoy the weekend everyone!

• Is any one else having trouble opening the Brighton marathon website?

• morning all

well the 10 miler never happened combination of hard week at work (4 x 12 hour shifts) and daughter being down for the weekend and it being the first time I've seen her since September and wanting to spend some time with her

the whole family's off in a minute for the Santa's on the run fun run it's only a 1.5 miles but a lot of fun as I've said before

• A big day for me today. Went bike ride 8miles easy and no reaction to shin splints!!!!! So happy can not tell you. Just didn't realise how much I missed exercise.

Next big test on Tuesday going to do a very easy 3mile run.

Well done for all of you getting out this weekend what incredible conditions.
  • Afternoon, all.

So, marathon training starts a week tomorrow - really looking forward to getting stuck in. Looks like there's been some good training going all ready, judging by the thread. I've been taking is easy for a couple of weeks - still running, just not long distances. The furthest I've run this week is 13km, and my 5km this morning finally brought up the 2,012km target!

Yup, I've now run 2,012km in 2012, raising over £6k for 12 clean water wells in 12 countries. (Forgive me for being smug just this once!)

Another easy-ish week ahead, then Wk 1 of the Plan starts on 10th December.

Hope you're all well.