ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Steve, that's exactly how I felt - an impostor!

jonthan, I hope you get a go at it next year, what a bummer.

Malcs, I hope it doesn't snow!  I imagine I'd certainly miss it then.  Now I'm wishing I booked the earlier train..

• Really gutted for you, Jonathan, and I hope you give it another go next year. Sounds like you do very valuable work.

I'm now torn between driving over very late tomorrow night or very, very early on Friday morning. Snow might push me towards the former!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I can't see it snowing in the capital. There's a chance of a flurry on Saturday, just a question of whether that moves forward to Friday. I think the midlands should be fine. 

I think we'll be fine but if there is disruption then no earlier train will save any of us.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    jonathan scott 12 wrote (see)

Malcs - I noticed that the Llanelli 1/2 now starts from Parc Y Scarlets, I'd like to run it wearing my Ospreys shirt, but unfortunately can't run quick enough!

• Oh no Jonathan - that must be so disappointing. Hopefully you'll get a chance next year - you've obviously got something that they're looking for!

Ha Gremlin - yes! Will be good to put faces to everyone's user names! image (Although you can all see what I look like from my profile pic, but I'm not planning on wearing a medal on Fridayimage

Malcs - I think the timing was 9.30 for 10am. There's a cafe there so I'm planning on getting there as early as possible and camping out int he cafe with coffee and cookies! If anyone is there early - please come and say hi if you see me - I'll be the nervous looking one with a pink top on! image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

RRR - I'm staying up there the night before and hate being late anywhere so will be in that nice warm cafe early doors as well. I shall look out for you! I shan't be wearing a carnation!!!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Coffee & cookies? If jenf turns up with her granola bars I may not leave the cafe!

Steve - it's a tough one. Please don't make your decision based on my paper thin weather forecast though, I hope I'm not starting a panic! image

I wrestled with the same options - drive Thurday or drive Friday and ended up with neither image  

To be honest, if it wasn't for cost I would have driven up Thursday and booked somewhere overnight like DS2. I only ruled out driving Friday because I couldn't bear the thought of a Friday night rush hour trip home.

• I probably won't make it early enough to meet you all beforehand, but I will look for you when I do arrive!  (no idea what I'm wearing yet)

Fingers crossed for decent weather!

• I think there were name badges (sticky ones) last time so we'll have to put our real - and usernames on! No carnations or secret handshakes required!image

Definitely fingers crossed for decent weather! We've got snow forecast for Monday here so I hope it doesn't appear sooner!

• Jonathon.really sorry to hear about your bad luck.hopefully they will be able to reconsider you for next year as the flooding in north wales is definitely a one off.............not the regular flooding that some places seem to get.

the sun has been out here so hopefully will be similar for you all on Friday image

getting closer...........these couple of days might see some pre marathon type nerves coming in.....you  might start to feel niggles in places you have never had niggles as you get paranoid of getting injured or ill before Friday imageimage

• I hope so Seren ... everything always seems slightly easier when the sun is shining image I

'm expecting the niggles to kick in any day now ... just like before the marathon! Every little sneeze or twinge might be the start of bubonic plague or LegFallOffitis.image

• Seren, you're so right – I spent a good ten minutes weighing up whether to going to get a sandwich at lunch just in case I pulled something going down the stairs! 

• Malcs I get in at that time too!! and Heading for the cafe!!  I'm the blonde bobbed, grey jogging bottoms Bright Green hoody under black Northface coat with a Turkey Trot Green ruck sac on my back!! ....... oh I look too eager don't I!!

Oh Jonathan that's totally rubbish!! Hopefully RW will reconsider next year!!

When I ran my first marathon we were all stopping in a Hotel in Edinburgh, I shared with two of my friends and had the worst dream ever! when I did finally manage to get to sleep I dreamt that I woke in the morning to find I was back in my own bed in Derby, and I had ten minutes to get to the start line.  So I was filling my water bottle's, putting trainers on all the things I knew I had to do in the morning, whilst calling a taxi as I knew I could never run the 2 miles in ten minutes! that was when I woke up in a confused state! I was shattered!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I'll look out for you. No idea what I'll be wearing yet but the intended layer count seems to be increasing as the week progresses!

I won't have anything on my head - and that includes hair! (all for aerodynamics of course)

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭
    evening all. hope my phone behaves this eve. thank you Simon for comment re ?? sign. I don't feel such a numpty now!

Jonathan I'm so sorry you've had to withdrawimage

malcs, the granola bars are all packed ( strawberry n dark choc)

G&W I had a great dream night before my last marathon... I ran the whole race in a fab time. I was gutted when I woke up n realised I still had to run it!
  • Hi everyone,  I am one of the lucky ones to have been invited to the Boot Camp this Friday and I wanted to just say thank you to everyone wishing us well

I am so looking forward to this amazing opportunity and look forward to meeting everyone on Friday

• Bad news for you Jonathan having to withdraw.

Hope the weather is kind to you guys on Friday the other year there was snow on the track which was interesting!

• RRR - Just to let you know, the cafe doesn't open til (8am I think). I got there last year really early to miss rush traffic and everything was closed. There were just some plastic chairs in the corridors. I wandered round for abit, read the notice boards in the corridors, and then when I got bored of that, went up and had a run round the track, but it was deserted when I got there about 7am.

Have a great time, and remember they don't expect you all to be Pb chasers, think of the categories.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Simon62w - I'm expecting to get to the cafe about 8:30 so that should be ok. Thanks for the info.

Looking like a cold dry one - weather has changed considerably down here in the South East! Brrrrrr....

• Only a long day at work to get through followed by a late-night drive across to Birmingham. Now I'm excited!

If the temperature here is anything to go by, I think I'll be layering up in the morning - winter has definitely arrived!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

The day is dragging a bit! Doesn't help that I thought I'd take a rest day!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

I'm at work and just can't concentrate!!!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Hi Jenf - I know what you mean. I have a 2 O'clock meeting and then I'm b*ggering off home. I've been at my desk since just after 7am and I don't think I've done anything that resembles work image

• I'm in the same boat as everyone else, I'm just as nervous for tomorrow as I get for a race!  

• Good luck for tomorrow at 'boot camp', sad not to be shortlisted.  See you in Paris on the 7th April.  Keep the advice coming.  It will be my first marathon.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Looks like the snow is holding out for another time - phewph!

Tomorrow's weather for Birmingham: 2 degrees in the morning & cloudy - afternoon 4 degrees and sunny. Fingers crossed for an afternoon track session then!image 

Thanks to everyone for the good luck wishes. From reading the above it looks like we're all struggling to concentrate on anything this afternoon! 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - I'm off home any minute soon. Been pointless being here really! Might as well have driven up this afternoon. That would have pleased Mrs DS2!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - forgot to say, may as well just take vest and shorts then!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha image

Are you going up late tonight then? Good luck with the drive. I guess the later you leave it the better from a traffic point of view - and that'll at least keep you in the good books with Mrs DS2!